Hello Rrecroc, thanks for joining the Intel Community.
These are some recommendation I could give in order to try to solve this behavior.
First make sure your motherboard has the latest BIOS firmware. After this, go ahead and run the following utility for you to check how the processor is being recognized by the system: Intel® Download Center
Also, feel free running the Intel® processor diagnostic tool to verify the processor’s functionality
Please check this link to get the compatible version for your operating system: Processors — What is the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool?
For troubleshooting you can get into the BIOS and check if there is an option named SpeedStep Technology. If yes, turn it off and double check if you still get the error messages within Event Viewer.
SpeedStep In notebooks does the following:
- Can conserve battery power
- Extend processor life
- Reduced noise generated by variable speed fans.
When you have this option enable the CPU will down clock itself in idle mode, but if you have this option disable it will always run at the stock clock speed.
For more information about this technology please access the following link: Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology - How To Document
Now, if the issue persists you can get in contact with your laptop manufacturer for further troubleshooting assistance.
I am getting nowhere.
My BIOS is up to date. The Intel Processor Identifier told me my processor was running at top turbo speed (2.6 GHz) CONSTANTLY (100% of the time) ! Resource Monitor said the same thing ...... it does not give absolute frequency values but expresses processor speeds in % of maximum. My computer was running at 180% to 200% of maximum speed AT IDLE !!!!!!
I did not use the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool ....... it requires MS Office and I am not going to buy a program I never use to to open a program that probably is of little use.
I have UEFI bios ...... there is no "Power" tab (as mentioned in the Speedstep Technology link) ..... in fact there are no tabs at all .... the bios program is very simplistic and allows almost no control of anything ..... quite worthless in my opinion ....... don't know if it is representative of 8,1 or not ....... it is a mobile notebook/tablet from HP.
I believe there is a design flaw here .........
I use a High Performance power setting. I am always connected to power.
Go into Control Panel ......... Power Settngs ....... (choose a power plan) .......... Change Advanced Power Settings ........ Processor Performance
As I said, at first, it was "stuck" at 200% of frequency ...... I slowly dropped the % on the Max performance adjustment ..... when I got to 60%, the output of the processor dropped to .79 of "Expected" speed on the Intel Processor ID program .... "stuck" at 60% on Resource Monitor. After adjusting the values up and down in Power Settings/Processor Performance a few times, the readings, per Resource Monitor became dynamic (changing as expected rather than "stuck" at a particular frequency).
I still don't know what to do about this problem.
I have spent hundreds of hours since I got this computer in the early part of Dec 2014 to keep it running ......... Win 8.1 seems to generate new problems everyday .... I am seriously disgusted with the OS and MS.
Rrecroc, I would like to inform you that the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool does not require MS Office, so I really recommend you running this utility, because it will allow us to find out if the processor is or not defective.
If your processor is not workings as expected it will be necessary to contact the system manufacture so they can help you replacing the unit.
Windows tell me I need Officc to open Help/Info file but found as a PDF file on web.
Had problems with the "Baseclock" test on IPDT .... got message of "failed" but several postings on Internet say it is a false positive. When I excluded that test, I "Passed" the overall test. Strangely, it listed my Processor speed as 1.3 against an "expected" 1.1 Ghz but Intel Processor Identifier still list actual speed of 2.59 Ghz against an expected 1.1 ..... ????? Could be a stepped chip ...... info on your website says it has the capability but new bios from most manufacturers hides such info ...... not allowing access also .......
Still have no idea what is causing this ....... maybe someone will finally figure it out. Thanks for your efforts.
Well, my processor is still dynamic ....... apparently not stuck anymore ....... but with the new EFUI systems not allowing you to do any changes (to see if speedstep is a problem ...... speedstep supposedly reduces speed when computer is idle ...... perhaps it is doing so at the wrong time ..... this error always occurs at startup when there is a large load on the processor), I am stuck. This limitation with the "BIOS" is totally unnecessary. This will be a consideration when I buy a new computer ....... or build one.