3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2015 11:55 AM by ForumMigrationAdmin

Building a serial cable in less time it takes to write this post

ForumMigrationAdmin

Working with Galileo you might look for a serial cable fitting in the "audio JACK" plug which is required e.g. if you want to upgrade the firmware. Below I put a brief photo story showing the steps to quickly build one.

1. get hold of a stereo headphone cable / plug. You should have 3 wires inside. Varnish insulation can easily removed by just burning it. You can easily spot the 3 areas on the stereo plug In the picture below you. In the following we will enumerate those sections 1 (front), 2 (middle), and 3 (big GND section)

serial1

2. Get hold of 3 cables with jacks (and leave the GND cable longer than I did ;-))

serial2

3. the contacts will be covered by heat shrink later on

serial3

4. I like crimping - you could of course solder likewise

serial4

5. crimped cables - don't forget to put the heat shrink before you connect

serial5

6. place the heat shrinks

serial6

7. and heat it preferably with a hot air fan - but lighter works as well (just make sure you don't burn insulation)

serial7

8. a big heat shrink goes over all 3 connects

serial8

9. as a more comfortable alternative: if you do have a serial cable you can likewise connect directly

serial9

10. Directly plug into a USB -> serial adapter:

connect as follows

stereo jack -> serial

1 -> 2

2-> 3

3 (GND) -> 5

serial10

That's it. And it took way longer to write this post than to build the cable

Enjoy