8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2015 10:38 AM by Intel_Peter

How to install a supported WiFi card?

RaduM

Hi,

Before i begin, i want to say that i'm sort of a noob when it comes to all this linux stuff. I got the Galileo Gen. 1 board from my university in order to make a project. At the moment, i'm trying to learn how to linux, even though in my past I've played a bit with ubuntu.

I have a intel 4965AGN WiFi card from an old laptop. I've read that it is compatible with the Galileo board, but i can't seem to make it work. I downloaded the .tgz file from this site : https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/iwlegacy and extracted it, and copied the the " iwlwifi-4965-2.ucode " file into /lib/firmware as i understood that i have to do from this tutorial: Intel Galileo Meets Wireless - Malinov Family Web Presence

root@clanton:~# ls /lib/firmware

LICENCE.iwlwifi_firmware  iwlwifi-4965-2.ucode     iwlwifi-6000g2b-6.ucode

iwlwifi-135-6.ucode       iwlwifi-6000g2a-6.ucode

I did the next five steps from the tutorial, but i does not seem to connect.

When i try to execute step 4 -> Restarting the network, i get this:

root@clanton:/etc# /etc/init.d/networking restart

Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may not enable again some interfaces

Reconfiguring network interfaces...

ifdown: interface wlan0 not configured

ifdown: interface eth0 not configured

Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant

Could not read interface wlan0 flags: No such device

WEXT: Could not set interface 'wlan0' UP

wlan0: Failed to initialize driver interface

ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device

udhcpc (v1.20.2) started

Sending discover...

Sending select for 192.168.1.126...

Lease of 192.168.1.126 obtained, lease time 86400

/etc/udhcpc.d/50default: Adding DNS 193.231.252.1

/etc/udhcpc.d/50default: Adding DNS 213.154.124.1

/etc/udhcpc.d/50default: Adding DNS 192.168.1.1

But if i try to disconnect the WiFi ( i think this is what you do with ifdown), i get this:

root@clanton:/etc# ifdown wlan0

Why is this happening?

Also, if i run the command: # lspci -k | grep -A 3 -i "network" from: WiFi access on Intel® Galileo with Yocto* Linux i get nothing. It just goes to another line without giving me any response.

Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks

PS: for the project, i'm trying to make a WiFi adapter using the card that i'm trying to configure, and share the WiFi connection via the Ethernet port. Hope i can do it

Also, i'm running this linux image: Updated Galileo "devtools" image is out

• 1. Re: How to install a supported WiFi card?
          Intel_Peter

Hello RaduM,

Maybe something might be wrong with your Wi-Fi card's firmware, why don't you try the following:

wget https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/_media/en/users/drivers/iwlwifi-4965-ucode-228.61.2.24.tgz

tar xvf iwlwifi-4965-ucode-228.61.2.24.tgz

cp iwlwifi-4965-2.ucode > /lib/firmware

And then follow the guide you posted before: Intel Galileo Meets Wireless - Malinov Family Web Presence

The Galileo will show the "ifdown: interface wlan0 not configured" message if you haven't enabled it first.

Also this thread might be of your interest: How to access internet through WIFI? Where to find some instructions?

Peter.

• 2. Re: How to install a supported WiFi card?
            RaduM

Hi,

Thanks for the quick answer. I tried the firmware that you suggested, but when i try to do step 4 of the guide (Restarting the network) i get:

root@clanton:/etc# /etc/init.d/networking restart

Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may not enable again some interfaces

Reconfiguring network interfaces...

ifdown: interface eth0 not configured

Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant

Could not read interface wlan0 flags: No such device

WEXT: Could not set interface 'wlan0' UP

wlan0: Failed to initialize driver interface

ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device

udhcpc (v1.20.2) started

Sending discover...

Sending select for 192.168.1.104...

