4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2015 8:54 AM by ForumMigrationAdmin

Error creating Live USB

ForumMigrationAdmin

Hi, I have created a Live USB using dd and after a while the USB died. I tried using a different pen drive and while booting it always displays MBR 1FA. I tried reformatting but still not able to succeed. Tried googling but no success. Is the problem with USB or am I doing something wrong? Regards, Raghu Kona

• 1. Re: Error creating Live USB
          ForumMigrationAdmin

NAGA VENKATA RAGHU KIRAN K. (Intel) wrote:

I have created a Live USB using dd and after a while the USB died. I tried using a different pen drive and while booting it always displays MBR 1FA. I tried reformatting but still not able to succeed. Tried googling but no success. Is the problem with USB or am I doing something wrong?

Can you post the exact dd command you are using? Few common issues:

1. no conv=fsync dd option and no `sync` done before unplugging USB stick for writing
          2. wrote to partition instead of directly to device node (/dev/sdX1 vs correct /dev/sdX)
          3. Image was not uncompressed (it's bz2 compressed so you need to `bunzip2` before writing
          4. USB stick is too small
          5. Image not fully downloaded
          • 2. Re: Error creating Live USB
            ForumMigrationAdmin

I am using this command sudo dd if=devkit-live-img-final.binblob of=/dev/sdX bs=8M conv=fsync Now I am getting a different error dd: fsync failed for ‘/dev/sdb1’: Input/output error 955+0 records in 955+0 records out 8011120640 bytes (8.0 GB) copied, 692.881 s, 11.6 MB/s

• 3. Re: Error creating Live USB
              ForumMigrationAdmin

- check the filesize of the image (ls -la devkit-live-img-final.binblob) and compare with the size of your flashdrive (sudo fdisk -l /dev/sd) > is you your flashdrive sufficiently large at all? - I would need to check - but the bunzipped bz2 image I downloaded was about 4GB as far as I remember. I am a bit puzzled your image is that large - it looks like you dd'ed to /dev/sdb1 rather than to /dev/sdb (" ‘/dev/sdb1’: Input/output error") which would be wrong

• 4. Re: Error creating Live USB
                ForumMigrationAdmin

matthias-hahn (Intel)  Sun, 03/16/2014 - 23:43 BEST REPLY that means your flashdrive is automounted. Pls unmount first (sudo umount /dev/sdb1) and then dd over to /dev/sdb rather than /dev/sdb1. In order to use all your 16 GB you will have to resize the partition after dd'ing which is described in another IoT threa (e.g. using gparted)