7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2016 10:47 AM by StepanovMi

Edison Wifi does not connect

ForumMigrationAdmin

Hi folks,

I am trying to set up wifi with my intel Edison, but it fails all the time. Just to make sure, I first type

root@EdisonByChris:~# rfkill unblock all

Then I type

root@EdisonByChris:~# configure_edison --wifi

and get

Failed to connect to non-global ctrl_ifname: (null)  error: No such file or directory
      Failed to connect to non-global ctrl_ifname: (null)  error: No such file or directory

and no wireless networks are listed. However, some are definitively available. So I tried the following:

root@EdisonByChris:~# systemctl start wpa_supplicant
      root@EdisonByChris:~# wpa_cli

but then I get:

Interactive mode

Could not connect to wpa_supplicant: (null) - re-trying

Does anybody know how to diagnose/fix this?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Edison Wifi does not connect
          ForumMigrationAdmin

Did you update the Edison first? (copy the latest Edison image and do reboot ota)

samontab.com

• 2. Re: Edison Wifi does not connect
            ForumMigrationAdmin

In fact I did, but I am not convinced it worked. There was no obvious error message, but it did not change the host name, so I suppose something went wrong. Anyway, this version is now installed:

root@EdisonByChris:~# uname -r
            3.10.17-poky-edison+

Would that be the current version? If not, how can I see what went wrong with the update?

Thank you!

• 3. Re: Edison Wifi does not connect
              ForumMigrationAdmin

Okay, never mind. For some reason upon retry the update worked now and so does wifi!

Thanks a lot!

• 4. Re: Edison Wifi does not connect
                ForumMigrationAdmin

Good to hear that it is working now.

Just for reference, this is how you get the current version:

configure_edison --version

samontab.com

• 5. Re: Edison Wifi does not connect
                  DaveFer

PLEASE HELP, I am really stuck:

I am having the exact same problem, but nothing I do seems to clear it up.

Yes, I grabbed the latest version and updated it and ran "reboot ota".

As per other threads on this topic, I've deleted various log files and all /var/log/journal files. To no avail.

Here's the version I'm running:  "3.10.17-poky-edison+"

BTW:  I find it very curious that many in this forum refer to commands like "configure_edison --version", "configure_edison --latest" and "configure_edison --upgrade" since NONE of these three commands are supported by the configure_edison script on my Edison system.

Whenever I enter any of these three flags "configure_edison", the script promptly shows me it's Help screen which makes NO REFERENCE to any flags like --upgrade, --latest, or --version.

The only flags that my configure_edison supports are --name, --password, --changeName, --changePassword, --wifi and --server.

How is it that others seem to have a different version of configure_edison on their system(s)?

Thank you.

- Dave Ferreira

• 6. Re: Edison Wifi does not connect
                    DaveFer

Ok, Hi again, all -

For those of you who did not get any relief from the prior answers to this thread, here is the solution / steps that fixed MY SITUATION that resulted in precisely the same symptoms:

FAULT:  My /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file had become bloated / corrupted with 250 lines and approximately 20 connection records. They were, all but 2 of them, duplicates.

RESULT:  Same as top of this thread

FIX:  Use "vi /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf" to edit yours down to 1 un-corrupted entry. (Deleting the entire file is  not good. I tried it. Not sure about deleting ALL entries in file.)

Hope this helps. Sorry I just don't have time to provide more details at the moment.

- Dave F.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Edison Wifi does not connect
                      StepanovMi

Dave I love you! you are great! And the best solution.

It helped to me! For some reason I guess, OS thinks when you connected too many times to turn off wifi and don't look for it anymore!

You soultion helped me a lot!