0 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2009 9:49 AM by Patrick10

RAID recovery?  Hopefully easy answer to problem

Patrick10

I have a DP35DP motherboard with on-board RAID - ICH9R.  One of the drives failed and, following Intel’s instructions, can’t seem to recovery my data.  This should be easy and I must be missing something.

RAID is V7.6 (BIOS level 0407) configured like this:

Port  Size    Type

0  298.1GB  Member(0,1)

1  298.1GB  Member(0,1)

2  465.8GB  Member(2)

3  465.8GB  Member(2)

RaidID  Volume  Level            Strip   Size

0      Vol0    R0 - Striping   128KB  100.0GB  Normal

1      Vol1    R1 - Mirror      n/a   248.1GB  Rebuild

2      Vol2    R1 - Mirror      n/a   465.8GB  Normal

The drive on port 0 failed.  (The system still sees it but it fails diagnostics.)

Odd thing: Raid Vol0 shows normal status

Good News: Vol2 is not affected and all data is OK

Problem: I can’t get the data from Vol1 and can’t boot the operating system (Windows Vista - 64bit) to perform the rebuild.  When I replace the drive on port 0, the status for Vol1 changes to Failed.

What I tried: Booting from the DVD to access the data.  This is how I recovered Vol2 data and some Vol1 data, but the system hangs.  When this didn’t work, I updated by BIOS to 0527 to get the latest RAID ROM version.  No improvement.

Big Question: How can I recover from this?  I thought I was well protected with RAID level 1, and very much want to retrieve my data.  Can you offer any suggestion?

I expected to lose Vol0 because of this (just the operating system and work files), but didn't expect to lose Vol1 too.  For future reference, did I configure the RAID setup poorly?

Thanks!