Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20620 Discussions

Power cycling Dell UP3214Q resets all windows to 1024x786

SStei10
Novice

I'm running my Dell UP3214Q REV A02 on an intel U4500U using driver revision 15.36.14.64.4080.

Whenever I power off and on again the screen, all windows I had open are reset to 1024x786 and they all occupy the lower left of the screen. It is as if when the display comes back on, it is first recognized as a 1024x786 screen, and only later on as a dual tile 4K display so in the end, the resolution is fine again, but the windows have been resized and remain where they are.

This happens in both DisplayPort 1.1 and 1.2 mode and has been going on for the past few driver revisions.

Has anyone else encountered this? Keep in mind.. I have a Haswell U series CPU, so HD4400 GFX which is something different than all those desktop beasts or Broadwell chips.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Does this problem happen only with Intel video driver from Intel.com site?

Do you get same problem with customized drivers from Dell?

Have you tried different video cables?

As far as I understand our Intel graphics drivers will keep mode persistence no matter if the computer has been rebooted or entered on hibernation and stand by.

Allan.

0 Kudos
SStei10
Novice

The machine I have is not from Dell, it's a Gigabyte Brix. It also happens on my work machine. Both use drivers from intel.com, though different revisions (I'm not on control of what drivers they roll out on the work machine). Why would an outdated driver you get from the manufacturer work differently? I've always been using drivers directly from intel.com. If we look at the Gigabyte page, for my GB-BXi7-4500, the drivers they have are version 10.18.10.3262 from January 2014. Those drivers are a disaster with this screen (it's dual tile.. until Q3 2014, intel had no drivers that could properly handle dual tile 4K screens like the UP3214Q), there's no point even trying because it will render the machine halfway unusable. The drivers from hp (for the work notebook) are more recent but it's a question of permission to be able to install drivers (IT like to have control over what is installed).

Cables: Yes I've tried that. I have a half dozen different cables, it makes no difference.

The OS is Win8.1 in all cases by the way. I have another test machine at work with Win7 so I'll give that a try next week - Dell tells me there are some differences in drive model that could have an influence.

As far as persistence goes.. that's not quite correct... when the screen enters power saving mode, and then is woken up again some time later (it takes a certain time.. I've never measured but I'd say 10 minutes to be on the safe side), it may happen that the screen won't get a picture anymore and you need to power cycle the screen (and thus the window resizing issue once again pops up). This does not happen every time, only maybe 10 to 20% of all cases. This issue (unlike the resizing - that also happens on my gaming PC with a nVidia GTX780TI) happens only when connected to an intel HD4400 GFX card.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I have been testing the latest video drivers 4080 and earlier version, 3958 and 3960, they all kept same screen configuration.

You may need to check with Gigabyte for any BIOS update that could interact with graphics video BIOS (Vbios).

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/support-downloads.aspx GIGABYTE - Support

Allan.

0 Kudos
SStei10
Novice

@allan_intel: What precise hardware config did you test? Dell UP3214Q? Which Revision? What PC? And which OS?

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I have been testing Intel NUC and Ultrabook system.

Intel(R) NUC: D54250WYK, win7 64 bit and Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Dell XPS15 under Windows 8.1

Again,I have been testing the latest video drivers 4080.

Allan.

0 Kudos
SStei10
Novice

Ok. I've been doing some additional checking myself with the work machine. Using drivers 4080 and bios revision 1.3 I was unable to replicate the problem anymore. I'm going to upgrade the BIOS of my Brix next to see if this has any positive effect.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for the update.

Allan.

0 Kudos