1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2015 5:13 PM by dottedquad

How do I install an Ethernet USB Dongle using the Edison Arduino Breakout?

dottedquad

I am trying to get my Trendnet Ethernet USB dongle to work and I do not know how to assign an IP address to the Ethernet dongle.  I hooked the Trendnet TU2-ET100 Ethernet dongle to the Large USB port located on the Arduino Breakout Board and turned on the Edison.  What do I need to do to install the Trendnet Ethernet dongle drivers or to see if  the drivers are already installed? The dongle information can be found here: TRENDnet | Support | |. I did type 'ip a' and this is the output the 'ip a' produced:

1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue

link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00

inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo

valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

inet6 ::1/128 scope host

2: sit0: <NOARP> mtu 1480 qdisc noop

link/sit 0.0.0.0 brd 0.0.0.0

3: wlan0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 1000

link/ether fc:c2:de:3e:22:fc brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

inet 192.168.1.16/24 scope global wlan0

4: usb0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 1000

link/ether 02:00:86:ad:22:c8 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

inet 192.168.2.15/24 brd 192.168.2.255 scope global usb0

inet6 fe80::86ff:fead:22c8/64 scope link

• 1. Re: How do I install an Ethernet USB Dongle using the Edison Arduino Breakout?
          Intel_Alvarado

Hi dottedquad,

For you to check that the Dongle is connected you need to see an eth0 interface up. Using connman may help you assign an IP address over DHCP try with

systemctl enable connman && systemctl start connman.

Let me know your results

Sergio

• 2. Re: How do I install an Ethernet USB Dongle using the Edison Arduino Breakout?
            tintar

I have the same ET100 adapter which has worked well under other systems. (this is a pretty standard/generic chipset) - but I have not tried on Edison (adapter is away at my office, or I could give you a better answer right now)

it really should show, up or down, as a usb1 or eth0/eth1. if you are not getting that, then something is missing.

but ... looking at the 2014 AND 2015 kernel .config for Edison - it appears basic ASIX object is enabled.

Device Drivers  --->

Network device support  --->

USB Network Adapters  --->

<*>   ASIX AX88xxx Based USB 2.0 Ethernet Adapters

< >   ASIX AX88179/178A USB 3.0/2.0 to Gigabit Ethernet

may be it is a newer revision, and the newer driver needs enabled?

• 3. Re: How do I install an Ethernet USB Dongle using the Edison Arduino Breakout?
              dottedquad

Intel_Alvarado I did as you recommended and executed:

root@InternetofGardens:~/code/irrigation# systemctl enable connman && systemctl

start connman

ln -s '/lib/systemd/system/connman.service' '/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/connman.service'

I then typed ip a again and this was the output:

3: wlan0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST8000> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 1000

4: usb0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 1000

inet 192.168.2.15/24 brd 192.168.2.255 scope global usb0

inet6 fe80::86ff:fead:22c8/64 scope link

I notice usb0 is listed as before when I first executed 'ip a' in my original post.  I see there is an IP of 192.168.2.15 which, if I am not mistaken, is the Ethernet over USB(not the dongle).?

• 5. Re: How do I install an Ethernet USB Dongle using the Edison Arduino Breakout?
                tintar

couldn't find my trendnet usb doodad in my office, still trying to find it, sorry.

02:00:86:... is definitely the Intel OTG usb.

I don't think the default config will show up in e.g. /proc/config* or /boot/config* ...?

the latest config could be found in:

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/24698/eng/edison-src-ww05-15.tgz

edison-src/device-software/meta-edison/recipes-kernel/linux/files/defconfig

if you want to try:

Niise's guide is pretty great for building new 3.10.17 kernels (it's what I used/use, anyway)

Intel Edison mini breakout board w/ MPD

• 6. Re: How do I install an Ethernet USB Dongle using the Edison Arduino Breakout?
                  mweal

Before you get too carried away, try "lsusb" to see if the device is present.  If you get the -99 error you have sw1 setting the USB port to device rather than host mode.

I have used an Asix AX88772B USB Ethernet adapter (which I believe is the chip used in Trendnet TU2-ET100) on the mini breakout board and the drivers were already in the kernel.

• 7. Re: How do I install an Ethernet USB Dongle using the Edison Arduino Breakout?
                    tintar

THIS IS NOT A BAD SUGGESTION.

a. pilot error. I am a constant victim of it.

2. ok the arduino board is happily less-susceptible, but yeah Edison has some weird-*** host-mode BS that likes to flip around based on perceived-power-source.

• 8. Re: How do I install an Ethernet USB Dongle using the Edison Arduino Breakout?
                      dottedquad

mweal I do receive the -99 error when executing lsusb.  I moved the switch from the default left position to the right position(toward the large USB port) and the green LED shut off and the terminal (serial connection) ended.  The Edison seems to be not responding.... I then move the switch to the left side (toward the small usb port) and I now receiving the bootup process echo out to my terminal window.

Also, a quick google search revealed the chipset is a ASIX AX88772A I am not sure if there is a major difference between the A vs B version.