Lease of 192.168.1.104 obtained, lease time 86400

/etc/udhcpc.d/50default: Adding DNS 193.231.252.1

/etc/udhcpc.d/50default: Adding DNS 213.154.124.1

/etc/udhcpc.d/50default: Adding DNS 192.168.1.1

So it clearly has a problem seeing the wlan card. Last i checked, the WiFi card was working on the old laptop.

Also, from the tutorial link that you posted, i tried running the lspci command, and as I said in the original post, it does not do anything... :

root@clanton:/# lspci -k | grep -A 4 -i network

root@clanton:/#

It does this even after a restart.

btw, here is a ls from the /lib/firmware folder:

root@clanton:/lib/firmware# ls

1. LICENCE.iwlwifi_firmware  iwlwifi-4965-2.ucode     iwlwifi-6000g2b-6.ucode

iwlwifi-135-6.ucode       iwlwifi-6000g2a-6.ucode

So...what do you think ?

• 3. Re: How to install a supported WiFi card?
              Intel_Peter

What does your Galileo output if you type:

dmesg | grep iwlwifi

Peter.

• 4. Re: How to install a supported WiFi card?
                RaduM

Nothing. It's the same as typing lspci

• 5. Re: How to install a supported WiFi card?
                  RaduM

Well, i got a quick update:

I installed the IoT Developement Kit image on my SD card, and i noticed that if i run lspci, it reads my wifi card, but the problem is that i don't have the driver for it, and wget does not work since the website is https (tried putting http, but still does not work). It tells me that:" wget: not an http or ftp url: https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/_media/en/users/drivers/iwlwifi-4965-ucode-228.61.2.24.tgz".

So, then, i suppose the problem was from the image. But with the current one i can't download anything, and with the image i had installed, i cannot see my wifi card.

Any ideas on how to get out of this pickle?

I'm curious, if i magically find a way of copying the firmware on the wifi card on the IoTdk image that i have now, will i be able to do something like this: http://null-byte.wonderhowto.com/how-to/share-your-laptops-wireless-internet-with-ethernet-devices-0130528/ ?

Thanks for the help

• 6. Re: How to install a supported WiFi card?
                    Intel_Peter

How are you trying to download the file? Are you using an Ethernet connection? If you are trying to do it through Wi-Fi you should set the internet connection using conman before trying to connect. To learn how set the internet connection with connman I'd suggest you to check this link WiFi access on Intel® Galileo with Yocto* Linux.

If you still need to install the driver there's an easy way to get it, download it on you PC, then plug in your SD card, put in your driver, unplug it and insert it on your Galileo and then boot it up. You'll find the driver under the /media/card directory.

Peter.

• 7. Re: How to install a supported WiFi card?
                      RaduM

I did that a couple of days ago, but now the thing is that after i start the board, i can see it boots up from the sd card (the sd LED blinks like a mad man), but if i connect it to the ethernet port on my router, it does not take an ip adress, and i can't connect to it via Putty (that's how i did it until now). I tried to make myself a jack - serial cable, but it does not do anything. I made it like the specifications from intel say - Intel® Galileo Boards and Kits — Building a Serial Cable  - i just connected the pins 2,3 and 5 to the jack, the rest are not connected. Should i connect the others as well? If so, how? (because i don't know what the other pins mean...)

Also, if i want to connect via the serial cable, is it necessary to be connected to the usb? (i tried connecting the board directly through the serial port on a W7 machine and on a Win xp one from school ).

Is there any reason it could not get an ip adress via ethernet? Does the ethernet stop after i correctly install the wifi firmware ?

Radu.

• 8. Re: How to install a supported WiFi card?
                        Intel_Peter

Hello RaduM,

Sorry for the delay in my response. Regarding your question about the serial cable: Yes, you only need to connect those three cables (Rx, Tx and GND). Are you not able to enter the Galileo's Linux console? If you do, after plugging in the Ethernet cable, type ifconfig and let e know the output of it.

And, no, you don't have to connect the Galileo with a USB cable if it is connected to the serial console.

Peter.