1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2015 9:07 PM by Nixiedesk

NUC5i5RYH Experiences

malch

I thought I would summarize approx. 2 weeks of experience with a new NUC5i5RYH is case it helps others.

The unboxing was uneventful as was the installation of 4GB of Crucial RAM and an old Intel X25-M 2.5inch 80GB SSD. New users would be well advised to purchase only the Intel recommended RAM:

Intel® NUC Boards and Kits — System Memory

Next, I used a USB DVD drive to install Windows 7 Pro SP1. This was easy enough although you'll want to grab the Intel Driver Bundle to get network support:

Intel® Download Center

After finishing Windows Update everything seemed okay.

I wasn't really interested in running Windows but I imaged the system drive so I could slam that back at a later date for testing, curiosity or whatever.

Next, I moved on to Linux and specifically Lubuntu 14.10. This didn't go so well. Most of the stable Linux releases are not yet ready for prime time of the 5th Gen NUC. Looks like a lot of issues with the X-server and HD6000 graphics. It seems that you'll need at least a 3.18 kernel but that alone is probably not sufficient. I wasn't able to make any flavor of Mint 17 to work fully, even with the 3.19 kernel. You can get it to run with "nosetmode xforcevesa" but that uses software rendering for all the graphics.

However, the good news is that the Lubuntu (and Xubuntu) 15.04 betas work just fine. Installation is a breeze!

Working off that base, I've largely succeeded in building the HTPC of my dreams based on Kodi. However, I still have two outstanding technical issues:

1. The infra-red sensor (CIR) makes the Intel NUC very attractive for HTPC applications. However, the CIR does not appear to work at all with Linux on the Broadwell NUC's. The workarounds that helped 4th Gen NUC owners do not work on the Broadwell devices. Intel say the CIR works with Windows (I haven't verified). Fingers have been pointed at the Linux kernel although I'm more inclined to believe the BIOS has an ACPI compliance issue. Intel appear to acknowledge the problem and maybe they're looking at it. But they're certainly not making any bold promises of a fix.

Meanwhile, I went and splashed $20 on a FLIRC:

http://www.amazon.com/FLIRC-Dongle-Media-Centre-Raspberry/dp/B00BB0ETW8

And this works pretty much perfectly. I'm really quite impressed and for any impatient folks out there, I highly recommend it. I even have my IR remote powering on the NUC from the S5 state.

2. My NUC will randomly power itself on from the S5 (off) state after two or three hours, even in the middle of the night, or with nobody in the house. I have tried numerous things including BIOS settings to:

* Disable WoL

* Disable wake on RTC

* Disable wake on IR

* Disable PCIe ASPM

Again, I suspect a BIOS issue although I can't rule out the possibility that this problem is specific to my sample. So I'm agonizing over whether to RMA this unit.

I wanted to love my new NUC, but overall, I'm a little disappointed. The CIR and random power-on issues are quite irritating. I'm also less than thrilled with Intel's stance on Linux support. I think it's a little disingenuous to advertize, market and promote "Linux compatibility" but then deny all support obligations at the first hint of a problem.

Right now, I'll give the 5th Gen NUC a C+. Fixing the CIR and random power on will raise the grade quite a bit. And if new stable Linux distros work well out-of-the-box with the HD6000 graphics an A grade is still achievable by the late spring or early summer. Fingers crossed....

• 1. Re: NUC5i5RYH Experiences
          jg317

Made an account just to comment about this:

malch wrote:

2. My NUC will randomly power itself on from the S5 (off) state after two or three hours, even in the middle of the night, or with nobody in the house. I have tried numerous things including BIOS settings to:

Again, I suspect a BIOS issue although I can't rule out the possibility that this problem is specific to my sample. So I'm agonizing over whether to RMA this unit.

..... random power-on issues are quite irritating.

I've had my 5i3RYH up & running for about a week now and am experiencing the same sleep/power cycle issues and then some.....(note I have the approved Crucial 4 GB Ram installed, a 2.5" HDD, & Windows 7)

The device will *not* sleep and will not *shut down*....very frustrating as it immediately powers back on.

I need to sit down & spend some more time troubleshooting -- looking at the event logs and try to update BIOS & drivers, settings, etc....

A couple quick Google searches makes me think that it's being caused by either a:
          BIOS issue (most likely)
          Wireless keyboard problem (it still acts up with a wired keyboard though)
          Or a WoL setting/problem (but I still get the restart problem with all network connections disabled).

I've debated trying to remove the board in order to reset the CMOS battery but don't want to if I don't have to.

