1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2015 10:09 AM by ForumMigrationAdmin

iotdk-ide for Linux not working in Ubuntu 14

ForumMigrationAdmin

I have installed the iotdk-ide in Windows 8.1, MAC and Ubuntu 14. The Windows and the Mac versions work fine

However, the Ubunto installation complains that it cannot check the version of GDB because of a bad Python installation.

I can use Python in my Ubuntu installation but the iotdk is looking for a file which does not exist in the iotdk installation.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks,

• 1. Re: iotdk-ide for Linux not working in Ubuntu 14
          ForumMigrationAdmin

hmmm, interesting - can you send some more information (exact output; when do you see this error)

• 2. Re: iotdk-ide for Linux not working in Ubuntu 14
            ForumMigrationAdmin

Mathias:

Thanks for the comment.

I will send more detailed info tomorrow, but the problem appears as soon as I try to DEBUG. Samples compile OK, and connection to my Galileo Gen 1 is good. But Eclipse complains that it cannot execute the --version of GDB because of a missing file.

I'll send the complete trace tomorrow.

• 3. Re: iotdk-ide for Linux not working in Ubuntu 14
              ForumMigrationAdmin

Mathias:

Below is the detailed message from Eclipse when trying to debug any of the application examples that come with the iotdk-ide-linux.

I do have Python 2.7 installed in my Ubuntu 14 64 bit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Could not determine GDB version using command: i586-poky-linux-gdb --version
              Traceback (most recent call last):
                File "/home/jsac/iotdk-ide-linux/devkit-x86/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/lib/python2.7/site.py", line 569, in <module>
                  main()
                File "/home/jsac/iotdk-ide-linux/devkit-x86/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/lib/python2.7/site.py", line 551, in main
                  known_paths = addusersitepackages(known_paths)
                File "/home/jsac/iotdk-ide-linux/devkit-x86/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/lib/python2.7/site.py", line 278, in addusersitepackages
                  user_site = getusersitepackages()
                File "/home/jsac/iotdk-ide-linux/devkit-x86/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/lib/python2.7/site.py", line 253, in getusersitepackages
                  user_base = getuserbase() # this will also set USER_BASE
                File "/home/jsac/iotdk-ide-linux/devkit-x86/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/lib/python2.7/site.py", line 243, in getuserbase
                  USER_BASE = get_config_var('userbase')
                File "/home/jsac/iotdk-ide-linux/devkit-x86/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/lib/python2.7/sysconfig.py", line 524, in get_config_var
                  return get_config_vars().get(name)
                File "/home/jsac/iotdk-ide-linux/devkit-x86/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/lib/python2.7/sysconfig.py", line 423, in get_config_vars
                  _init_posix(_CONFIG_VARS)
                File "/home/jsac/iotdk-ide-linux/devkit-x86/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/lib/python2.7/sysconfig.py", line 302, in _init_posix
                  raise IOError(msg)
              IOError: invalid Python installation: unable to open /home/jsac/iotdk-ide-linux/devkit-x86/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/include/python2.7/pyconfig.h (No such file or directory)

• 4. Re: iotdk-ide for Linux not working in Ubuntu 14
                ForumMigrationAdmin

More bad news.

iotdk-ide-linux also cannot debug when installed in a Debian distribution or in a MAC OSX machine. They all have problems starting the gdb. I can only get it to work in Windows 8.1.

I really would like to use the Linux version

Is anyone else having these issues?

Need help

• 5. Re: iotdk-ide for Linux not working in Ubuntu 14
                  ForumMigrationAdmin

Can you check if you have the gdb file selected in the IDE.

Select a project right-click and select Debug Configurations..

go to the Debugger tab. Under Main tab check the debugger file name. I should look something like below,

GDB Debugger: i586-poky-linux-gdb

If it is not present, click browse and go to iotdk-ide-XXX -> iot-devkit -> devkit-debugger and select the file named i586-poky-linux-gdb.

Click apply and start debugging. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ragu Kona

• 6. Re: iotdk-ide for Linux not working in Ubuntu 14
                    ForumMigrationAdmin

The debugger name is present in both the linux and the mac installations.

However, in the linux installation, the file i586-poky-linux-gdb is not present in iotdk-ide-linux/iot-devkit/devkit-debugger folder.

I will try re-installing the linux version and see what happens.

In the mac installation, the file i586-poky-linux-gdb is present in the folder you indicated, but the error says that it cannot start gdbserver on the remote host. I can start gdbserver in the Galileo by logging into it and executing it from the command line.

Thank you for your help

• 7. Re: iotdk-ide for Linux not working in Ubuntu 14
                      ForumMigrationAdmin

pls find attached the missing files for Linux:

MISSING ATTACHMENT IN POST

• 8. Re: iotdk-ide for Linux not working in Ubuntu 14
                        ForumMigrationAdmin

Mathias:

Thank you for the missing files, the iotdk now works OK in Ubuntu 14.

In the Debian installation, another error appears:

jsac@GalileoSDK:~/iotdk-ide-linux$ ./devkit-launcher
                        /home/jsac/iotdk-ide-linux
                        Relocating SDK
                        Setting variables
                        /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games:/home/jsac/iotdk-ide-linux/devkit-x86/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/bin/i586-poky-linux/
                        jsac@GalileoSDK:~/iotdk-ide-linux$ /home/jsac/iotdk-ide-linux/eclipse-linux/eclipse: 5: /home/jsac/iotdk-ide-linux/eclipse-linux/eclipse: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

The mac iotdk also has errors, but we can handle those in another thread.

Two questions come to mind:

1) Why did my installation have missing files?

