Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

PciE Half Mini Card vs M.2 2230, 1216

RMuni3
Beginner

Hi all,

I would like to replace my laptop Wifi single band card with a Dual band one.

After looking for viable products online I ended up going for the Intel 7265 AC one. My original card is a Centrino Wireless N-1000.

When comparing the two models in Ark (http://ark.intel.com/compare/59480,83635 http://ark.intel.com/compare/59480,83635 ) the only differences that is make me think the two card might not be compatible with each other is the form factor.

My current is a PCIe Half mini card, the 7265 is listed as M.2 2230, 1216.

Is the connector compatible between the two?

Does anyone know anything else that could break compatibility between the two card (e.g.: chipset, cpu model, etc..)

Thanks for the help,

Riccardo

0 Kudos
1 Solution
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello RiccardoM,

PCIe Half Mini Card and M.2 (NGFF) are in fact different board form factors. They use different connectors and each type of card requires a compatible slot in the system board.

If your PC has a PCIe HMC slot, the M.2 board will not fit in.

The Picture above shows a PCIe Half Mini Card and a M.2 (NGFF) board for comparison.

Even if both adapters used the same Form Factor, we would advise you to contact the manufacturer of your PC so they can let you know which Intel® Wireless adapters can be used in your computer.

Intel Wireless Adapters can only be installed by the manufacturer or its authorized representative.

Before a determined wireless adapter is used in a computer, it must comply with specific regulations, and other compatibility requirements. If these requirements are not met, the adapter may not operate correctly, or may not work at all; in some cases, installing these adapters in an unauthorized system may be illegal.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RMuni3
Beginner

To a more deep look at the ARK page, it is saying that the System Interface Type is PciE for both? Does this mean that the new would work on the old slot?

0 Kudos
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello RiccardoM,

PCIe Half Mini Card and M.2 (NGFF) are in fact different board form factors. They use different connectors and each type of card requires a compatible slot in the system board.

If your PC has a PCIe HMC slot, the M.2 board will not fit in.

The Picture above shows a PCIe Half Mini Card and a M.2 (NGFF) board for comparison.

Even if both adapters used the same Form Factor, we would advise you to contact the manufacturer of your PC so they can let you know which Intel® Wireless adapters can be used in your computer.

Intel Wireless Adapters can only be installed by the manufacturer or its authorized representative.

Before a determined wireless adapter is used in a computer, it must comply with specific regulations, and other compatibility requirements. If these requirements are not met, the adapter may not operate correctly, or may not work at all; in some cases, installing these adapters in an unauthorized system may be illegal.