4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2015 8:39 PM by Tom_Boctou

Swapping disks betwwen NUCs doesn't work - UEFI issue?

Tom_Boctou

I'm trying to come up with a Linux disk image that I can duplicate onto multiple disks and put into DN2820FYKHs.

Unfortunately when I swap a disk with the first stage of an Ubuntu 14.04 install into another chassis I get the message

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device.

or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a Key"

which is the same message I get with a blank disk.  It boots successfully in the chassis that the install was done on.

Both chassis' are the same, 0047 BIOS, although on was shipped with 0015 and the other was shipped with 0032.

It seems like something about the chassis must be stored in the boot image, or something about the boot image must be stored in the chassis.

I did a hex dump of the boot images and can't find the chassis UUID in it.  The only significant differences up to the first partition are the UUID/GUIDs and the CRCs that wrap them.

It looks like UEFI is choosing to not boot from the disk.  Is it possible to get debugging output from UEFI that will tell me what it thinks is wrong?

Has anyone else seen this problem?

• 1. Re: Swapping disks betwwen NUCs doesn't work - UEFI issue?
          dougho

I am not from Intel.  Have you double-checked the BIOS boot settings on the failing NUC, and if so, have you considered something like reset BIOS settings to default and try again?

My early DN2820FYKH had some sheet of instructions about settings in BIOS relating to booting, I think it was something like Windows 8 vs other operating systems.  There are often settings in BIOS about whether to boot Legacy and/or UEFI, and often secure boot settings.  I think the instruction sheet said to disable UEFI unless you were running Windows 8 - Maybe your failing NUC has UEFI disabled?

• 2. Re: Swapping disks betwwen NUCs doesn't work - UEFI issue?
            Tom_Boctou

It's not "a" failing NUC, it's a bunch of failing NUCs - but some actually work as expected.  All of them have been updated to the same version of BIOS with the same settings, although it's not clear that the BIOS update process actually updates everything that should be updated, so there might be some stale data left over from the old BIOS.  There has been no Windows anything on these devices, they're fresh out of the box.

Unfortunately we need UEFI, so disabling it isn't really an option.

• 3. Re: Swapping disks betwwen NUCs doesn't work - UEFI issue?
              dougho

Sorry if unclear, I was saying that early NUC DN2820 BIOS settings may have disabled UEFI based on something they called "OS Selection." I thought that was how they initially supported some Linux on that model, so I just wanted to make sure that the failing NUCs had UEFI enabled in the BIOS settings.

• 4. Re: Swapping disks betwwen NUCs doesn't work - UEFI issue?
                Tom_Boctou

Yes, UEFI is enabled.  In theory the config on all machines is identical - fresh out of the box, same BIOS and same BIOS config installed from the same thumb drive, and bit-for-bit identical hard drives.