7 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2015 11:15 AM by kevin_intel

No Bios display on 5i5RYH.

evrom

I have an old 1440x900 LCD monitor that takes DVI in. I can output display from my laptop to this monitor with a HDMI-to-DVI cable. I recently purchased a miniDisplayport-to-HDMI(female) adapter.

With the NUC powered on and mDP-HDMI connected, and with the DVI-HDMI cable plugged into the mDP-HDMI adapter and monitor, the monitor detects no input.

• I have two new sticks of Kingston KVR16LS11/4. I have no way of running memtest on the ram, but I doubt both sticks are dead.  I have tested this setup with both sticks at once, and each stick individually, and no sticks in the NUC. No ram causes the power light to blink.
      • I am unable to test the mDP-HDMI adapter, since I own no devices which use any form of displayport. I have the following adapter: Amazon.com: Cable Matters Gold Plated Mini DisplayPort (Thunderbolt™ Port Compatible) to HDMI Male to Female Adapter - 4…
      • Unplugging the mSATA cable (connected to an Intel 2.5" SSD) has no effect.
      • the monitor supports 1024x768  1366x768  1440x900  640x480   800x600 (according to xrandr ran on my laptop).
      • I have never used this NUC before, so it may be a defective NUC.
      • Only power and the mDP-HDMI adapter are plugged into the NUC in the tests
      • I have removed, moved, and moved back the BIOS Configuration Jumper with no effect

What do you recommend?

• 1. Re: No Bios display on 5i5RYH.
          P.ST

Hello evrom,

I would try a different cable: either a miniHDMI-to-DVI cable or a miniDisplayPort-to-DVI cable.

If that doesn't work, try a different monitor.

If that doesn't work, return the NUC.

P.ST

• 2. Re: No Bios display on 5i5RYH.
            kevin_intel

Based on your description, definitely the problem is the Adapters you are using. Please use straight connection from the motherboard to the monitor. Using adapters may interfere on the video signal causing this problem.

• 3. Re: No Bios display on 5i5RYH.
              evrom

i've ordered a mini-HDMI male to HDMI female adapter. If that doesn't work, I will replace my aging monitor with something that supports display port or hdmi, and purchase a single cable to connect directly to the monitor.

• 4. Re: No Bios display on 5i5RYH.
                Nixiedesk

evrom wrote:

i've ordered a mini-HDMI male to HDMI female adapter. If that doesn't work, I will replace my aging monitor with something that supports display port or hdmi, and purchase a single cable to connect directly to the monitor.

I was in the same boat...sort of. Have a old HP monitor with DVI so ordered a mini HDMI - DVI straight cable and it came from England which wasn't my choice. Still...been running mine for 36hrs straight without a hitch. Also will probably order a newer monitor but in the meantime, it's working out really well.  Good luck!

• 5. Re: No Bios display on 5i5RYH.
                  Mgear

What also can help is to get the powerplug out of your nuc, leave it out for like 20 seconds, plug it back in and then put the on button. It did help me out when i had also issues with my nuc and no display. You can also try your hometv with hdmi in just to check if there is a signal actually. When you do got signal just flash with f7 the new bios, reset to default with the internal jumper and then configure. Perhabs that can solve your issue. I could revive my nuc with this problem with this.

• 6. Re: No Bios display on 5i5RYH.
                    evrom

For some reason, a new monitor fixed the problem. I have no idea why it wouldn't work with my older monitor (which works fine with my laptop) on boot. I used the same wiring setup with the new monitor as I did the old one, but it works fine with the new monitor.

• 7. Re: No Bios display on 5i5RYH.
                      kevin_intel

It is good to hear it is working now.

Kevin M