6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2015 2:16 AM by WillNUC

Intel NUC D54250WYKH & Windows 8.1 64 bit

WillNUC

Hi,

I am posting in the hope of getting some help.

I recently bought the NUC and added some suitable RAM (8Gb) and a Kingston Technology 240GB Solid State Drive 2.5-inch V300 SATA 3 hard drive.

I quickly found that the NUC didn't recognise the SSD although the Windows 8.1 installation did. It seems I am not alone with this problem so I ditched the SSD drive and fitted a normal 1Tb HDD. Windows 8.1 installs but after 15 hours it is still "Getting Ready".

I have tried three times now but my patience previously ran out at about 8 hours, this time I left it overnight.

Is this NUC compatible with 8.1 64 bit?

I also cannot find a suitable place to post this so can the moderator please move it to a relevant place.

TIA

• 1. Re: Intel NUC D54250WYKH & Windows 8.1 64 bit
          Nixiedesk

It should be...I'm running 8.1 on a Samsung 850 EVO 120 GB SSD without a problem on the 5i5RYH.

You have latest BIOS installed before running/loading 8.1?

• 2. Re: Intel NUC D54250WYKH & Windows 8.1 64 bit
            WillNUC

Update:

Returned RAM & SSD to Amazon for refund.

Purchased Crucial MSATA 250Gb SSD and 2X 4gb Crucial RAM

Installed RAM & SSD and removed wireless card.

Installed Windows 7 and added wireless card and 1Tb 2.5" HDD.

OS worked but very sluggish and unstable even after second clean install

Uninstalled Win7

Removed HDD & wireless card

Installed Win8.1 pro and added wireless card and 1Tb 2.5" HDD.

NUC now working well & stable.

I just need to learn to like Windows 8.1 now!

A cautionary note, the data lead for the 2.5" drive has been disconnected/reconnected so many times now the 2.5 HDD was not always detected by the BIOS. I think there may be a dodgy connection/broken wire but its currently working.

Thanks to you all for your advice in this and my other thread.

• 3. Re: Intel NUC D54250WYKH & Windows 8.1 64 bit
              Nixiedesk

Glad to hear things are better   Really enjoying my NUC. Also after being on Win 7 since updating from Vista, 8.1 is a ... challange!

Been running Win 10 develop preview and looks like at least to me, it's shaping up better than 8.1

• 4. Re: Intel NUC D54250WYKH & Windows 8.1 64 bit
                WillNUC

Well it didn't work well for long!

Just plugged in a USB drive and noticed that the front two USB ports are no longer working. This is a major problem as my wireless mouse and keyboard occupy the two rear ports.

They were definitely working yesterday although a restore made no difference

All ports are enabled in the BIOS.

Unless there is a simple solution I think its time to admit defeat.

• 5. Re: Intel NUC D54250WYKH & Windows 8.1 64 bit
                  Nixiedesk

Well...this link has USB drivers but don't see them getting approval for Windows 8.1 so it might be a long-shot before you throw in the towel.

Intel® Download Center

• 6. Re: Intel NUC D54250WYKH & Windows 8.1 64 bit
                    WillNUC

Thanks for the reply but I fear the ports are beyond recovery. Even if I set the BIOS to boot from USB first my thumb drive does not even illuminate or get detected.

I have opened a Support Case with Intel & explained the problem. They replied asking what version of BIOS I was using and also asked for my address to send a new NUC.

Does this suggest they are aware of a problem or is it just very good support?