4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2015 8:35 AM by spartamet

Wat is het maximaal toegestane input voltage (power supply) voor de nuc 2820 ?

spartamet

De nuc 2820 wordt geleverd met een power supply  12 volt.

Om bekabeling te vereenvoudigen zou ik hem graag vanuit mijn monitor-voeding willen voorzien van voeding..

De monitor voeding levert echter 19 volt DC. Kan de nuc op deze  spanning worden aangesloten ?

• 1. Re: Wat is het maximaal toegestane input voltage (power supply) voor de nuc 2820 ?
          Mgear

Eigenlijk is dit forum vooral engelstalig maar ik zal proberen je een antwoord te geven. Het voltage wat geleverd wordt bij je nu 2820 is inderdaad 12 volt, een hoger voltage zal vanwege de ingebouwde bescherming kort werken maar wel met grote risico;s op beschadiging of het opblazen van je nuc. Bovendien ik begrijp eerlijk gezegd niet wat het voor een voordeel is want je monitor voeding heb je toch nodig voor je monitor? Je kan niet zomaar stroom gaan aftappen ? Wat heb je precies in gedachten?

• 2. Re: Wat is het maximaal toegestane input voltage (power supply) voor de nuc 2820 ?
            spartamet

Hi Mgear,

Thanks for your answer.

Sorry, I am new on this forum, I have to apologize for my misunderstanding that the forum is not dutch, (my native language).   I continue in english, making it more helpful to other forum readers.

My question was :

What is the maximum  input voltage for a nuc 2820 ?  Is 19 V  DC allowed?

The reason for my question : I want to mount the nuc on the back of a Philips S231C4 monitor. This monitor has a separate power supply ( brick, 19V DC). I use the monitor on different locations

I have swapped the original brick for a heavier one, so I can spend a few amps (say 3 or 4 amp) for feeding the nuc.

The only reason for this setup is the use (plug and unplug) of only 1 cable to the monitor to feed both devices.   If 19V input is to high for the nuc, a separate buck convertor (19V to 12V), also mounted on the monitor's back will do the job.I think. I assume that there is an internal voltage regulator in the nuc, is 19V input to much stress for this voltage regulator ?

• 3. Re: Wat is het maximaal toegestane input voltage (power supply) voor de nuc 2820 ?
              Mgear

To be honest i dont think it is going to work for several reasons, first of all please be aware of the formula v=i x r as in if you try to adjust voltage and los in the converter.You need about 3 -5 amps for the nuc and i guess about 3 - 5 amp for the monitor. Even if you had such a powerfull power supply you still have to protect and seperate the power circuits with some filter and diode stuff. Only if youre highly technical you could make such a device otherwise you run the risk of blowing up 2 devices... 19 v is too much for the internal nuc regulator. What you could do is get perhabs a smaller power brick for the nuc and attach it to the monitor with double-sided tape and get a double-power cord solution with just one plug ? You could also go for an intel nuc 5 series like nuc5i3ryh/ryk or nuc5i5ryh/ryk who both actually run on 19v the problem of the big power supply you need helas stays.

• 4. Re: Wat is het maximaal toegestane input voltage (power supply) voor de nuc 2820 ?
                spartamet

Hi Mgear, you are right, my idea makes no sense.

Indeed it's to complicate at all.  My monitor does not have a powerchord (mains), only a 19V input plug. My first thoughts were: "Hey, that's easy, you have only one lead to plug/unplug, because the rest of the gear (keyboard, mouse) is wireless and the nuc is piggyback'd on the monitor".   But that was to easy thinking. Indeed it's too risky to go that way, with a chance to blow up both devices.

Let alone the dissipated heat in the voltage regulator, mounted  behind the monitor, near the nuc. .

It's far easier (and cheaper!) to buy a separate brick for the nuc., I agree that's the best solution.

Mgear, thanks for your helpfull comment !