Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Need to Update OpenGL to 3.2 or Higher

BBoul1
Beginner

I have the Intel HD Graphics 3000 on my computer with Build 9.17.10.4101 version 15.28.23.64.4101. I'm am running a Dell Laptop computer with Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 Intel Core i3-235OM CPU@2.30 GHz 64 Bit Operating System. I purchase a Photoshop Plugin, Topaz Impression, and when trying to install it the plugin indicates it requires OpenGl 3.2 or higher and to update the graphics card driver to update the OpenGL to 3.2 or higher. I used the Intel Drive Updater 2.0 and was able to download the latest Intel HD Graphics 3000 driver but this did not update the OpenGL which remained at OpenGL 3.1. Any ideas how I can get my OpenGL to update to 3.2 or higher since there is no other new Intel HD Graphics 3000 driver to download.

Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

0 Kudos
6 Replies
KHans13
New Contributor I

You only really have three options here:

1. Switch to OS X. Impression still works in OS X and the HD Graphics 3000 support OpenGL 3.3 in OS X and Linux for some reason. This is the least practical of all the options since a great deal of technical know-how is required and it might not work at all since you obviously don't have a Mac.

2. Upgrade your processor. The 3rd generation (ix-3xxx) Core processors have HD Graphics 4000 with support for OpenGL 4.0 in Windows, so Impression will work like a charm. This involves partial dismantling of your notebook, which I've found on mine and other's laptops to be a fairly straightforward process once you know which processor to upgrade to and have watched a YouTube video explaining how to access the processor socket for your particular model of laptop. Almost any ix-3xxxM will do; a baseline i3-3110M costs $42 on eBay and will get you slightly better performance while keeping internal temperatures and battery life the same, while you can go all the way up to an i7-3540M for $150 and get much better performance (up to 3.7 GHz!) while still being compatible with your laptop.

3. Get a new laptop. (Only partially joking here)

0 Kudos
JForm2
Beginner

Thanks for the response. Yea I would like to get another laptop, correct, but we have to wait a while. I will try to get a cpu for the n580 I3 3rd gen.

0 Kudos
TDars
Beginner

Jack - I know this is a little old but were you able to upgrade your CPU? I am running into a similar issue with a Dell Vostro laptop.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

What is exactly the Dell Vostro model number?

Allan.

0 Kudos
TDars
Beginner
0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Please bear in mind that Intel does not have Windows® 10 graphics drivers for Intel® HD Graphics 3000, driver are only available through Windows Updates from Microsoft.

See list of supported operating system here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005526.html Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Graphics Products

0 Kudos