12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2015 11:14 AM by kevin_intel

Disable wireless on NUC

alan.t

How can I disable wireless (and save power, improve security) on a NUC ?

• 1. Re: Disable wireless on NUC
          jg317

In Windows go:

Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections

Then choose the network connection(s) you want to disable and Right-click > Disable

In Ubuntu: 

System > Preferences > Network Connections

Choose the connection you want and click Edit, and that should open a dialog box with the option to delete the connection.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Disable wireless on NUC
            malch

jg317 wrote:

In Ubuntu: 

System > Preferences > Network Connections

Choose the connection you want and click Edit, and that should open a dialog box with the option to delete the connection.

As a follow up, what would be the easiest way to also prevent the drivers and associated software from loading at boot time? Bluetooth too!

• 3. Re: Disable wireless on NUC
              jg317

malch wrote:

As a follow up, what would be the easiest way to also prevent the drivers and associated software from loading at boot time? Bluetooth too!

I don't use Ubuntu very often so I'm not entirely sure how you would do that. 

But a quick Google search yielded this result on the Ubuntu Forums; perhaps it will help you. 

And just curious, are you having problems with the wi-fi & bluetooth adapters? 

If not, and they are working fine I'd suggest leaving them installed and just disable them.

• 4. Re: Disable wireless on NUC
                malch

jg317 wrote:

And just curious, are you having problems with the wi-fi & bluetooth adapters?

If not, and they are working fine I'd suggest leaving them installed and just disable them.

No, but I am having another problem (spurious wakes) and I was thinking of taking WiFi and BT completely out of the loop since I don't need them anyway.

• 5. Re: Disable wireless on NUC
                  jg317

malch wrote:

No, but I am having another problem (spurious wakes) and I was thinking of taking WiFi and BT completely out of the loop since I don't need them anyway.

Ah, got it. 
                  That makes sense; I forgot you were having the spurious wake problem similar to me. 

• 6. Re: Disable wireless on NUC
                    Mgear

The intel-engineers are busy working to implement this feature in the bios! Because it is a really dificult feature to implement you got to give them time to do their work. After 3 months they are still busy doing research how to implement this in a new bios version. Intel finds over 3 months more then acceptabile so dont hold your hopes up!

• 7. Re: Disable wireless on NUC
                      malch

It really would make sense to have BIOS switches for BT and WiFi.

I can stop the drivers from loading (via /etc/modprobe.d/myblacklist.conf) but without a driver I see no way to turn off the radios to save power.

Or I can load the drivers and turn off the radios.

A simple BIOS switch would give the best of all worlds and be completely OS independent. Pretty please, Intel!

• 8. Re: Disable wireless on NUC
                        topg

As discussed here, the new BIOS to allow this is apparently being finalized:

Re: NUC5i3RYK - How to switch off Bluetooth & WiFi

Although I'd prefer the proper OS switches myself.

• 9. Re: Disable wireless on NUC
                          topg

With perfect timing, the just released BIOS version 0246 now allows disabling the radios in BIOS.

• 10. Re: Disable wireless on NUC
                            malch

The new BIOS does indeed have such an option. Thank you Intel.

However, it's not entirely clear what that option does. Hopefully it shuts down the radio and save a little power. But it does not appear to make the BT/WiFi hardware invisible. It seems that Linux systems will still "see" those devices during boot and load the corresponding modules/drivers.

So minimalists like me will still need to configure the software to omit the drivers in addition to disabling the devices in the BIOS. Personally, I'm fine with that but others may want to be aware of it.

• 11. Re: Disable wireless on NUC
                              topg

I can confirm that on Windows 8.1 64-bit (supported OS), the devices disappear from Device Manager and any related apps when disabled in BIOS.

• 12. Re: Disable wireless on NUC
                                kevin_intel

It is good to know it is working.