1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 3, 2015 8:52 AM by sylvia_intel

i7 4790k Disable Turbo Boost

xend

Hello, I have an i7 4790k in my computer at the current moment.

I have also disabled turbo boost.

I have a question, since the cpu is rated to run at 4.4GHz in turbo boost mode, would I void the warranty of the cpu if I overclocked it to 4.4 GHz manually?

• 1. Re: i7 4790k Disable Turbo Boost
          sylvia_intel

Hello Xend, it is important to understand first that processor over clocking is a practice that overstresses the unit; hence it could be expected to have problems sooner or later.

Even though the unlocked CPUs and the Intel® Extreme Edition Processors are more robust to handle over clocking, this practice will reduce the life time of the unit and will generate damages; that's why the warranty doesn't cover it.

We make unlocked and Extreme Edition Processors because there is a section of the computer market that likes doing that but they know this is a risk under their responsibility. Also there are OEM computer manufacturers that sell systems already over clocked from factory like Alienware and Northwest Falcon but they provide the warranty support if something goes wrong. We do provide recommendations for save overclocking but we provide as well a clear disclaimer about it. See the following web site and read the information at the bottom of the page:

Over clocking Intel® Processors: https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/overclocking/overclocking-intel-processors.html    

From our side, this is all the information I could provided you, but you might get a reply from another user with some recommendations.

Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU)   

Something, you may want to get is the Performance Tuning Protection Plan  http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/. This is an additional plan that a customer can purchase to cover processor failures caused by operating the eligible processor outside of Intel’s published specificationsFAQ's

Regards,