14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2015 4:06 PM by Iron_Attorney

New unified installer - Does not want to start eclipse...

KurtE

I thought I would try out the new installer.   I now have two versions of everything as it choose to put stuff in a different spot which is fine.

It is nice that it also generated Start menu items for each thing (Arduino, Eclipse... )

Is there any new functionality with this release or simply a new installer?

I am trying to launch the newly installed Eclipse (Windows 7 64 bit) and it shows an error:

find: 64-Bit: No such file or directory

Detected Java 32-Bit. The Intel(R) IoT Developer Kit supports only Java 64-Bit.

Please install Java 64-Bit from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/do

wnloads/index.html

Press any key to continue . . .

Note: I do have 64 bit java installed

C:\Intel\iotdk-ide-win>java -version

java version "1.8.0_31"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_31-b13)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.31-b07, mixed mode)

The problem is, that your launcher does:

java -version 2>&1 | find "64-Bit" >nul:

The problem is find on my machine is looking for a file name, which it does not find.  This looks more like a grep type of functionality.

Kurt

• 1. Re: New unified installer - Does not want to start eclipse...
          CMata_Intel

Hi KurtE;

I'm using (and it launches fine):

java version "1.7.0_72"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_72-b32)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.72-b04, mixed mode)

Did you have another issue or exit code while installing the kit?

Regards;

CMata

• 2. Re: New unified installer - Does not want to start eclipse...
            KurtE

The issue is using the find command.  As I have and do use this same machine for other development, there is other IDEs installed, including winavr...

Many of these systems/IDEs install t install linux like commands including find.

On my machine, I have:

C:\Intel\iotdk-ide-win>where find.*

C:\WinAVR-20100110\utils\bin\find.exe

C:\Windows\System32\find.exe

When I hacked the batch file to hard code: C:\Windows\System32\find.exe  in the command I mentioned, it did allow the batch script to verify that indeed I had 64 bit version of java installed.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: New unified installer - Does not want to start eclipse...
              KurtE

As I mentioned, the problem is in the find command...  So once I got beyond that, I thought I would now use the new Eclipse, so I pointed it to my workspace that I had setup with my own projects, where it first warned that this workspace was created by an earlier version of Eclipse and the conversion may make the old version now work...  I went ahead (did make a backup first).

I then tried a clean build, which now fails in all projects.  Example my Adriano support library:

07:26:10 **** Incremental Build of configuration Debug for project ArduinoSupport ****

make all

Building file: ../src/BioloidEX.cpp

Invoking: Cross G++ Compiler

i586-poky-linux-g++ -I.. -I"C:\Users\Kurt\iotdk-ide-win\From-Edison\include" -I"C:\Intel\iotdk-ide-win\/devkit-x86/sysroots/i586-poky-linux/usr/include/c++" -I"C:\Intel\iotdk-ide-win\/devkit-x86/sysroots/i586-poky-linux/usr/include" -I"C:\Intel\iotdk-ide-win\/devkit-x86/sysroots/i586-poky-linux/usr/include/c++/i586-poky-linux" -Os -g3 -Wall -MMD -MP -MF"src/BioloidEX.d" -MT"src/BioloidEX.d" -o "src/BioloidEX.o" "../src/BioloidEX.cpp"

c:/users/kurt/iotdk-ide-win/devkit-x86/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-mingw32/usr/bin/i586-poky-linux/../../libexec/i586-poky-linux/gcc/i586-poky-linux/4.8.2/ld.exe: cannot find crt1.o: No such file or directory

c:/users/kurt/iotdk-ide-win/devkit-x86/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-mingw32/usr/bin/i586-poky-linux/../../libexec/i586-poky-linux/gcc/i586-poky-linux/4.8.2/ld.exe: cannot find crti.o: No such file or directory

c:/users/kurt/iotdk-ide-win/devkit-x86/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-mingw32/usr/bin/i586-poky-linux/../../libexec/i586-poky-linux/gcc/i586-poky-linux/4.8.2/ld.exe: cannot find crtbegin.o: No such file or directory

c:/users/kurt/iotdk-ide-win/devkit-x86/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-mingw32/usr/bin/i586-poky-linux/../../libexec/i586-poky-linux/gcc/i586-poky-linux/4.8.2/ld.exe: cannot find -lstdc++

c:/users/kurt/iotdk-ide-win/devkit-x86/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-mingw32/usr/bin/i586-poky-linux/../../libexec/i586-poky-linux/gcc/i586-poky-linux/4.8.2/ld.exe: cannot find -lm

