6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2015 7:11 AM by Swamy_Govinda

Hello everyone

Swamy_Govinda

Can we connect Intel Galileo Generation 2 board to limited battery?

If so how to make connections?

I mean where to connect it ? can we connect it to Vin pin or to the power supply pin(PWR on the board) where we connect general power supply to the board?

How many volts battery we need to connect to it?

• 1. Re: Hello everyone
          DiegoV_Intel

Hi Swamy_Govinda,

The Galileo board can be powered using a battery but it is not recommended. The board should be powered using an input voltage from 7V to 15V, so you will need a battery with an output voltage in that range.

About where to connect the battery, you can connect it in the Vin header or in the barrel jack. Both points are connected internally, so they are actually the same point. If you want to power the board through the barrel jack input using a battery you might find useful a cable like this: https://www.google.com/search?q=barrel+jack+battery+cable&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=s-YCVamBI4j8oQTBhIC4Bw&…

Regards,

Diego.

• 2. Re: Hello everyone
            Swamy_Govinda

thanks DiegoV_Intel for the highly needed information.

How can i get limited battery reading using arduino IDE script ?

suppose now the battery voltage is 10 Volts after runnning for some time assume that battery voltage becomes 8 Volts.

I want to take the voltage readings in the arduino IDE script every time.

How can i get it ?

• 3. Re: Hello everyone
              DiegoV_Intel

Hi Swamy_Govinda,

You should use an analog input for that. The Galileo board has an ADC and you can access it through the analog pins A0 to A5. There are some examples in the Arduino IDE that shows how to use the analog read feature. I recommend you to check them, you will find them interesting.

There is a detail however; the analog inputs are 5V tolerant so you have to use signals of 5V or less as inputs. To reduce the voltage input from the battery I will recommend you to use a voltage divider. Here is an explanation about what a voltage divider is: Voltage divider

You will be able to reduce the voltage from the battery to keep it under the safe range for the ADC.

If you have further questions don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,

Diego.

• 4. Re: Hello everyone
                Swamy_Govinda

Hi DiegoV_Intel,

Please look into your two replies for my question.

I need to connect limited battery to Galileo Generation 2 board.

In the first reply you suggested to connect limited battery output in the range of 7V to 15V , that's fine

but when i ask about how to take reading you suggested to connect the battery in the range of 5V or less to Analog pins (Through Analog pins I can read data, that is not a problem).

So what is your final conclusion?

Can i connect 5V battery to analog pin directly, so that i can read battery voltage using analogRead() function or anything else ?

• 5. Re: Hello everyone
                  DiegoV_Intel

Hi Swamy_Govinda,

Let me explain that again. You asked two questions so I will summarize my suggestions for both:

1. If you want to power up your Galileo board with a battery you have to know that the Galileo requires a power supply voltage in the range of 7V to 15V. So you should use a battery with an output voltage in that range. Lets say for example a battery of 10V.
                  2. In your second question you asked how you can take readings from the battery in order to know the voltage level of it. The only way to do that is through the analogue pins. You have to connect an analogue signal and you can read its value in an Arduino script. However, the analogue pins are 5V tolerant. This means that you only should connect signals from 0V to 5V. Now, lets suppose you are using the same 10V battery from the example above. This battery will be powering your board because its output voltage is between the valid ranges: 7V to 15V. But if you connect its output to the analogue pins to read its voltage level you will damage the board because its voltage output is higher than 5V which is the max value the analogue pins can take. The solution would be to use a voltage divider before connecting the battery output to the analogue pins. The voltage divider will reduce the output voltage to the safe value for the analogue pins and you will be able to read its voltage level in your script.

Please let me know if it is clear now. Check the diagram below, it illustrates the explanation above:

VoltageDivider.jpg

Regards,

Diego.

• 6. Re: Hello everyone
                    Swamy_Govinda

Thanks for the clear explanation DiegoV_Intel