10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2015 4:27 PM by Iron_Attorney

Flowstone and edison

Iron_Attorney

Is it possible to run flowstone programs (.exe or vst) on the edison? I know it's linux not windows, so .exe and vst files don't standardly run... but is there something that could be added to edisons image to allow them to run?

OR... is there something similar to flowstone I could try out that will export edison friendly programs?

Pete

• 1. Re: Flowstone and edison
          Iron_Attorney

To clarify my options for an flowstone like alternative, I would need a program that runs on windows, but could export code/programs that could be ran on the edison board.

Cheers in advance for any info,

Pete

• 2. Re: Flowstone and edison
            DiegoV_Intel

Hi Iron_Attorney,

When I write scripts for Edison I usually write them in my PC and then I transfer them to the Edison. I'm not sure if that is what you want to do.

I use this software to transfer the file from my PC to my Edison: WinSCP :: Download. Using this way I'm able to write code in my PC in an easier way and then I transfer the script so I can run it from the Edison.

Regards,

Diego.

• 3. Re: Flowstone and edison
              Iron_Attorney

Yes, I would need to create the programs on the PC. But what I'm after is a program specifically like flowstone (graphical/modular dsp programming) that can write programs that are edison compatible. Linux can't run .exe or .vst files can it?

From a bit of googling, it sounds to me like Pure Data might be one avenue to persue.

• 4. Re: Flowstone and edison
                DiegoV_Intel

Hi Iron_Attorney,

I'm not sure if files .exe and .vst can run in Linux, but there are some options that you might be interesting on it. You can use the Arduino IDE to transfer sketches from the PC to Edison. Another option would be to use Eclipse or the Intel XDK.

However based on your last post I think you prefer to use a graphical environment. I know about an environment like this which is Edison compatible, but I haven't tested it yet. I think it could be very interesting to you so I will recommend you to check it: https://www.wyliodrin.com/

Regards,

Diego.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Flowstone and edison
                  Iron_Attorney

That looks perfect! Cheers very much man.

Yeah, I can use arduino and c++, but it's quicker and easier to create much more complex dsp programs using graphical programming.

Thats again man, I'll have a play with this later one.

• 6. Re: Flowstone and edison
                    Iron_Attorney

On closer inspection, it might not be exactly what I was after, still looks very interesting though! I'm gonna give it a try

• 7. Re: Flowstone and edison
                      Iron_Attorney

Here's another idea... you can't use pure data to create standalone programs, but could I install pure data onto the edison and run pure data programs on it that way? I wonder how processor intensive that would be...

• 8. Re: Flowstone and edison
                        DiegoV_Intel

Hi Iron_Attorney,

The Edison module doesn't have a graphical interface so I would say that installing Pure Data in Edison is not possible since it is a visual programming language. I don't have experience using visual programming language so I'm not sure if you will be able to create applications for Edison. The software I suggested you is the closest version to a visual programming language that I know that is Edison compatible, but I haven't tested it. I will encourage you to try all the ideas you have and post your results. Other users could take advantage of your experience.

Regards,

Diego.

• 9. Re: Flowstone and edison
                          Iron_Attorney

Ok, I shall endever to do so! It might take me a while as I don't often get to play with the edison, and I'm not at all experienced with linux, but bare with me, and I will work my way through the possibilities. If anyone has info on what will and will not work, or any mistake I've made, I am happy to be corrected and steared in the right direction.

After a bit of research, I have concluded that all the ideas would involve installing ubilinux onto the edison, with the possible exception of wyliodrin which i haven't researched enough yet. Here is a list of my current ideas:

1. Install a VST host for linux onto the edison, and use it to run VST patches I have created in Flowstone (which will also work for Max/MSP). I have found 3 possible options for this:

FeSTige (http://www.studiotoolz.net/festige-linux-vst-host/) - Requires Wine to emulate windows and JACK to route midi and audio.

Jost (Jost - Native Linux Plugin Host -STUDIOTOOLZ – the best free audio & music production software) - Requires JACK to route midi and audio, but doesn't mention Wine.

DSSI-VST (Debian -- Details of package dssi-vst in squeeze) - Not a vst host, but software that allows linux audio pluggin hosts to run VST's.

This would be the fastest route for me to finish my project, as I have already have a near complete version of my goal created in Flowstone. The main problem I can forsee with this route is that while running Ubilinux, wine, the vst host and jack, there might not be much CPU power left for running the actual VST.

2. Try out Wyliodrin (https://www.wyliodrin.com/).

I need to research this alot more thourally, but from what I can grasp, it is not quite the same as the DSP programming environment of flowstone and max, more just a graphical version of Arduino or something. I could well be wrong about this. This might well be the easiest to get running as it specifically supports the Intel Edison.

3. Install Pure Data (https://puredata.info/) onto the edison, create a Pure Data patch on my PC, and run the finished patch on the edison.

Pure Data is like Max/MSP, except it can't export the patches you create as VSTs, so you would just need to use Pure Data itself as the pluggin host.

I will post any progress I make in these areas, and will probably have a million more questions before this is done. Any ideas, corrections or sugestions anyone may have, please chime in!

Pete

• 10. Re: Flowstone and edison
                            Iron_Attorney

Ok, so here's my update:

Plan 1 - Creating VST's with Flowstone and running them via a VST host:

So far, I can't work out how to export my Flowstone projects to VST's. It is definately an option in Flowstone, but I am running Synthmaker 2 from FL Studio, which is essentially just a FL Studio plugin version of Flowstone. The only option I can find is to bounce them as a .dll. I will come back to this plan, but I'm shelving it for now as I am having better luck with plan 3.

Plan 3 - Pure Data

I have researched the possibility of running Pure Data on the Edison. From my research, I think it should work. Raspberry Pi users have done a lot of it, with only 200Mhz more processing power. I would have thought that would only hinder my plan as far as reducing the possible complexity of the Pd patches I can run on Edison. I have some basic patches made in Pd already, so I might aswell test Pd on Edison soon.

No news on Wyliodrin yet.