• 9. Re: How do I install an Ethernet USB Dongle using the Edison Arduino Breakout?
                        mweal

I am guessing you are powering the board from the micro usb connector....

You can only power the board from the microUSB (J16) when the Edison is configured as a device.  The switch needs to be towards the Large USB connector (host mode) and power the Ardruino from the barrel connector (J1).

• 10. Re: How do I install an Ethernet USB Dongle using the Edison Arduino Breakout?
                          tintar

yeah, as mweal said, if you are getting -99 on lsusb, well, you know.

from earlier this morning:

(this is ubi version, mind)

[Fri Mar 13 11:37:29 2015] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 3 using dwc3-host

[Fri Mar 13 11:37:29 2015] usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=0b95, idProduct=7720

[Fri Mar 13 11:37:29 2015] usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3

[Fri Mar 13 11:37:29 2015] usb 1-1: Product: AX88x72A

[Fri Mar 13 11:37:29 2015] usb 1-1: Manufacturer: ASIX Elec. Corp.

[Fri Mar 13 11:37:29 2015] usb 1-1: SerialNumber: xxxxxx

[Fri Mar 13 11:37:30 2015] asix 1-1:1.0 eth0: register 'asix' at usb-dwc3-host.2-1, ASIX AX88772 USB 2.0 Ethernet, d8:eb:97:xx:xx:xx

• 11. Re: How do I install an Ethernet USB Dongle using the Edison Arduino Breakout?
                            dottedquad

mweal Hi.  I completely shutdown the Intel, disconnected the USB OTG cable, moved the switch to the right(toward the larger USB port).  I then executed lsusb and I received the following:

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0b95:7720 ASIX Electronics Corp. AX88772

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub

Intel_Alvarado as you recommended, I executed the follow command:

systemctl enable connman && systemctl start connman

The command didn't fail, but it also didn't respond back with anything.  I then executed 'ip a' which responded back with:

3: wlan0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 1000

4: usb0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop qlen 1000

5: enp0s17u1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP8000> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 1000

link/ether d8:eb:97:bd:92:a2 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

inet 192.168.1.12/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global enp0s17u1

inet6 fe80::daeb:97ff:febd:92a2/64 scope link

I did notice my WiFi ip no longer exists and I now have an IP of 192.168.1.12 assigned to enp0s17u1 which is my Ethernet Dongle :-) I confirmed that it was my Ethernet dongle, by checking my 'Attached devices" in my router settings and then disconnected the Ethernet cable from the dongle and pressed the "refresh" button which resulted in the 192.168.1.12 ip address to no longer exist in the list of attached devices.

I then rebooted the Edison and it seems that the Edison now defaults to using the Ethernet dongle instead of the WiFi.  I was wondering if it is possible to use both both the WiFi and Ethernet to have two separate IP addresses?  I don't plan on using that type of configuration in the future, Its just a question out of curiosity. However, what I would like to do is have the Edison connect to my router using the Ethernet dongle and have the WiFi act as an AP so other micro-controllers that I have laying around can connect to the Edison via Wifi to communicate back and forth. I was either wanting to using WiFi or Ethernet depending on how far I was away from the router and  for the extreme distance case, I would use a LoRa wireless module to possibly connect to my other micro-controllers giving me an extended distance.

tintar I have tried using ubi as my distro of choice, however, when I attempted to connect the Edison using 5GHz WiFi connection it would fail.  However, the Edison was able to connect to the 2.4GHz WiFi connection.  I then switched back to Yocto because of the WiFi connection issue.

• 12. Re: How do I install an Ethernet USB Dongle using the Edison Arduino Breakout?
                              dottedquad

tintar

I reinstalled ubi onto another Edison that I had laying around. This time I was able to connect the Edison to my 5Ghz WiFi connection.  I then switched the Edison into Host mode and plugged in the Ethernet dongle. I then typed 'lsusb' into the terminal window and I see the Ethernet Dongle listed.  What steps did you take to assign an IP address?  I tried what Intel_Alvarado mentioned earlier but, I received:

-bash: systemctl: command not found

I tried to apt-get install systemctl but I received a

Unable to locate package

• 13. Re: How do I install an Ethernet USB Dongle using the Edison Arduino Breakout?
                                dottedquad

I edited the interfaces file to auto  wlan0 and eth0 and set them both for dhcp.  I now get IPs on both wlan0 and eth0. Ubilinux seems like the better choice for me.

• 14. Re: How do I install an Ethernet USB Dongle using the Edison Arduino Breakout?
                                  Intel_Alvarado

Hi dottedquad,

Did you switch images? I am using the latest available for yocto so that if I type configure_edison –version I get 120 as a response. The systemctl is a tool that lets you control systemd which is a packet manager included in the Yocto image and may not be available in other images. Also apt-get is not available in Yocto, you should try using opkg.

Also take a look at Re: connmanctl connect <service> returns Error <service> Not registered , you may find it useful.

Sergio

1 2 Previous Next