c:/users/kurt/iotdk-ide-win/devkit-x86/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-mingw32/usr/bin/i586-poky-linux/../../libexec/i586-poky-linux/gcc/i586-poky-linux/4.8.2/ld.exe: cannot find -lgcc_s

c:/users/kurt/iotdk-ide-win/devkit-x86/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-mingw32/usr/bin/i586-poky-linux/../../libexec/i586-poky-linux/gcc/i586-poky-linux/4.8.2/ld.exe: cannot find -lgcc

c:/users/kurt/iotdk-ide-win/devkit-x86/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-mingw32/usr/bin/i586-poky-linux/../../libexec/i586-poky-linux/gcc/i586-poky-linux/4.8.2/ld.exe: cannot find -lc

c:/users/kurt/iotdk-ide-win/devkit-x86/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-mingw32/usr/bin/i586-poky-linux/../../libexec/i586-poky-linux/gcc/i586-poky-linux/4.8.2/ld.exe: cannot find -lgcc_s

c:/users/kurt/iotdk-ide-win/devkit-x86/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-mingw32/usr/bin/i586-poky-linux/../../libexec/i586-poky-linux/gcc/i586-poky-linux/4.8.2/ld.exe: cannot find -lgcc

c:/users/kurt/iotdk-ide-win/devkit-x86/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-mingw32/usr/bin/i586-poky-linux/../../libexec/i586-poky-linux/gcc/i586-poky-linux/4.8.2/ld.exe: cannot find crtend.o: No such file or directory

c:/users/kurt/iotdk-ide-win/devkit-x86/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-mingw32/usr/bin/i586-poky-linux/../../libexec/i586-poky-linux/gcc/i586-poky-linux/4.8.2/ld.exe: cannot find crtn.o: No such file or directory

collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

make: *** [src/BioloidEX.o] Error 1

07:26:13 Build Finished (took 3s.27ms)

Note: this was an incremental build I showed here  Currently wondering if it is due to the changes in the launcher batch file, the old version did some extra defines:

set CFLAGS=--sysroot="${DEVKIT_HOME}\devkit-x86\sysroots\i586-poky-linux" -m32 -march=i586 -c -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections

set CXXFLAGS=--sysroot="${DEVKIT_HOME}\devkit-x86\sysroots\i586-poky-linux" -m32 -march=i586 -c -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections

set LDFLAGS=--sysroot="${DEVKIT_HOME}\devkit-x86\sysroots\i586-poky-linux"

Need to investigate...

• 4. Re: New unified installer - Does not want to start eclipse...
                KurtE

Not sure if good or bad, but adding those three lines

set CFLAGS=--sysroot="${DEVKIT_HOME}\devkit-x86\sysroots\i586-poky-linux" -m32 -march=i586 -c -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections

set CXXFLAGS=--sysroot="${DEVKIT_HOME}\devkit-x86\sysroots\i586-poky-linux" -m32 -march=i586 -c -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections

Appears to allow all of the projects to build again.  Not sure if that is the best answer or not.

• 5. Re: New unified installer - Does not want to start eclipse...
                  CMata_Intel

Hi KurtE

Yes, I was checking the batch files (old and new) and they are different. The versions actually are different so that it's the reason of the "..was created by an earlier version of Eclipse..." message.

The old one was a Kepler version SR2 and the new one is a Luna version SR1

I'm glad that now you are able to use your workspace as you want. Also, you can try to import and export the preferences of the workspace

Regards;

CMata

• 6. Re: New unified installer - Does not want to start eclipse...
                    Iron_Attorney

Hi kurt, thanks for pointing me over here for my Java issues!

So you say you hacked your batch file to change the find command. Could I ask how you did this?

And the problems you mentioned that resulted from doing so, was this purely because you had written eclipse code using the old batch file, or will I encounter the same problem with code I might write after doing so?

Pete

• 7. Re: New unified installer - Does not want to start eclipse...
                      KurtE

I changed the batch script, using a text editor, probably PN (programmers notepad), which was also installed by WinAVR (although I have a more recent version of PN installed).