Please keep me posted if you find a fix for the sleep problem, I have a feeling it would solve my issues as well....very interested in finding a resolution to this.
          I will post a reply here if I find anything as well

• 2. Re: NUC5i5RYH Experiences
            malch

In my original message, I forgot to mention a third problem/solution with my NUC:

3. When reading/writing a thumb drive, I noticed that my wireless keyboard/mouse would go fairly crazy. Apparently, there's a generic problem (not specific to the NUC) with USB3 ports producing radio frequency interference in the 2.4GHz region of the spectrum frequently used by wireless devices:

USB 3.0* Radio Frequency Interference on 2.4 GHz Devices

I just moved my wireless dongles a short distance from the NUC using a cheap USB2 hub with an 18inch cable. Problem solved.

As for the power management issues... no answers yet. Our situations are a little different: Linux .v. Windows. And I'm not really interested in suspend or hibernate. With modern CPU's and a SSD full boot speeds are pretty decent. Nevertheless, I do have a wild theory that the operating system/BIOS/controllers are not passing around the ACPI  information correctly.

Therefore, you might want to try this:

* Go into the BIOS (Power section) and disable WOL from S4/S5, Wake from S5, and USB S4/S5 Power.

* Then in Windows, via Device Manager, disable any wake options on the individual controllers.I'm guessing there will be one present on the LAN adapter but possibly elsewhere too.

If this works/helps, I guess you try enabling them one at a time to see who is guilty of generating the spurious startups and shutdowns.

• 3. Re: NUC5i5RYH Experiences
              Wolf666

I own a NUC5i3RYH, 4GB Kingston, 80GB SSD Intel 530. I am pretty satisfied, I have installed Arch Linux, Win 8.1 and OpenELEC, no problem in the process, always using USB stick. After 2 weeks of testing I definitely decided to only use OpenELEC + Plex Home Theater. I just only need a HTPC. I did not have any unsolicited wake up, unit goes to sleep or shut down from iOS app Roomie. I use WOL for wake it up. My only concern is the CIR issue. I strongly confide on Intel to fix this issue on Linux distro in order to use my Logitech Harmony. WIreless keyboard works fine, 2.4GHz interference issue can be easily bypassed by using an USB extension cable. My vote is A- .

• 4. Re: NUC5i5RYH Experiences
                jg317

malch wrote:

3. When reading/writing a thumb drive, I noticed that my wireless keyboard/mouse would go fairly crazy. Apparently, there's a generic problem (not specific to the NUC) with USB3 ports producing radio frequency interference in the 2.4GHz region of the spectrum frequently used by wireless devices:

USB 3.0* Radio Frequency Interference on 2.4 GHz Devices

I just moved my wireless dongles a short distance from the NUC using a cheap USB2 hub with an 18inch cable. Problem solved.

I haven't experienced this with the NUC (yet) but I did have this issue on another desktop.  And you're absolutely correct on the solution --- I added a USB cable and moved the dongle away from the machine and haven't had a single issue since.

And while we're on the topic of I/O issues --- certain wireless keyboards will not allow you to enter BIOS setup by pressing the F keys.  My (EDIT: not Kensington) Logitech k400 is one of these "problem" keyboard models --- I found an article about it a few days ago but can't find it now.  (Also can't remember if this is specific to the NUC or a general Intel issue)

My point is ... if you're using a wireless keyboard & failing to access the BIOS setup, try a different (preferably wired) keyboard and you should be ok.

malch wrote:

As for the power management issues... no answers yet. Our situations are a little different: Linux .v. Windows. And I'm not really interested in suspend or hibernate. With modern CPU's and a SSD full boot speeds are pretty decent. Nevertheless, I do have a wild theory that the operating system/BIOS/controllers are not passing around the ACPI  information correctly.

Therefore, you might want to try this:

* Go into the BIOS (Power section) and disable WOL from S4/S5, Wake from S5, and USB S4/S5 Power.

* Then in Windows, via Device Manager, disable any wake options on the individual controllers.I'm guessing there will be one present on the LAN adapter but possibly elsewhere too.

If this works/helps, I guess you try enabling them one at a time to see who is guilty of generating the spurious startups and shutdowns.

Apologies for the misunderstanding, I read that you booted Win7 as well as Linux and assumed you were having power issues with both.

I will try out your suggestions, thank you.

I may not get to it for a few days, but regardless I will certainly report back with my findings.

• 5. Re: NUC5i5RYH Experiences
                  malch

Well, I think I have made some progress toward narrowing down the source of my NUC waking up at random times...

After disabling all of the wake options in the BIOS settings, I looked in the file /proc/acpi/wakeup and found that three devices were still wake enabled.

GLAN

EHC1

XHC

I forced all three into the disabled state and shutdown the machine.And, yeah, it's still off 9 hours later. Until now, it's never gone through the night without waking up.

