Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Is Intel Ready Mode Technology available on 5th generation i7 CPUs?

NUbbl
Beginner

Is RMT available on the high-end CPUs, especially the i7-5930K?

There seems to be little info about RMT, presumably it's still being rolled out and mainly to OEMs.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello nubble,

This feature has been included from the Intel® 4th generation processors so the processor in mention should support it. Check the documentation here:

https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/intel-ready-mode-technology.html Intel® Ready Mode Technology

Kevin M

NUbbl
Beginner

Thanks Kevin

I had already seen the intel-ready-mode-technology-brief and noted this sentence

"Intel® Ready Mode Technology-equipped PCs utilize 4th generation Intel® Core™ processor-based advanced power management

and advances in motherboard and peripheral idle power consumption".

but didn't interpret it to mean that all 4th gen CPUs supported Ready Mode Technology. If that's true and applies to 5th gen CPUs too then that's half my battle.

I had hoped just to find a CPU & motherboard which both said "Supports Intel Ready Mode Technology" but it's not that easy.

The otherwise excellent Intel CPU selector doesn't mention it. I thought that finding which CPUs support the S0ix power states might help but that's not listed either: the closest I can find on this spec page is "Idle states: Yes"

http://ark.intel.com/products/82931/Intel-Core-i7-5930K-Processor-15M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz ARK | Intel® Core™ i7-5930K Processor (15M Cache, up to 3.70 GHz)

Looking at http://www.intel.com/newsroom/kits/desktop/2014/pdfs/DT_press_day_briefing.pdf Intel's March 14 announcement (p15), it's clearly aimed at OEMs (like Microsoft's similar Connected Standby/InstantGo):

"Intel® Ready Mode Technology is a capability that takes advantage of new power-saving states in

Intel's 4th gen Core desktop processor combined with software and board level optimizations which

enable OEM desktop computers that are instantly ready and always connected while sipping power1

OEM systems available today with more on their way

[tiny print]

1 Requires the purchase of Intel® Ready Mode Technology-enabled desktop PC or motherboard, a genuine Intel® processor, internet connection, Windows* 7 or Windows* 8 OS, and 3rd party software. Results dependent upon hardware, applications installed, internet connectivity, setup and configuration. Performance may vary based upon hardware, applications installed, internet connectivity, setup and configuration. Enables an OEM to meet energy regulations per published testing guidelines from global energy regulatory bodies."

Note the "desktop PC or motherboard"; that's encouraging, but what about the "3rd party software"?

Are OEM's using their own brand names for Ready Mode Technology (Gigabyte Power Miser or whatever)?

tl;dr Which socket 2011-v3 motherboards support Intel Ready Mode Technology? Wrong forum, I know.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

That is a very good question but I can confirm our processors do support this feature but on third party systems that will depend on the motherboard specifications so it may be needed for you to check with the OEM this information.

Kevin m

0 Kudos