8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2015 9:10 AM by Frederick Blais

Intel serious about Edison ? Really ? I2S audio, Quark info ?

GlenEnglish

I can only imagine that Intel just have not put on, or have completely underestimated the resources required for this project Edison

Intel - Is this the case?

It is of course their first serious go at it.... But Intel you need to come out and admit it.. All will be forgiven

But by being silent about Edison progress, you worry us.....

From a  professional user perspective, Intel's attention to getting this platform rolling with everything working seems like they are not really serious..

They might be, but it doesn't look like it out here.

We went BACK to an ARM  A5 based product for our latest work. Big quantities, also....Sorry Intel, you missed out on a high profile product because I wasnt convinced that you guys were actually going to finish what was started. I don't mean it the wrong way, but all these peripherals touted in the datasheet not really connected....

I'm not the only one to give up on Edison. Others are concerned. It ok for the progress to be like it is for hobbyists I guess, but an engineering team cannot base a product around a maybe...

I see there is IoT stuff posted in GIT but where are the system manuals for all this stuff, Quark etc ? If it doesnt work, just tell us, its OK, we're engineers, we understand, but dont be silent about it.

This is an amazing product- I think it is sensational. It will change the way we do things this size, and particularly for this power consumption.

I have NO DOUBT Intel may win this market segment because they go throw Intel at it.....I even bought a ATOM based tablet I was so impressed with the computational throughput. But it feels like an Intel experiment..

glen.

• 1. Re: Intel serious about Edison ? Really ? I2S audio, Quark info ?
          Frederick Blais

Edison is only a small part of Intel IoT effort. I think they've made a wonderful job so far. The Edison has only been out for a couple months and features are being added and docs are updated periodically. Look at all the docs : Software & Documentation. Staff from Intel are even answering almost all forum members questions. And you are asking if they are being serious? Really?

The hardware being present (i2s, Quark) does not mean that the software is ready (SDK, driver...). It's a good thing Intel released the Edison early and did not wait after all the features to be implemented. We just can put our hands on earlier and not everybody here need these features. Some people here act like children and are being really impatient. Intel don't owe you anything, not even a word on their progress.

If you are going to need such high quantities for your product, the Edison does not even make sense anyway. Designing with a Computer-on-Module and with a bare SoC are two different world. Good luck with your board layout and the software job required to boot Linux on your A5.

• 2. Re: Intel serious about Edison ? Really ? I2S audio, Quark info ?
            IntelAnonymous

speccy88 schrieb:

The Edison has only been out for a couple months and features are being added and docs are updated periodically. Look at all the docs : Software & Documentation. Staff from Intel are even answering almost all forum members questions.

Almost nothing to add. All Intel employees are doing a great job here and so far I got help with all my questions. Furthermore the community grew a lot the past weeks. And here is one technical reason for choosing the edison: x86 architecture. No more annoying ARM cross compiling. Simple take all your favorite libraries such as Boost for C++, compile your program with linux and copy the binary to the edison, that's it. So easy, so great!

• 3. Re: Intel serious about Edison ? Really ? I2S audio, Quark info ?
              GlenEnglish

Hmm

Since when has compiling for ARM been annoying ? Just change your CC flags for cross compiling.

If you write your MAKE files with any competence they'll deal with a change of compiler with total ease, they wont even notice.

Presumably you 'll have conditionals in there for the tune flags for ARM flavors or your flavor of x86.....

And as for Edison  binary x86.. well not quite, you've really got to compile your code inside the Yocto lib environment to stay on the path where the toolchain people want you to, and to stay up to date........ which is fine, the build environment is easy...

Afraid I disagree with both of you. Intel corporate need  a bit of a slap for this. Since when does any other chip or SOC on the planet get released without at least partial doco on ALL the features ????

As I said, I can only expect it is a lack of resources thrown at the project. I am sure the workers are fine.

Look, there is NO doubt that this is an amazing product- I think it is sensational. It will change the way we do things this size, and particularly for this power consumption.

I have NO DOUBT Intel may win this market segment because they go throw Intel at it.....I even bought a ATOM based tablet I was so impressed with the computational throughput.

But right now, I think  it Intel should call the whole product experimental. Right now it is just a very cool  small wifi computer... but  the potential comes when all those IOs  and other things become active.

• 4. Re: Intel serious about Edison ? Really ? I2S audio, Quark info ?
                IntelAnonymous

Maybe Intel should just delete this thread since you are obviously a troll. But just to make clear:

GlenEnglish schrieb:

Since when has compiling for ARM been annoying ? Just change your CC flags for cross compiling.

If you write your MAKE files with any competence they'll deal with a change of compiler with total ease, they wont even notice.

Presumably you 'll have conditionals in there for the tune flags for ARM flavors or your flavor of x86.....

Sure, do not forget to compile all other libs for ARM and adjust your CMakeLists appropriately.

GlenEnglish schrieb:

And as for Edison  binary x86.. well not quite, you've really got to compile your code inside the Yocto lib environment to stay on the path where the toolchain people want you to, and to stay up to date........ which is fine, the build environment is easy...

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. No one needs the yocto lib environment nor the toolchain. E.g. for C++ take your Ubuntu x86, all your favorite libs such as boost, compile your program as you always do and copy the executable to edison. Voila, that's it, so easy, so simple.

• 5. Re: Intel serious about Edison ? Really ? I2S audio, Quark info ?
                  GlenEnglish

I think we'll agree to disagree and leave it

• 6. Re: Intel serious about Edison ? Really ? I2S audio, Quark info ?
                    Frederick Blais

GlenEnglish wrote:

Look, there is NO doubt that this is an amazing product- I think it is sensational. It will change the way we do things this size, and particularly for this power consumption.

I have NO DOUBT Intel may win this market segment because they go throw Intel at it.....I even bought a ATOM based tablet I was so impressed with the computational throughput.

But right now, I think  it Intel should call the whole product experimental. Right now it is just a very cool  small wifi computer... but  the potential comes when all those IOs  and other things become active.

Thanks.

Yes it is experimental. Sooner or later, all features will be implemented.

What I think about the delays in enabling the Quark is that they want to release it with an RTOS (ViperOS) that is a lightweight version of VxWorks 7 for IoT.

The RTOS is going to be used with other products, like the Curie, that is not even out yet.

GlenEnglish wrote:

Afraid I disagree with both of you. Intel corporate need  a bit of a slap for this. Since when does any other chip or SOC on the planet get released without at least partial doco on ALL the features ????

And since when other manufacturer release all the design file of their products? The Edison is not a typical module, it's an open source reference design targeted for the makers community.

• 7. Re: Intel serious about Edison ? Really ? I2S audio, Quark info ?
                      faceplant

There is absolutely no excuse for Intel to not at least release a block diagram of the Quark configuration.  I was very excited about this product when it first came out, but put my projects on hold, waiting for more information on the Quark.  It's been many months since this product was released and still not a shred of information on the Quark.  I understand if the software isn't ready, but they could at least document the hardware interconnection with the quark and describe what capabilities it will have when the software is completed.  I would have moved onto another product by now, but frankly there is no other product like the Quark at the moment, so I am just waiting...

• 8. Re: Intel serious about Edison ? Really ? I2S audio, Quark info ?
                        Frederick Blais

Maybe they will want to share details if you contact them directly. Companies who are willing to develop products with the Edison (like RoboCORE) probably had access to these information.