6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2015 6:07 PM by jayburd

NUC kept running 24h

Lorenzo88

Hi guys

Does anybody know if it's recommendable to keep the NUC running 24h?

For example for some embedded applications like digital signage or similar.

It would be interesting if that could be possible for models more aimed at embedded purposes, like the Atom-based NUC or the new Maple Canyon family.

Thanks in advance

Lorenzo

• 1. Re: NUC kept running 24h
          malch

It's a good question. I understand a lot of people do run NUCs around the clock. Obviously one worries a little about a failure of the cooling fan but I don't think Intel have published their fan specs.

My input: if you run any fan cooled system 24/7, you absolutely need to crack open the case from time to time and thoroughly clean the fans and vents of accumulated dust and crud. At home, I clean all of my computers out twice per year. More frequently cleaning might be necessary in some environments like a woodworking shop!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: NUC kept running 24h
            Lorenzo88

Thank you for the input Malch,

• 3. Re: NUC kept running 24h
              jayburd

We run one of the 2014 NUCs in a server cabinet and the fan failure was a concern.  What we ended up doing is to replace the NUC chassis with a fanless case.  There are many options available if you search for NUC Case on Amazon.  With that concern addressed, we have been running NUC as a VM host and it has been up for about a year now with no troubles.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: NUC kept running 24h
                Nixiedesk

Just finished putting my 5i5RYH together and it's been on 24hrs+. Still can't hear the fan unless I pick it up and listen through the vents. Nothing is even warm. 2.5 Samsung EVO 850 is cool at 43c.    So far...really impressed with it.

• 5. Re: NUC kept running 24h
                  malch

Nixiedesk wrote:

Just finished putting my 5i5RYH together and it's been on 24hrs+. Still can't hear the fan unless I pick it up and listen through the vents. Nothing is even warm. 2.5 Samsung EVO 850 is cool at 43c.    So far...really impressed with it.

Mine is similarly cool and quiet. Even so, I do worry about a fan failure, and a fanless enclosure would be very nice.

On the other hand, NUC plus RAM plus a decent SSD isn't cheap. Add a fanless case and it starts to look decidedly costly.

That said, the Broadwell chips are impressively frugal with the power (and heat).

• 6. Re: NUC kept running 24h
                    jayburd

On the other other hand, having a tiny little box running 24/7 without having to worry about anything failing on you is a dream come true.  The power supply can still fail but there is not a single moving part in this setup once you swap the chassis with a fanless one.  Traditionally for 24/7 setup we look for server grade hardware and systems, and I have not seen any server in the market that has no moving parts.  It is truly unique and marvelous.  I feel good about paying what we paid to get this fanless server going.