cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD 530 not recognized by HP Envy?

MSawy2
New Contributor

Hi,

I just purchased a 530 series, 240GB SSD for my HP ENVY 700qe Desktop/Intel Core i7. My system doesn't recognize it as a drive, even though it is "working properly" in Device Manger. I tried different SATA ports on the Motherboard, and tried changing the hard drive settings in BIOS (toIDE), which completely prevented the system from re-booting, so I switched it back to its' default settings. The drive also tested out fine using the Intel diagnostic tool.

My MOBO is:

• Manufacturer: MSI
  • Manufacturer name: MS-7826
  • HP/Compaq name: Kaili
  • SSID: 2AF3

I'm obviously not much of a computer expert, just thought this install would be easier than it has turned out to be (I should listen to my wife more often). Anyway, I'd be most grateful to anyone who can point me in a direction that will help make this work for me.

Thanks!

Mike - Frustrated in Nashville.

3 REPLIES 3

MSawy2
New Contributor

PS - I just updated my BIOS, and still no joy...

ASouz7
Valued Contributor

Hello MikeSawyer,

In this case that is seen in device manager, it may be that the drive is not yet initialized.

1 - Go to Control Panel >>> System and Security >>> Administrative Tools >>> Computer Management >>> Storage >>> Disk Management - At the lower section of this dialog box, please look for the SSD (Usually is disk 1) underneath the C: drive (usually disk 0).

If the SSD needs to be initialized, you'll see a message saying it needs to be initialized. Let the Wizard complete the process. If you are prompt to choose MBR or GPT, please select MBR. If you do not get this message, please right click on the square box that says Disk # (e.g Disk 1) and initialize the SSD. If the SSD is labeled as unallocated, then that means it needs a partition created. You can do this by right clicking on the area that says unallocated and select New Simple Volume and apply the default options. Allow it to format it at the end. Once the process is over, you should see the SSD labeled the same format the C: drive is shown. (e.g: E: or F: ... etc). Please let us know if this information helped you to resolve this issue. If not, please contact your nearest Intel Contact Center by clicking on this link: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport Contact Support for further instructions and other options. If you are located in The. U.S. please call this number: 916 377 7000 Mon to Fri from 7:00A.M. to 5:00P.M. (PST)

MSawy2
New Contributor

Thanks, Aleki! VERY much appreciated - I believe this worked! Have a nice day!