2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2015 9:22 AM by ForumMigrationAdmin

devkit image: what is /media/mmcblk0p for?

ForumMigrationAdmin

I can see a sense in having /media/mmcblk0p1 mounted as the devkit image currently doesn't mount the first partition to /boot. However, I wondered what /media/mmcblk0p2/ is for as it's a duplicate to "/". Seems odd to me. Did a quick search but couldn't find when/how it's mounted.

Can someone knowledgeable comment?

• 1. Re: devkit image: what is /media/mmcblk0p for?
          ForumMigrationAdmin

There is a script that tries to do automounting of all removable storage hence why /dev/mmcblk0p* shows up. We boot from mmc so yes, this device is exactly what '/' is. There is no issue in mounting a device multiple times in linux. If you look at meta-intel-iot-devkit/meta-iot-devkit/recipes-core/initscripts/initscripts-1.0/ you will see exactly the scripts and what they do to do this automount stuff. On your board /etc/mdev.conf controls what gets automounted.

Relevant mountpoints:

/dev/mmcblk0p2 on / type ext3
          /dev/mmcblk0p1 on /media/mmcblk0p1 type vfat (rw,relatime,sync,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
          /dev/mmcblk0p2 on /media/mmcblk0p2 type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=writeback)
          none on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime)

Mounting /boot is not required in linux, however to reduce confusion future images should do this, it's a bit more 'typical'.

• 2. Re: devkit image: what is /media/mmcblk0p for?
            ForumMigrationAdmin

Thanks, Brendan!

Changed the rule in mdev.conf such that mmcblk0 isn't mounted by mdev.

Didn't spot mdev before. Strange: why is there udev and mdev on the image?