Currently mine looks like:

@ECHO off

REM Check if Java is installed and if it is the right version
                      java -version:1.7+ -version >nul 2>&1

REM Java is not installed
                      IF ERRORLEVEL 9009 GOTO javaerror
                      REM Wrong Java version detected
                      IF ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO javaerror
                      GOTO javabitcheck

:javaerror
                      ECHO ERROR - Required Java version 1.7 or higher not found.
                      ECHO Please install Java 64-Bit from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

PAUSE
                      GOTO end

:javabitcheck
                      REM Check Java Bit-version
                      java -version 2>&1 | C:\Windows\System32\find.exe "64-Bit" >nul:
                      IF ERRORLEVEL 1 (
                          ECHO Detected Java 32-Bit. The Intel^(R^) IoT Developer Kit supports only Java 64-Bit.
                          ECHO Please install Java 64-Bit from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
                          PAUSE
                          GOTO end
                      )

set DEVKIT_HOME=%~dp0

set PATH=%PATH%;%DEVKIT_HOME%\devkit-x86\sysroots\x86_64-pokysdk-mingw32\usr\bin\i586-poky-linux;%DEVKIT_HOME%\iot-devkit\devkit-debugger
                      set POKY_HOME=%DEVKIT_HOME%\devkit-x86\sysroots\i586-poky-linux
                      REM Added from old one as a test
                      REM end of added.

START %DEVKIT_HOME%\eclipse-win\eclipse.exe

:end

The changes were I qualified the find.exe to be the windows version.

I also added the defines in from the earlier version of eclipse.  My quess is alternatively I could have instead added project parameters to find the default libraries.

• 8. Re: New unified installer - Does not want to start eclipse...
                        Iron_Attorney

Ok, I've made a copy and altered it to your new version, but I'm still getting the same errors.

Do I need to modify anything else for my own system? Maybe the paths in lines 31 to 36?

Or is there a way of pointing it directly to java without system32/find.exe?

• 9. Re: New unified installer - Does not want to start eclipse...
                          KurtE

First verify you have a valid version of Java.  Go to a command prompt and type:

java -version

on MIne I see:

C:\Users\Kurt>java -version

java version "1.8.0_31"

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.31-b07, mixed mode)

The script is supposed to be self contained.  That is it looks at the current directory and updates the path and commands based on that directory.  Did you use the Unified installer to install yours or did you do it by some other means?

• 10. Re: New unified installer - Does not want to start eclipse...
                            Iron_Attorney

Originally I installed everything seperately following online setup-guides. Nothing worked at all when I did that, and then I found the unified installer, so that's what I've done this time.

This is the result of my java version:

C:\Users\Invate>java -version

java version "1.8.0_31"

Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.31-b07, mixed mode, sharing)

So that is showing the original java that was already present, which I notice doesn't specifically say 64-bit. I have installed the latest 64bit version, which is 8.0.40, but the pc's clearly not recognising it as my version.

So I have to get my pc to recognise the new java somehow...  Or copy all the files from the new java into the original java folder to overwrite them?

• 11. Re: New unified installer - Does not want to start eclipse...
                              Iron_Attorney

I've just tried changing the name of the original java folder, and changing the name of my new 64bit java folder to the original folders name to see if it would just look in that folder instead. This really threw it! I got this error message instead...

C:\Users\Invate>java -version

Error: opening registry key 'Software\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment'

Error: could not find java.dll

Error: Could not find Java SE Runtime Environment.

No dice on that front. I guess it was never going to be that easy

• 12. Re: New unified installer - Does not want to start eclipse...
                                KurtE

My guess from this looks in your message 10 it found a 32 bit version of Java as it looks like the same output as I have except missing the 64...

If you undo what you did in message 11, What happens if you type: where java.exe

On my machine it responds: C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath\java.exe

If you get multiple hits, you may want to unload some of them.  Note: when I first tried on my machine (earlier version) I ran into issues.  Firefox complaining about security issue, so I used the update, which then asked if it should delete all other versions, I said yes... I then did a clean install again of Edison (at that time using their separate instructions) and it worked.

• 13. Re: New unified installer - Does not want to start eclipse...
                                  Iron_Attorney

Yep, mine responds with: C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath\java.exe aswell. I've looked there before, that's the file that's a link to the actual java directory isn't it. So does the machine locate java by looking at where the files in \javapath are pointing?

When I put the latest java on, I did it using the java installer, so I thought that would change my pc's settings to use the new java as default... i guess not.

Was it the java installer that asked to delete all other versions? Maybe I should try install it again to see if I come across that option.

• 14. Re: New unified installer - Does not want to start eclipse...
                                    Iron_Attorney

Huh! I just reinstalled the new java (8.0.40 64bit) from the very same installer that I downloaded originally. I'm not sure what the hell I might of done differently this time, as the install process only requires me to click next a bunch of times! But it's worked! I did java -version again after install and it's showing the new version.

More importantly though, eclipse has just opened for the first time!

Thank you muchly for your help kurt! You're a life saver

Pete