3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2015 3:17 PM by ForumMigrationAdmin

[yocto linux]: [ERROR] S is not set to the linux source directory

ForumMigrationAdmin

When building yoctolinux for galileo i encounter below build error. How to fix this?

========================================================================

ERROR: Function failed: do_kernel_checkout (log file is located at /home/swathi/internet_of_things/iotdk_src_140220/meta-intel-iot-devkit/build/tmp/work/clanton-poky-linux/linux-yocto-clanton/3.8-r0/temp/log.do_kernel_checkout.23829)
      ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: /home/swathi/internet_of_things/iotdk_src_140220/meta-intel-iot-devkit/build/tmp/work/clanton-poky-linux/linux-yocto-clanton/3.8-r0/temp/log.do_kernel_checkout.23829
      Log data follows:
      | DEBUG: Executing shell function do_kernel_checkout
      | [ERROR]: S is not set to the linux source directory. Check
      |          the recipe and set S to the proper extracted subdirectory
      | WARNING: exit code 1 from a shell command.
      | ERROR: Function failed: do_kernel_checkout (log file is located at /home/swathi/internet_of_things/iotdk_src_140220/meta-intel-iot-devkit/build/tmp/work/clanton-poky-linux/linux-yocto-clanton/3.8-r0/temp/log.do_kernel_checkout.23829)
      ERROR: Task 343 (/home/swathi/internet_of_things/iotdk_src_140220/meta-intel-iot-devkit/meta-clanton-bsp/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto-clanton_3.8.bb, do_kernel_checkout) failed with exit code '1'

========================================================================

Thanks,

Ravindranath

• 1. Re: [yocto linux]: [ERROR] S is not set to the linux source directory
          ForumMigrationAdmin

Can you paste the log.do_kernel_checkout.23829 on a pastebin website or similar?

Also please tell us what distribution you are using and what arch you are running on (you must be on 64bit for sstate to work)

• 2. Re: [yocto linux]: [ERROR] S is not set to the linux source directory
            ForumMigrationAdmin

Hi Brendan,

Thanks for your response. Please find the log file details below:

=========================================================

DEBUG: Executing shell function do_kernel_checkout
            [ERROR]: S is not set to the linux source directory. Check
                     the recipe and set S to the proper extracted subdirectory
            WARNING: exit code 1 from a shell command.
            ERROR: Function failed: do_kernel_checkout (log file is located at /home/swathi/internet_of_things/iotdk_src_140220/meta-intel-iot-devkit/build/tmp/work/clanton-poky-linux/linux-yocto-clanton/3.8-r0/temp/log.do_kernel_checkout.1445)

=========================================================

My machine details:

I am working on a 32-bit Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

steps I followed till now:

Basically I have problems with my network in accessing the link "git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git;branch=linux-3.8.y" which is referred in "meta-clanton-bsp/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto-clanton_3.8.bb". I am getting a time-out error when trying to access the link and the build is failing. So, I have modified the link to "http://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git;b...". Also added the below details for the build to progress:

SRC_URI[md5sum] = "06cd35eea3eb91c3a8e287721dd15294"
            SRC_URI[sha256sum] = "433ce6b669b99842311e4f196feee4d227654b5e1f7b0aac06606918fdb864df"

From what I suspect, the linux sources are not populated in the "iotdk_src_140220/meta-intel-iot-devkit/build/tmp/work/clanton-poky-linux/linux-yocto-clanton/3.8-r0/linux" path. So, the script is not able to checkout the sources and hence the error.

I have tried downloading the linux source code tarball "linux-yocto-clanton-3.8-r0-.tar.gz" and placing the kernel code in the respective directory. But I am facing some issues with respect to "validate_branch" function. Help me out in:

1. Building the source with tarball and

2.Is there any way I can successfully populate the sources without resorting to tarball? Because, going forward, I will be adding further components to the linux kernel and would require the git sturcture to contribute back.

• 3. Re: [yocto linux]: [ERROR] S is not set to the linux source directory
              ForumMigrationAdmin

was this resolved, running into the same issue