Now we can start to narrow things down even if it takes a day or three. I'm guessing that we have some USB noise somewhere. Maybe it's my wireless keyboard? Maybe the NUC is a tad oversensitive to noise too?

It might also be that I'm forced to disable all USB-based wakeups. That would be a bummer unless we can figure out how to get the CIR working fully on Broadwell NUCs running Linux.

• 6. Re: NUC5i5RYH Experiences
                    jg317

Thanks for the info, malch.  I'll look into these items as well. 

And this issue wouldn't be relative to you on Linux; but I've also wondered if my problem has something to do with Windows Media Center & media sharing....

I have another PC on my network that sleeps just fine and will wake for scheduled recordings but perhaps there's a task or power setting on the NUC that isn't allowing it to shut down because of a media related background task....

• 7. Re: NUC5i5RYH Experiences
                      Coloradotechie

Thank you for your post.  I just bought a NUC5i5RYH and I'm suffering the graphics issues of trying to get Ubuntu 14.x LTS to work.  I'll try the 15.x version.

I hope that the issue is related to the NUC5i5RYH being so new.

• 8. Re: NUC5i5RYH Experiences
                        Wolf666

Coloradotechie There are some problem with HD6000 Linux. You should be fine with 15 version. If you have time, give a chance to Arch Linux, bleeding edge Linux distro.

• 9. Re: NUC5i5RYH Experiences
                          R.stv

jg317 wrote:

And while we're on the topic of I/O issues --- certain wireless keyboards will not allow you to enter BIOS setup by pressing the F keys.  My (EDIT: not Kensington) Logitech k400 is one of these "problem" keyboard models --- I found an article about it a few days ago but can't find it now.  (Also can't remember if this is specific to the NUC or a general Intel issue)

I have the same keyboard, the Logitech K400r, and was also having trouble getting into the BIOS with the F keys. Eventually, I remembered that on this keyboard you need to hold down the 'Fn' key at the bottom of the keyboard next to the 'Ctrl' button in order for the F keys to function; by default, these keys are bound to multimedia functions. Once you hold Fn+F2, you can get into the BIOS without a problem on this keyboard.

I also thought my NUC was broken since I was not even seeing the splash screen after turning it on. Eventually I remembered that I was using my TV as a monitor, and it likes to shut itself off after a few minutes of inactivity

• 10. Re: NUC5i5RYH Experiences
                            R.stv

Wolf666 wrote:

Coloradotechie There are some problem with HD6000 Linux. You should be fine with 15 version. If you have time, give a chance to Arch Linux, bleeding edge Linux distro.

What is the GUI like in Arch? I am pretty in love with XFCE/Xubuntu, also it seems like *Ubuntu has good compatibility with Linux apps.     

• 11. Re: NUC5i5RYH Experiences
                              Wolf666

R.stv Arch Linux comes without any GUI, any desktop, window manager, login manager. You need to build your environment by your own. Frankly speaking, Arch Linux can be tough, you should have medium-high linux skill, or enough time to read WIKI.

If you want the easy way, test Manjaro Linux – Enjoy the simplicity (highly recommended for beginners) or (recommended to start learning the Arch way) Arch Bang ArchBang Forums both are based on Arch Linux.

My previous setup with my NUC5i3RYH was Arch Linux + SDDM (login manager) + Openbox (Window Manager) (100MB of RAM used!), with auto login and Plex Home Theater starting at login (750 MB of RAM used). It is a basic HTPC configuration, this is the reason why I then removed Linux and use only OpenELEC.

Please also note I successfully used Desktop Environment as xfce, LXDE, KDE Plasma.... If you like Linux and you want to know it deeply...Arch Linux is the answer, be ready (since is a rolling distro) to recovery your system.

• 12. Re: NUC5i5RYH Experiences
                                malch

R.stv wrote:

I have the same keyboard, the Logitech K400r, and was also having trouble getting into the BIOS with the F keys.

Interesting. No problems reaching the BIOS with F2 here. I have the Logitech K400 which is slightly different from the K400r.

So I think it's only the K400r users that need to hold the Fn key down when pressing a function key.

• 13. Re: NUC5i5RYH Experiences
                                  Nixiedesk

"Next, I used a USB DVD drive to install Windows 7 Pro SP1. This was easy enough although you'll want to grab the Intel Driver Bundle to get network support:"

Any tips you (or anyone else) can pass down about installing Win7 on a Samsung XP941 ssd?

I have the disk and USB-DVD but also some slight trepidation.

• 14. Re: NUC5i5RYH Experiences
                                    OrangeMath

Thank you for the link to the correct site of the Download center. Too bad no label on the box told me to go there.  How would I have known.

1 2 Previous Next