4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2015 9:14 AM by mhahn

multiple problems bitbaking ww05-15 edison-image

BartHandels

Hi, I'm new to the Edison and to Yocto linux, and am trying to bitbake my first image.

I followed all the steps in the "edisonbsp_ug_331188005.pdf" and downloaded the edison-src-ww05-15.tgz sources.

In my VM I extracted the sources to "/home/bart/Edison/bsp/edison-src/" In which I created the folders:
      bitbake_download_dir

bitbake_sstate_dir

the first error I encountered was an error in the binutils-cross_2.24. A problem with makeimage

after googling I traced it down to a missing dependancy. what I did was:
      "ADD "flex-native" to the edison-src/poky/meta/recipes-devtools/binutils/binutils.inc file, in teh DEPENDS line"

Now I'm stuck with this error:

bart@Workstation ~/Edison/bsp/edison-src/build $ bitbake edison-image

WARNING: Host distribution "LinuxMint-17.1" has not been validated with this version of the build system; you may possibly experience unexpected failures. It is recommended that you use a tested distribution.

Loading cache: 100% |###################################################################################| ETA:  00:00:00

Loaded 1288 entries from dependency cache.

NOTE: Resolving any missing task queue dependencies

Build Configuration:

BB_VERSION        = "1.22.0"

BUILD_SYS         = "x86_64-linux"

NATIVELSBSTRING   = "LinuxMint-17.1"

TARGET_SYS        = "i586-poky-linux"

MACHINE           = "edison"

DISTRO            = "poky-edison"

DISTRO_VERSION    = "1.6.1"

TUNE_FEATURES     = "m32 core2"

TARGET_FPU        = ""

meta             

meta-yocto       

meta-yocto-bsp   

meta-edison      

meta-edison-distro

meta-edison-middleware

meta-edison-arduino

meta-edison-devtools = "<unknown>:<unknown>"

NOTE: Preparing runqueue

NOTE: Executing SetScene Tasks

NOTE: Executing RunQueue Tasks

ERROR: Function failed: do_compile (log file is located at /home/bart/Edison/bsp/edison-src/build/tmp/work/edison-poky-linux/linux-yocto/3.10.17+gitAUTOINC+6ad20f049a_c03195ed6e-r0/temp/log.do_compile.12663)

ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: /home/bart/Edison/bsp/edison-src/build/tmp/work/edison-poky-linux/linux-yocto/3.10.17+gitAUTOINC+6ad20f049a_c03195ed6e-r0/temp/log.do_compile.12663

Log data follows:

| DEBUG: Executing shell function do_compile

| NOTE: make -j 4 bzImage CC=i586-poky-linux-gcc  LD=i586-poky-linux-ld.bfd

| make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.

|   GEN     /home/bart/Edison/bsp/edison-src/build/tmp/work/edison-poky-linux/linux-yocto/3.10.17+gitAUTOINC+6ad20f049a_c03195ed6e-r0/linux-edison-standard-build/Makefile

|   CHK     include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h

|   CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h

|   HOSTCC  scripts/kallsyms

|   HOSTCC  scripts/conmakehash

|   HOSTCC  scripts/sortextable

|   CC      scripts/mod/empty.o

| /home/bart/Edison/bsp/edison-src/build/tmp/work/edison-poky-linux/linux-yocto/3.10.17+gitAUTOINC+6ad20f049a_c03195ed6e-r0/linux/scripts/mod/empty.c:1:0: error: code model 'kernel' not supported in the 32 bit mode

|  /* empty file to figure out endianness / word size */

|  ^

| /home/bart/Edison/bsp/edison-src/build/tmp/work/edison-poky-linux/linux-yocto/3.10.17+gitAUTOINC+6ad20f049a_c03195ed6e-r0/linux/scripts/mod/empty.c:1:0: sorry, unimplemented: 64-bit mode not compiled in

| make[3]: *** [scripts/mod/empty.o] Error 1

| make[2]: *** [scripts/mod] Error 2

| make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

| make[1]: *** [scripts] Error 2

| make: *** [sub-make] Error 2

| ERROR: oe_runmake failed

| WARNING: exit code 1 from a shell command.

| ERROR: Function failed: do_compile (log file is located at /home/bart/Edison/bsp/edison-src/build/tmp/work/edison-poky-linux/linux-yocto/3.10.17+gitAUTOINC+6ad20f049a_c03195ed6e-r0/temp/log.do_compile.12663)

ERROR: Task 77 (/home/bart/Edison/bsp/edison-src/poky/meta/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto_3.10.bb, do_compile) failed with exit code '1'

NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 1835 tasks of which 1831 didn't need to be rerun and 1 failed.

Waiting for 0 running tasks to finish:

Summary: 1 task failed:

/home/bart/Edison/bsp/edison-src/poky/meta/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto_3.10.bb, do_compile

Summary: There was 1 WARNING message shown.

Summary: There was 1 ERROR message shown, returning a non-zero exit code.

it seems like something is going wrong with the 32 vs 64 bitmode, but I have no clue what to do. I didn't change anything in the config file, so everything is on default.

I'm using a 64bit linux distro in the latest VMware player 7 virtual machine software.

anyone here who can help?

hope to save someone else the trouble of finding out how do solve the first error I got;)

Best regards,

Bart

• 1. Re: multiple problems bitbaking ww05-15 edison-image
          nniles

BartHandels,

I think your problem is right here:

WARNING: Host distribution "LinuxMint-17.1" has not been validated with this version of the build system; you may possibly experience unexpected failures. It is recommended that you use a tested distribution.

As far as I know, the only distribution that has been "validated" is Ubuntu 12.04.  Since you're already running in a VM, why not just make a new one with the recommended environment?  Also, make sure you give it plenty of space.  The default image will blow up to about 40 GB by itself by the time it's done.

• 2. Re: multiple problems bitbaking ww05-15 edison-image
            mhahn

I second nniles

• pls note: "LinuxMint-17.1" has not been validated with this version of the build system; you may possibly experience unexpected failures. It is recommended that you use a tested distribution
            • various tools may not match the requirments. You may check Yocto Project Reference Manual, e.g.
              • Git 1.7.8 or greater
              • tar 1.24 or greater
              • Python 2.7.3 or greater not including Python 3.x, which is not supported.
            • As far as I remember there were e.g. issues reported in this forum with Ubuntu 14.04 x64 default image
            • 3. Re: multiple problems bitbaking ww05-15 edison-image
              BartHandels

thanks for replying.

I know mint isn't a supported distro, but as it is ubuntu based and already running as my vm for other development I liked using it.

I also got all the required packages and enough diskspace.

Yes I understand other distros can cause problems, but I want to understand what the problem is here, and how I can get around it. Not just give up and start again, hope that it works then...

• 4. Re: multiple problems bitbaking ww05-15 edison-image
                mhahn
                1. I wonder why you created the dirs in the first place - did you run the setup script at all? You shouldn't have to create any folders
                2. you mention issues with binutils (solved by adding flex-native). I'd start checking whether your binutils work fine and also the generated gcc produces reasonable output.
                3. Then it might be helpful for debugging & testing to run "bitbake -c devshell <target>" which would open up a shell with all env variables ... set up such that you could check more in depth what's going on