3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2015 5:52 PM by CMata_Intel

Connecting to Internet via ethernet on Galileo gen2 with authenticated network access

aloverso

I'm using a Galileo Gen2 board, with the larger Linux image on SD card, and I'm trying to connect to the internet via ethernet cable into a wall.

The problem is, my university has protected internet access, so when you try to access the internet (via WiFi or Ethernet), it prompts for user credentials.  Therefore, the functions I'm trying to use in Python and Linux (specifically urllib2 in Python, but also wget does not work) don't work because I can't authenticate when they try to get info from the web.  For example, running a simple Python script using urllib2 returns this error:

urllib2.HTTPError: HTTP Error 401: Authorization Required

My next attempt was to install a command-line browser like Links to see if I could get through to the credentials prompt.  I downloaded the Links tarball, transferred it to the Galileo via pscp on an ethernet cable, and unpacked and installed it on the Linux shell.  When I try to connect to, say, www.google.com, it does attempt to redirect to the credentials page like I need, but doesn't manage to load the page and ends up with a "host not found" error: (Insper is the name of the university)

links-error.png

For reference, this is what it looks like when I plug the ethernet into my laptop and try to connect to the internet, and it successfully makes it to the redirect page:

r7MQS63.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I have an IP address (here is the results of ifconfig):

root@galileo:~# ifconfig
      enp0s20f6 Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 98:4F:EE:01:EA:4E
                inet addr:10.201.17.51  Bcast:10.201.255.255  Mask:255.255.0.0
                inet6 addr: fe80::9a4f:eeff:fe01:ea4e/64 Scope:Link
                UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
                RX packets:48180 errors:0 dropped:41 overruns:0 frame:0
                TX packets:272 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
                collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
                RX bytes:4573953 (4.3 MiB)  TX bytes:48255 (47.1 KiB)
                Interrupt:50

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
                inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
                inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
                UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
                RX packets:40 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
                TX packets:40 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
                collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
                RX bytes:3559 (3.4 KiB)  TX bytes:3559 (3.4 KiB)

I can ping www.gooogle.com, but not "ping servidor-06-wcg.insper.local" (it gives "bad address")

Has anyone run into a similar issue and has suggestions on what to do next?