5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2015 1:19 PM by DiegoV_Intel

Hello everyone,

Swamy_Govinda

Can anyone provides the detailed procedure on how to interface zigbee/802.15.4 RF module with Intel Galileo Generation 2 using Arduino IDE, if possible can you provide the corresponding code also?

• 1. Re: Hello everyone,
          DiegoV_Intel

Hi Swamy_Govinda,

The XBee module uses a serial interface and it can work using only Tx and Rx. The module has 20 pins but you can use it with only 4 pins. The other pins are for additional features that will depend on your application. Usually they are not required. You can interface the XBee with the Galileo Gen2 as in the picture below:

XBeeGalileoGen2.jpg

These modules are usually programmed with a software named XCTU. You have to configure the module with this software and then you can use it easily as a serial interface, reading and writing from the Galileo serial port. Additionally, you can find some useful tests reports here: Shield Testing Report

I hope this has answered your question. You can check the datasheet of the XBee here for further information: XBee User Manual

Regards,

Diego.

• 2. Re: Hello everyone,
            Swamy_Govinda

Thanks DiegoV_Intel for the information you provided.

And One more question I need to take data from the sensor and send it host computer and Zigbee RF module through Intel Galileo Generation 2 board...

Which Serial library i can use it for sending data to Zigbee module and how to receive data from the Zigbee module to host computer through Intel Galileo Generation 2 board?

• 3. Re: Hello everyone,
              DiegoV_Intel

Hi Swamy_Govinda,

You don't have to use any particular serial library. From the Arduino IDE you have to use "Serial1" to write/read data from the IO0 and IO1 pins. The IO0 is the Rx so you should connect it to the Tx of the XBee module. The IO1 is the Tx so you should connect it to the Rx of the XBee module.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,

Diego.

• 4. Re: Hello everyone,
                Swamy_Govinda

Thanks DiegoV_Intel.....

Below description assumes Intel Galileo Generation 2 board is attached with heart rate sensor and Zigbee RF module (Designated this total set up as "node" in below description)

I would like to implement a mesh network as shown in below figure with one coordinator-->BS (should be programmed with broadcast address) and two routers-->0,1 (programmed with the coordinator address as the destination address) and two routers/end devices-->2,3 ( First these should be programmed with broadcast address so that they can form a network with routers and end devices it can be seen in figure by considering all lines as dot lines , then their destination address should be changed to the node having less link cost, it can be shown in figure with thick line).....how can we program the  Zigbee end devices first with broadcast address and after calculating link quality with its parent address programatically and also with firm ware update.?

XMESHwithouthopcount.jpg

• 5. Re: Hello everyone,
                  DiegoV_Intel

Hi Swamy_Govinda,

I think your question would be better answered here Digi Forum. The XBee documentation can be found here: Documentation - Digi International, I will suggest to check it to know how to configure the modules according to your project.

Regards,

Diego.