8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2015 11:20 AM by Iron_Attorney

Arduino IDE Problem

Iron_Attorney

Hi there, I've just downloaded all nessacary drivers, flashed my edison with the latest firmware, and downloaded the latest intel-arduino IDE. Tried to create some super simple code to test that it's working, and... well... it's not.

I get the following series of errors:

Arduino: 1.6.0 (Windows 8), Board: "Intel® Edison"

Build options changed, rebuilding all

i586-poky-linux-g++: error: Files: No such file or directory

i586-poky-linux-g++: error: (x86)\Computer: No such file or directory

i586-poky-linux-g++: error: Programing\Intel: No such file or directory

i586-poky-linux-g++: error: Edison\Arduino: No such file or directory

i586-poky-linux-g++: error: IDE: No such file or directory

i586-poky-linux-g++: error: 1.6: No such file or directory

i586-poky-linux-g++: error: Intel.1.0.4/hardware/tools/edison/sysroots/core2-32-poky-linux: No such file or directory

Error compiling.

Any ideas what I've missed?

• 1. Re: Arduino IDE Problem
          Intel_Alvarado

Hi,

Have you already followed IoT - Getting Started with the Intel® Edison board on Windows* | Intel® Developer Zone ? Make sure you have already completed all the previous requirements and are using the correct cables to connect to your board. Also make sure you choose the correct board and COM port in the IDE and the SW1 is in the correct position.

Regards

Sergio

• 2. Re: Arduino IDE Problem
            Iron_Attorney

Yep, followed the getting started guide. Got the correct cables, and chosen the correct board and COM port. Is the SW1 the switch on the arduino board? I'm using the sparkfun blocks and I don't think the base block has that switch (though I'm open to being corrected). As far as I can tell, the problem is on the PC or in the IDE, not a problem with the board or the firmware on the intel chip. Maybe I messed up one of the steps while getting the drivers? It's the only idea I've got at the moment. Might have to go back over the getting started page, unless anyone else has seen these error messages before and knows what they're all about

• 3. Re: Arduino IDE Problem
              Intel_Alvarado

Hi,

Yes, the switch SW1 is on the Arduino expansion board. The switch is located between the USB port and the micro USB port. If you are going to use the Arduino side you need to connect the micro USB cable to the port closest to the switch, and the switch needs to be closest to the micro USB, not the USB. Also, where is your Arduino folder? It is recommended that the Arduino folder (called arduino-1.5.3 I believe) is extracted directly in the root of the C drive. Where did you extract your IDE folder?

Sergio

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Arduino IDE Problem
                PalmerCliff

Have you connected both USB ports?  This sounds like a problem I had when compiling Arduino Sketches that was resolved by connecting both of the USB ports.

I remember seeing a note on some "get started" doc that mentioned that "No such file or directory" errors meant the flashing of the image was not successful.  Try downloading and flashing a fresh copy of the image.

HTH!

Cliff

• 5. Re: Arduino IDE Problem
                  Iron_Attorney

As stated above, I'm using the sparkfun blocks, not the arduino expansion board.

As for the folder, it is buried within several sub folders. I'll try moving it tomorrow and let you know if that helps. I do actually have problems with some of my sub folders and permissions. Despite being admin and the only account on my computer, I can't get the damn thing to understand that I don't need permission to access my folders. Even after changing all the permission settings it still checks that I have permission when I'm doing things in certain folders. Pain in the arse!

• 6. Re: Arduino IDE Problem
                    Iron_Attorney

To cliff:

I have got both USB ports connected. I think I also flashed it right (though can't be sure till it get it working). I have a hunch that this is a problem on the PC side rather than the edison, because even when I try to verify a sketch I get the same errors, no matter what is in the sketch.

Cheers for both of your help thus far, I will try moving the folder tomorrow and if that doesn't work I'll check back over the getting started notes to make sure I didn't miss anything, and if I'll report back with the results.

Pete

• 7. Re: Arduino IDE Problem
                      Iron_Attorney

Ok, here's where I'm at with this now.

I've moved the intel-arduino IDE folder to C drive. That didn't seem to have any impact and I got the same errors. I unchecked read only on the main folder (which suposedly changed all files and sub folders within this folder). This has removed some of the errors. Now I am left with these errors when I try to verify:

i586-poky-linux-g++: error: IDE: No such file or directory

i586-poky-linux-g++: error: 1.6: No such file or directory

i586-poky-linux-g++: error: Intel.1.0.4/hardware/tools/edison/sysroots/core2-32-poky-linux: No such file or directory

Error compiling.

I then looked back throught the folders, and all the folders still say "read only" in the preferences. None of the files do, only the folders. I have tried various thing to change this, but nothing works. Every time I change a folders settings, I apply the changes, it spends a few minutes changing the settings on all the contained files and folders, I click ok. Then open the preferences for that folder again and it's back to read only. I have tried to change the settings for the entire root folder, and I have tried to change the settings for every sub folder within each folder. Nothing seems to change them perminently. I don't know if this is the cause of the problem, but it certainly is annoying!

So, I have also gone back and re-installed the drivers, but I am still getting the same error message. One thought though, should the "Intel Edison Device USB driver" folder be anywhere in particular? I started out with it in the same folder as the root folder for the IDE, and I now have it straight in the "program files (x86)" folder. I have ofcourse moved the root IDE folder to C drive, would the driver folder need to move with it, or be anywhere in particular?

Pete

• 8. Re: Arduino IDE Problem
                        Iron_Attorney

Ha! Ok, looks like I've solved it. I don't know what specifically I'd missed, but I originally downloaded and installed each edison program and driver individually. I've just deleted it all, and downloaded the full developers kit and let it do the full install properly, and I am no longer getting the verification errors.

So originally I followed getting started guides on the internet. Seems the best thing to do is let intels download set everything up.

Cheers for your help guys!

Pete