2) Is there a repository where updated versions of the iotdk can be found?

Thanks again for your help.

• 9. Re: iotdk-ide for Linux not working in Ubuntu 14
                          ForumMigrationAdmin

I had the same issues under Ubuntu Jose and I gave my solutions here:

https://communities.intel.com/message/254694#254694

Looks like Matthias squared you away already for Ubuntu though.  I have a Debian machine here in my lab but I haven't installed the IOTDK on it as I got it working on one my main workstation under Ubuntu.  I'll try it tomorrow and see if I get the same issue.

As far as I know there isn't really a central repository for the the IOTDK and there haven't been any official updates since it's official release.  It has only been out for a short time.  There was an SDK of some kind released early on but I have never used it.  Just read some references to it.  I imagine when there is more than one version of the IOTDK, the quys will setup a central location to host them.

The missing files are just a result of the "newness" of the kit. I believe intel is still calling it 'beta' BTW.  You're one of the test subjects!  Welcome to the maze my brother!

I was really frustrated with it at first but hang in there, Matthias and the other folks here are really helpful and I'm sure he'll point ya to a solution for the script as well.  If I figure it out before he gets around to it I'll post up.

Good Luck,

Dallas

EDIT: Hey Jose I found this link right after I originally posted.  Matthias mentioned it in another post regarding libmraa issues:

http://iotdk.intel.com/

Looks like there is a 1.0 and a 1.1 version of the IOTDK Kernel at least, but I only see 1.1 of the SDK.

• 10. Re: iotdk-ide for Linux not working in Ubuntu 14
                            ForumMigrationAdmin

Thank you for the encouraging words, Dallas P!

I had the same problem with creating a new project, but arrived at the same solution you did.

I'll keep posting because the MAC installation still does not work like it should.

• 11. Re: iotdk-ide for Linux not working in Ubuntu 14
                              ForumMigrationAdmin

Quote:

Jose S. wrote:

Thank you for the missing files, the iotdk now works OK in Ubuntu 14.

Great it works now

Quote:

Jose S. wrote:

In the Debian installation, another error appears:

jsac@GalileoSDK:~/iotdk-ide-linux$ ./devkit-launcher
                              /home/jsac/iotdk-ide-linux
                              Relocating SDK
                              Setting variables
                              /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games:/home/jsac/iotdk-ide-linux/devkit-x86/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/bin/i586-poky-linux/
                              jsac@GalileoSDK:~/iotdk-ide-linux$ /home/jsac/iotdk-ide-linux/eclipse-linux/eclipse: 5: /home/jsac/iotdk-ide-linux/eclipse-linux/eclipse: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

I am not sure but I guess it's irrespective of the OS an issue with a path.If you check the "devkit-launcher" script you can see that ${DEVKIT_HOME} is passed to Eclipse as a parameter. I'd recommend echoing ${DEVKIT_HOME}  -  probably you do have a path name Eclipse (or the shell) can't deal with

Quote:

Jose S. wrote:

The mac iotdk also has errors, but we can handle those in another thread.

Pls do

Quote:

Jose S. wrote:

Two questions come to mind:

1) Why did my installation have missing files?

2) Is there a repository where updated versions of the iotdk can be found?

Thanks again for your help.

@1: well, things happen ... ;-) but it was a general issue and not only on your side. Thanks for finding it

@2: for libmraa / upm as described elsewhere on this forum

• 12. Re: iotdk-ide for Linux not working in Ubuntu 14
                                ForumMigrationAdmin

Mathias:

I checked your statement:

I am not sure but I guess it's irrespective of the OS an issue with a path.If you check the "devkit-launcher" script you can see that ${DEVKIT_HOME} is passed to Eclipse as a parameter. I'd recommend echoing ${DEVKIT_HOME}  -  probably you do have a path name Eclipse (or the shell) can't deal with.

But the value of ${DEVKIT_HOME} is /home/jsac/iotdk-ide-Linux which should be OK with eclipse and the shell. Also, I commented out the -data ${DEVKIT_HOME}/iot-devkit/workspace argument and it still gives me the same error.

My Ubuntu installation is 64 bit in a virtual box, while my Debian installation is 32 bit. Could that make a difference?

Thanks for you help.

• 13. Re: iotdk-ide for Linux not working in Ubuntu 14
                                  ForumMigrationAdmin

Hello,

I am using the iotdk-ide-linux tool for Intel Galileo Gen2.

Everytime I try to launch the "devkit-launcher" I do not see anything. And on terminal it gets stuck at the below:

ethercat@ethercat-HCL-Desktop:~/Downloads/iotdk-ide-linux$ /home/ethercat/Downloads/iotdk-ide-linux/eclipse-linux/eclipse: 5: /home/ethercat/Downloads/iotdk-ide-linux/eclipse-linux/eclipse: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

I am using Ubuntu 12.04 with CPU Architecture as below:

Architecture:          i686
                                  CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit

I suppose the Application requires an x86_64 architecture to get launched.

Can anyone suggest why I am not getting the Eclipse IDE launched and what needs to be done to make it work?

• 14. Re: iotdk-ide for Linux not working in Ubuntu 14
                                    ForumMigrationAdmin

Quote:

Jose S. wrote:

My Ubuntu installation is 64 bit in a virtual box, while my Debian installation is 32 bit. Could that make a difference?

That definitely could make a big difference! Currently only x64 is supported on Linux. However, you might try what I suggested for Win32

on https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/531095#comment-1803649 - just use the "Linux 32" Arduino IDE rather than the "Windows 32" one I mentioned in my post.

Haven't tested it so no guarantee it works but might work.

1 2 Previous Next