10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2015 11:05 AM by rguevara

i3-5010u without RDSEED and SMAP

mark9

Despite what's written in the product briefs my i3-5010u does not have RDSEED and SMAP.

http://www.mouser.com/pdfdocs/Broadwell_Platform_Brief.PDF

The program I've written crashes, and tools like "coreinfo" and "hwinfo64" don't show it, too. RDRAND works fine.

Is this something my NUC5i3MYHE is still due to receive with microcode along with a new BIOS (I am at v20)?

• 1. Re: i3-5010u without RDSEED and SMAP
          allan_intel

I am currently researching on this issue. As soon as I can, I will send you a message with my findings. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Allan.

• 2. Re: i3-5010u without RDSEED and SMAP
            allan_intel

I have been able to run coreinfo program where I see RDSEED and SMAP as supported features.

coreinfo.PNG

Please attach screenshot when you run Coreinfo.

Allan.

• 3. Re: i3-5010u without RDSEED and SMAP
              mark9

Here you go:

i3-5010u without some instruction sets.png

Mark

• 4. Re: i3-5010u without RDSEED and SMAP
                rguevara

Hi mark9,

I work with allan_intel and I see in your Coreinfo screenshot that RDSEED and SMAP appear as supported.

Is there anything else you need help with?

Thanks,

Ronny G

• 5. Re: i3-5010u without RDSEED and SMAP
                  mark9

Hi rguevara,

The screenshot with the red markings is mine. An asterisk indicates that a feature is »supported«, the quad says »not supported«.

Still waiting on your input regarding the missing instruction sets.

Thanks,

Mark

• 6. Re: i3-5010u without RDSEED and SMAP
                    rguevara

Hi mark9,

We (Intel Customer Support) are still investigating on your question and we will get to you soon. I apologize for the delay and will post an update as soon as possible.

Thanks,

• 7. Re: i3-5010u without RDSEED and SMAP
                      sjkuo

Hi Mark9

Can you provide information on whether your CoreInfo dump was run inside a virtual machine or on bare metal?

I ask this because some of your other red boxes are consistent with typical approaches that VMMs would do in its productization decision on what limitation its Guest OS would have.

For example, debug storage is a facility, to my understanding, present in recent generations of processors. However, system utility that would make use of debug storage for profiling present a significant challenge in a virtualized environment. Since VMMs operating on bare metal will emulate CPUID and feed emulated output into its guests, when software in a gues OS executes CPUID. VMM will emulate CPUID (for all features it does not know about or did not wish to support within a guest) as not present.

DS not available is likely the result of VMM emulated CPUID reporting it didn't wish guess software to use debug storage, where as absence of RDSEED/SMAP flag could be the result of a VMM not aware of it at the time of product feature freeze of a VMM vendor.

• 8. Re: i3-5010u without RDSEED and SMAP
                        mark9

Hi sjkuo,

I've run CoreInfo and friends on a new, clean, bare-metal installation of Windows 8.1 pro. I've enabled virtualization support in the BIOS, though.

I've not been contacted in the meanwhile privately to provide the serial number of production date of the device. No advance exchange happend to obtain the NUC in question from me. The distributor has told me she/he has not been approached by anyone well-known with the intent to pull a sample from the lot, too.

Due to me not having another NUC for comparison I've reached out to the press to obtain comparisons and our findings are currently those: the i3-5010u has RDSEED and SMAP (etc.), the instruction sets are missing on some NUCs, though, all of them having in common that they are run under Windows—which could be a coincidence due to few compared samples.

Thanks,

Mark

• 9. Re: i3-5010u without RDSEED and SMAP
                          mark9

I've decided to return the NUC.

• 10. Re: i3-5010u without RDSEED and SMAP
                            rguevara

Hi mark9,          

I am sorry to hear that you returned the NUC and I really apologize for any inconvenience around the purchase of this product.

I hope that you could give us a second chance in the future.

Regards,