1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2015 8:37 AM by WilliamRafferty

How to burn Linux image over SD card

Galileo_User

Hi ,

I have downloaded the SDCard.1.0.4.tar.bz2 image from Downloads and Documentation link . I extracted the tar-ball . I am able to see the following files and folders  in the extracted image

1) Boot folder

2)grub.efi

3)bzimage

4)image-full-galileo-clanton.ext3

5)core-image-minimal-initramfs-clanton.cpio.gz .

Can you please let me know , how can i flash these over my SD card. How the partitions would be done . How all would happen . Kindly throw light over this .

Regards ,

Aditya

• 1. Re: How to burn Linux image over SD card
          JPMontero_Intel

Hi Galileo_User,

The files you mention are the Galileo’s SD card image. In order to boot with this image all you need to do is to copy those files in the root of an SD card formatted in FAT32. The SD card needs to be lower than 32Gb. Insert it in the socket and power up the board, it should boot up from the SD automatically. Make sure your board is using the same version (1.0.4) as the image you want to use. Let me know if this helps.

Regards,
          JPMontero_Intel

• 2. Re: How to burn Linux image over SD card
            ABIX_PL

Hi,

I have been fighting with this issue last week, and you can read my post at: Another boot problem with SD and Galileo Gen 1 - what can I do next?

My solution was: Debian from source forge. I've prepared img file : http://j.mp/galileo-debian-img (0,6 GB), which you can download and wirite directly to 2GB SD card, for example on LInux system:

bzip2 -d galileo-debian.img.bz2

sudo dd if=galileo-debian.img of=/dev/sdb

(if your sd card is /dev/sdb).

Adam

• 3. Re: How to burn Linux image over SD card
              Galileo_User

Hi ,

How can i ensure the Galileo is being booted vis SD card not by Flash .

Regards ,

Aditya Nagal

• 4. Re: How to burn Linux image over SD card
                JPMontero_Intel

If you have a serial console cable like the ones of this document, when you power up the board you will see the grub menu in red if it is booting up from the SPI image and blue if it is booting up from the SD image. Another thing you can try is to upload the blink sketch and reboot the board if the blinking starts again on its own it is booting up from the SD card. Also if you check under /etc/firmware and If you see the drivers they are only included in the SD versions.

GRUB menu without the SD card booting up from the SPI image

Without SD.PNG

GRUB menu when booting up from the SD card

WithSD.PNG

Regards,
                JPMontero_Intel

• 5. Re: How to burn Linux image over SD card
                  Bsessa

JP,

I have been following this issue because I am having the same problem with my Gen2.  My board is clearly booting from the internal Linux and not the SD card.  I have no issue booting from the SD card and running persistent sketches on my Gen1.  I am posting  here to keep this issue moving  because the original poster has not responded.  Are there any known issues that differentiate the Gen2 booting from SD card compared to Gen1.  It is hard to ignore that Adam above stated his only fix was to install a Debian image.

Thanks,

• 6. Re: How to burn Linux image over SD card
                    JPMontero_Intel

Hi Bsessa,

The main difference between a Galileo Gen 1 and a Galileo Gen 2 is the Cypress chip that is the reason why the GPIOs are different between the boards. Regarding on how to boot from the SD card, there is no difference between the boards, actually if you extract the image into the root of an SD card formatted in FAT32 should work on both boards. Make sure the image of the Galileo are in the main partition of the SD card and the image version matches the board's firmware version, I’d suggest you to have only one partition to make sure the board is reading the right one. On regards to Adam, he had problems when updating the boards firmware, are you also having issues when updating the board’s firmware as well?

Regards,
                    JPMontero_Intel

• 7. Re: How to burn Linux image over SD card
                      mhahn

JPMontero_Intel shouldn't even the default firmware on Gen2 support booting from SD out of the box?

• 8. Re: How to burn Linux image over SD card
                        JPMontero_Intel

mhahn - Yes you are correct, it should boot even with the default firmware. But if there is a software issue with the board a firmware update could fix it.

Bsessa - Do you have an FTDI cable like the one showed in here? So we can check if there are any errors during boot.  

Regards,
                        JPMontero_Intel

• 9. Re: How to burn Linux image over SD card
                          Bsessa

Thanks for explanation.

I did have a previous problem upgrading firmware.  I had to perform an SPI image burn to reestablish com to pc. I used my Gen1 as the SPI burner.  After that I was able to perform a firmware upgrade via IDE.  I also just did a firmware upgrade using the new windows tool.  There was no version change, I forced it to correct any possible corruption.

With all that said I am using 1.0.4 firmware  and  1.0.4 Linux image.  The files unzipped with a date of 10/16/14.  Is there any way to confirm the version of the files I down loaded and put on SD? . Again the SD card boots fine on Gen1 so , based on your reply , I am perplexed at what to try next..

Thanks,

• 10. Re: How to burn Linux image over SD card
                            Bsessa

yes have FDTI cable.  what should

I look for during boot?

• 11. Re: How to burn Linux image over SD card
                              ABIX_PL

Look for any Error - the best you can do is make screecast from booting and post it on Youtube - look at this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMp18cqSXvc

It is my Debian booting on Galileo 1, FTDI cable and Putty connected to it. Then post here link to video. After that, we coud help you. Without - no one can help you.

Adam

• 12. Re: How to burn Linux image over SD card
                                JPMontero_Intel

Bsessa, could you check if you can see the content of the SD card from the Linux side of the board? Use the command: ls /media/realroot

Regards,
                                JPMontero_Intel

• 13. Re: How to burn Linux image over SD card
                                  Bsessa

ls /media/realroot does not respond.

This is the last few lines of the boot up.  Do you need me to post the whole run?  Or just tell me what to look for?

clanton login: [   12.052848]
                                  e IO APIC.......................
                                  Password:
                                  [   12.095735] Using IPI Shortcut mode
                                  [   12.099660] turn off boot console uart0

Poky 9.0.2 (Yocto Project 1.4 Reference Distro) 1.4.2 clanton /dev/ttyS1

clanton login:

• 14. Re: How to burn Linux image over SD card
                                    Bsessa

What is the Turn off BootConsole?

How do I turn it on?

[   12.052848]
                                    [   12.082877] testing the IO APIC.......................
                                    [   12.089976] .................................... done.

clanton login: [   12.052848]
                                    e IO APIC.......................
                                    Password:

clanton login:

1 2 Previous Next