6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2015 11:42 AM by solha

NUC5i3RYK problem: fan still active on S3 suspend

solha

Hi,

I recently purchased one of these NUC NUC5i3RYK kits with INTEL's 5th gen processors, fitted 8GB RAM DDR3L 1600 MHz (2x Kingston KVR16LS11/4) and a 128 GB M.2 SSD (Transcend TS128GMTS400), updated BIOS to the latest one available (0137) and installed Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit with all Microsoft updates and Intel updates, including chipset, network, graphics card, wireless LAN and bluetooth drivers.

I have a problem when I make Windows request the system to enter sleep mode (I believe OS requests a suspend to S3), although the screen will blank itself after, causing the monitor to lose sync, the CPU/system fan stays on all the time. Also the power button doesn't assume the state as per BIOS configuration on S3, in this case, blink in alternate color 0.25 Hz, instead it shows the steady blue light like it was @S0 (powered on). When I hit the keyboard or move the mouse, the system comes back as it should. Nevertheless, while in sleep/standby/S3 the fan stays on all the time.

Is someone experiencing this? Is it a know issue that hopefully be fixed in a new BIOS release?

Please advise and thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: NUC5i3RYK problem: fan still active on S3 suspend
          topg

Have you enabled Intel Ready Mode in BIOS and installed the Ready Mode driver? Because if you do, it will go into an alternate low-power state like this rather than S3/Sleep (but with a blinking blue light IIRC). If you haven't, try installing the driver then disabling it via the Ready Mode control app. That's all I can think of off the top of my head  - I have the NUC5i3RYK too, and it sleeps with orange blinking light now just fine with Ready Mode enabled in BIOS but disabled in software.

• 2. Re: NUC5i3RYK problem: fan still active on S3 suspend
            solha

Thanks for your suggestion topg, in fact even with your suggestion I cannot use the system the way I would like. Let me explain a bit more my setup: my NUC serves as a media center and I have installed Kodi with a Pulse Eight USB CEC adapter in order to use the TV's remote to control Kodi. The problem here is using Intel Ready Mode, even if disabled, this CEC adapter (which is emulated by a USB mouse driver in the OS) doesn't wake the PC, although a hit of a key in the keyboard or a click on the mouse does wake. I have another NUC Kit D54250WYK and everything works like a charm using Sleep to S3. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

• 3. Re: NUC5i3RYK problem: fan still active on S3 suspend
              topg

Not sure I can help you with your CEC device, but just to clarify: does it now suspend to RAM properly (S3 with orange blinking light, fans off)?

• 4. Re: NUC5i3RYK problem: fan still active on S3 suspend
                solha

Hi topg, yes it does suspend with orange 0.25 Hz blinking light, fans off, but it does not let my CEC USB device wake the machine. So in terms of power to USB devices or even software drivers, don't know, something is different from the regular S3 (as it happens for example with NUC Kit D54250WYK). Thanks.

• 5. Re: NUC5i3RYK problem: fan still active on S3 suspend
                  topg

OK, so first problem solved. Progress!

As for your second problem - power to a specific USB device in S3 - I'm not so sure. I see in BIOS there's an option for USB power in S4/5, I guess it's worth toggling that to see if it helps (probably not). Otherwise try:

1. In Device Manager look for the problem device, find its Power Management tab and toggle 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' option.

2. Try a different Windows Power Profile.

Let us know how you get on!

• 6. Re: NUC5i3RYK problem: fan still active on S3 suspend
                    solha

Hi topg,

First of all, thanks for your continued support and suggestions.

Regarding the powering of USB on S4/S5, yesterday when I did the test, I checked it was set on the BIOS.

In terms of power management, the device in questions, the USB mouse abstraction I mentioned in one of my last messages, it's configured to wake up the computer and unchecked for 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'. Nevertheless, I did not try not to check that in the USB host drivers, at least two of those drivers (I remember it by heart) have that checked. I'll try that tonight. Many thanks once again.