9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2015 9:27 AM by hansb_intel

Intel NUC D54250WYKH persistent BSOD

mongoos

I have an Intel NUC D54250WYKH, which I have been trying to get running stably since May 2014. The symptom of the problem is persistent BSODs and freezes, which occur about 1 - 3 times per week. The configuration is:

Intel NUC D54250WYKH

8 GB RAM (2x Crucial CT51264BF160BJ)

Hitachi 1TB Travelstar 7K1000 SATA HDD

Plextor PX-128M5M 128GB M5M Series mSATA SSD

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

I have tried countless driver updates and hardware configurations (removing either stick of RAM, the SSD or the HDD) but none of these have solved the problem. There is no obvious pattern to the BSODs. Many different driver files are shown in the minidumps, but many of the BSODs point to ntoskrnl.

Looking for input from Intel as to whether there's anything else I can try, or whether I need to RMA the system.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Intel NUC D54250WYKH persistent BSOD
          sylvia_intel

Hello Mongoos, thanks for joining the Intel Community.

The ntoskrnl is related to the operating system, so I would suggest you creating a new image of the OS and try a reinstallation of Windows 7.

We could help you to RMA the NUC, however I do not think that is going to solve this behavior.

Please let me know if you need more help.

• 2. Re: Intel NUC D54250WYKH persistent BSOD
            mongoos

Thanks for your reply. I don't think that re-installing Windows is going to solve the issue, as I have been through multiple clean installs on this machine; each time the problem comes back quickly. As additional information, the minidumps for the past few months point to the following modules:

ntoskrnl.exe

fltmgr.sys

ntfs.sys

afd.sys

igdkmd64.sys

hidclass.sys

netio.sys

usbhub.sys

fvevol.sys

luafv.sys

e1d62x64.sys

A new problem has appeared today - the unit will no longer respond to f2 to enter BIOS setup. An f2 press at boot sends the NUC in to an immediate crash with screen corruption, as shown below:IMG_20150330_210229.jpg

I am fairly convinced this is a hardware problem. Can you help?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Intel NUC D54250WYKH persistent BSOD
              sylvia_intel

Mongoos,  if you already tried a BIOS update and you are still experiencing the same behavior please contact our Warranty team in order to get your product replace. The following link will show you the contact information  Contact Support or submit a web ticket at the following URL Service Request Email

Regards,

• 4. Re: Intel NUC D54250WYKH persistent BSOD
                mongoos

Thanks for the links. I did contact the warranty team, but now believe the problem may be a bad stick of RAM. MemTest86 had not shown any problems with either one. Testing with Prime95, however, one stick (used alone) will run the stress tests for >10 hours without errors or warnings, while the other reports errors within an hour.

The BIOS screen corruption resolved itself within a few power cycles.

I need to confirm that the system is fully stable with the "good" stick of RAM, but it's looking far more likely that it's RAM and not the NUC that's the problem. I have updated my warranty report ticket to reflect this.

Thanks again for the help.

• 5. Re: Intel NUC D54250WYKH persistent BSOD
                  sylvia_intel

Thanks for the information Mongoos. Please let me know the results once you are able to test the NUC with another stick of RAM

• 6. Re: Intel NUC D54250WYKH persistent BSOD
                    mongoos

I've now received a warranty replacement of the bad RAM from Micron. The system appears to be stable and running fine with 8GB installed in two slots. The BIOS screen corruption problem has not recurred - so I think the problem is solved. Thanks for your help.

• 7. Re: Intel NUC D54250WYKH persistent BSOD
                      sylvia_intel

Excellent Mongoos. Thanks for replying back to me letting me know the results.

• 8. Re: Intel NUC D54250WYKH persistent BSOD
                        terry_umb

We have been purchasing the Intel D34010WYK and D5425WYK NUC kits for a bit over a year now. We also use the Crucial 2x CT51264BF160BJ kits since building these for deployment to users at a University. The recent batch of D34010WYK's have been BSOD'ing for us as well. I've tested the RAM with memtest86 and if both chips are installed it will fail, if I test with each chip in each DIMM slot the tests pass. Seems like RAM test fails or Windows 7 Pro BSOD's only when both RAM modules are installed. After extensive testing with known stable systems and swapping RAM and SSD's into a malfunctioning NUC I discovered that if you go into the BIOS and slow the RAM multiplier down from 1600 to 1200  the RAM passes the memtest86 tests with both modules installed. I've also been using a problematic computer for a few hours now after adjusting the RAM speed, before stepping down the RAM it would have BSOD'd by now but it seems to be stable as of this writing. Any ideas?

• 9. Re: Intel NUC D54250WYKH persistent BSOD
                          hansb_intel

Hi, terry_umb,

I found that there are multiple versions of this module and the more recent ones may not work. Turns out, there are these versions, with longer part numbers:

•         CT51264BF160BJ.C8FER (this one has worked for me with each dimm populated)

•         CT51264BF160BJ.C8FND (this one is the newer one and usally fails when two sticks are used)