1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2015 11:38 AM by malch

NUC5i5RYH wakes up by itself

malch

I have a new NUC5i5RYH running Linux pretty well and being used as a HTPC.

I want to use WOL which is enabled in the BIOS and appears to work. i.e. I can fire up the NUC from another system (running Windows and using Nirsoft's WakeMeOnLan) or even from my iPhone (using the Fing app).

However, it seems the NUC will wake up at other random times; generally within an hour or three from shutdown.

I thought it possible (but unlikely) something on my network was generating WOL packets so I have been using the Wireshark sniffer on my home LAN to check for spurious WOLs. Wireshark does see all the WOL commands I send intentionally but has not found any other spurious WOL packets.

While I could disable WOL in the BIOS, this is the first machine for which I really wanted WOL to work so I'm loathe to take that step.

I really don't know what to do or try next. Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: NUC5i5RYH and Wake-On-Lan
          malch

Well, maybe this is not exactly a wake-on-LAN issue.

I tried disconnecting the Ethernet from my NUC, and it still wakes up from S5 at random times.

And then I disabled WOL in the BIOS and it still woke up by itself.

This is not good, Intel.

• 2. Re: NUC5i5RYH wakes up by itself
            joe_intel

Perhaps this is a power failure issue. Try changing the value of “After Power Failure” in BIOS.

• 3. Re: NUC5i5RYH wakes up by itself
              malch

No, it's not a power failure. Here are more details:

NUC5i5RYH running Lubuntu 15.04:

Relevent BIOS settings:

BIOS RYBDWi35.86A.0137.2015.0107.1700 01/07/2015

After Power Failure:   OFF

S3 State Indicator:   Blink

WOL from S4/S5:   OFF

Wake from S5:   OFF

USB S4/S5 Power:   OFF

PCIe ASDM:   ON

Native ACPI:   OFF

These random power-on events are happening quite regularly but last night, I shutdown the machine (to S5) at 21:46:37.

About 1 hour 42 mins later, at 23:28:33, it powered itself on and booted up normally.

As you can see, the BIOS is set to remain off after a power failure.

I do have my desktop on a UPS in another room and I checked the UPS logs for any black-outs, brown-outs, spikes, surges etc. and there was nothing abnormal in that timeframe. Actually, the utility power here is amazingly clean in general.

I have saved kern.log, syslog and eyeballed them but failed to find any clues as to why the NUC decided to power itself on.

Wake-on-LAN and Wake-on-RTC were disabled. Everyone in the house was asleep.

• 4. Re: NUC5i5RYH wakes up by itself
                dougho

I am not from Intel, and I don't have that specific model NUC so this is just a guess.  Is your NUC perhaps in some room where an infra-red remote control is being used, such as for an Xbox or Media Center or perhaps TV?  If so, were you pressing any such remote buttons at the time the NUC powered on?  My previous model i5 NUC power on not just in response to the desired remote power button - it powers on when I press such remote's PAUSE button.  It took me awhile to realize the cause was not "random."  Someone else reported that NUC was responding to their TV remote (Phillips?) power button.  And there is some Xbox remote which is very similar to Media Center remote (so watch out for that remote's Power and Pause buttons).  One more guess (remembering that I do not have that model - maybe there is not only a wired WOL setting but also some Wi-Fi WOL setting?

• 5. Re: NUC5i5RYH wakes up by itself
                  malch

Thanks. I think I've eliminated all these possibilities.

1. As far as IR is concerned, there are a lot of issues with the Broadwell CIR and I can't get that to work at all. That's a whole other ball of wax and there's a lengthy thread on that. In any event, my machine powered itself up at 11:30pm when everyone was asleep. It has powered up at other times when nobody was in the room. And I've tried messing with all my remotes to see if any  would wake the NUC and it doesn't appear to respond to any of them.

2. I've wondered about Wireless WOL too. I can't find any additional settings for that. No can I think of any reason that anything would be sending out WOL packets. Initially, I guess that spurious WOL commands were causing the problem and sniffed the network for a day or so. I never saw any WOL's that I didn't explicitly send myself.

• 6. Re: NUC5i5RYH wakes up by itself
                    joe_intel

Is Intel® Smart Connect Technology disabled (in BIOS or ISCT application)?

You may also disable WOWLAN from the wireless adapter properties.

Intel® Wi-Fi Products — What Are the Advanced Wi-Fi Adapter Settings?

• 7. Re: NUC5i5RYH wakes up by itself
                      malch

joe_intel wrote:

Is Intel® Smart Connect Technology disabled (in BIOS or ISCT application)?

You may also disable WOWLAN from the wireless adapter properties.

I cannot find a Smart Connect Technology option in the BIOS.

I'm running Linux so I obviously haven't installed the Windows Smart Connect software.

As best as I can tell WWLAN is disabled by default. My NUC isn't connected to any wireless networks either.

• 8. Re: NUC5i5RYH wakes up by itself
                        malch

This random wakeup issue continues to drive me crazy.

However, it seems we've been to a similar place before with Haswell and Lynx Point, and that resulted in this tweak to the Linux kernel:

[PATCH 3.8 66/81] xhci: Fix spurious wakeups after S5 on Haswell

That patch seems to rely on detection of a Link Point controller. But the Broadwell devices have Wildcat Point controllers.

So I'm wondering if the XHCI_SPURIOUS_WAKEUP fix needs to be applied for Wildcat Point machines?

Any chance that someone from Intel could take a look and advise the kernel developers if appropriate?

• 9. Re: NUC5i5RYH wakes up by itself
                          CharlieATL

Malch, I think Joe_Intel pointed this out a few days ago, but while I don't have the same problem (and a different NUC, 5425), I used the Intel Integrator Toolkit to generate a report on my BIOS.  As Joe pointed out, the Rapid Start Technology could be causing this, although I don't understand the random aspect of it.  Pasted below is the report from my NUC about that.  I wonder if you downloaded the toolkit and ran it on your machine, you would see something different.  This is from the 1/15/15 BIOS, which I installed and switched all settings to 'default'.  Note that there are 2 versions of the toolkit.

Intel® Rapid Start Technology

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If enabled, the system will wake up faster.

Requires a correctly configured SSD.?Requirements:

SSD attached to Chipset SATA and not part of a RAID volume

Primary partition sized at least equal to installed system memory

Partition ID set to 84 (MBR) or D3BFE2DE-3DAF-11DF-BA40-E3A556D89593 (EFI GPT)

0  : Disabled    (default)

1  : Enabled

Value = 0

[0800] - ONE_OF

Hibernation Timer

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When the system is put to sleep, it will temporarily wake up when the timer expires, and then hibernate to an SSD.

0  : Immediate

1  :  1 minute

2  :  2 minutes

5  :  5 minutes

10  :  10 minutes    (default)

15  :  15 minutes

60  :  1 hour

120  :  2 hours

Value = 10

• 10. Re: NUC5i5RYH wakes up by itself
                            malch

CharlieATL wrote:

Malch, I think Joe_Intel pointed this out a few days ago, but while I don't have the same problem (and a different NUC, 5425), I used the Intel Integrator Toolkit to generate a report on my BIOS.  As Joe pointed out, the Rapid Start Technology could be causing this, although I don't understand the random aspect of it.

Joe was referring to Intel® Smart Connect Technology which in not the same as Rapid Start. Nevertheless, it does look like this too COULD play a role so I will take a look in a day or two. I'll need to image my current Linux install and put back Windows to complete that experiment. Thank you!

• 11. Re: NUC5i5RYH wakes up by itself
                              joe_intel

I was actually wrong about Intel® Smart Connect since it is not available in the Broadwell platform. See https://communities.intel.com/message/283009#283009

You may try to search for a log that will indicate the cause of the wake up event.

• 12. Re: NUC5i5RYH wakes up by itself
                                malch

joe_intel wrote:

You may try to search for a log that will indicate the cause of the wake up event.

Yeah, I wish. Linux really needs the equivalent of the Windows powercfg -lastwake.

• 14. Re: NUC5i5RYH wakes up by itself
                                  malch

joe_intel wrote:

See if this helps: http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/132115/how-to-find-reason-a-notebook-wakes-up

Yeah, been there and tried that. I can't find any clues in any of the logs.

I think maybe I'll try booting with acpi=off to see if that makes a difference. Also look a turning on some ACPI debugging in the kernel.

I still worry that it may be related to the XHCI_SPURIOUS_WAKEUP patch for Haswell.

1 2 Previous Next