8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2015 1:01 PM by CharlieATL

NUC 5425 making spinning noise

CharlieATL

All of a sudden, my NUC 5425 is making a noise akin to a hard drive spinning up.  Since there is obviously no HDD in a NUC, does anyone have a thought as to what this might be?

The device is mounted on its VESA bracket which is screwed into the back of a cabinet about 6 feet away with plenty of ventilation and the sound is very noticeable.  Here is the configuration:

Intel NUC D54250WYK

Intel Wireless N 7260 with Bluetooth (although the PC is connected to my router via Ethernet)

Samsung E 250GB 840EVO mSATA SSD

Crucial 8GB x 2 DDR3 1600 RAM

The NUC does not feel overly hot and is generally on 24x7 except for Windows 7 upgrades and such.  I upgraded BIOS and drivers when I assembled it 5 or 6 weeks ago.

• 1. Re: NUC 5425 making spinning noise
          Wolf666

The only moving part is the fan, no other could make audible noises. Check BIOS if your fan is spinning fast or you see high CPU loads, high temps. My NUC5i3RYH is silent...seems a fanless appliance.

• 2. Re: NUC 5425 making spinning noise
            CharlieATL

I suppose that the BIOS could have an update from Intel in the last 30 days or so.  I did get into visual BIOS but at the bottom it said network disconnected, so obviously when I clicked 'update BIOS' nothing occurred.  Can you tell me how to get into visual BIOS and have network connectivity?

To my original issue, the fan noise only occurs when I'm on line with a browser full of 6 or 7 tabs.

• 3. Re: NUC 5425 making spinning noise
              Wolf666

Also my BIOS shows "network disconnected". I have updated the BIOS only once, via USB stick.

• 4. Re: NUC 5425 making spinning noise
                CharlieATL

OK, I see.  I have to somehow determine the BIOS version number on my machine, the locate the proper BIOS on Intel's website, see if it is a later version number, and if so, download it to a USB stick.  Then, go into BIOS update and update from the USB stick.  I can do that.  Thanks.

• 5. Re: NUC 5425 making spinning noise
                  CharlieATL

Having read the release notes and the readme file, as directed by Intel at the download page, I now question whether to proceed or not.  There appears to be a newer BIOS version than what I have, but there are repeated cautions against updating the BIOS unless the update addresses a specific problem.  Nowhere in the release notes for the newer BIOS do I see anything about the fan spinning excessively.

Perhaps an Intel person could address this.

FYI Wolf666, there is an option for updating BIOS from Windows, and Intel says that is the most common method.  And as an aside, I can't see the resource monitor when running Windows normally, it just comes up as a vague shell, with no content.  When I boot into safe mode, I can see it.  I tried msconfig to load only essential things, but still could not see the resmon. 

• 6. Re: NUC 5425 making spinning noise
                    Wolf666

I used F7 option since I don't have win installed but openELEC (running Arch Linux from a USB stick as well). F7 option is the recovery one, pretty safe indeed.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: NUC 5425 making spinning noise
                      kevin_intel

Hello CharlieATL,

There are different methods to update the BIOS. Here you have some examples:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-022312.htm

Using the F7 method is the best way to go as Wolf666 mentioned before.

• 8. Re: NUC 5425 making spinning noise
                        CharlieATL

Hi Kevin, thanks for the link.  I have no problem using the F7 method, I just cited the Windows method based upon content on the Intel website.  My larger concern is the very first bullet caution: "Update the BIOS on your computer only if the newer BIOS version specifically solves a problem you have. Intel does not recommend BIOS updates for computers that do not need it. You can view all new BIOS fixes in the release notes included on the BIOS download page in Download Center."  I looked at all of the release notes and unless I'm overlooking or misunderstanding something, I don't see anything addressing my issue as something that will be changed in the BIOS.

I can add some more information though.  The fan issue appears only when I have two browsers open, each with a half-dozen tabs that are open.  I use Mozilla and Chrome.  My theory is that perhaps I'm taxing the video circuitry on the mobo too much.  Separate GPUs usually have dedicated fans since they frequently have >1GB of dedicated RAM and the NUC doesn't have such.  Since I'm not performing heavy CAD or video applications, could this be what is causing the fan to crank up so much?

I'm going to await updating the BIOS until I hear back that you feel that I should do so.  While I'm generally of the mind - and practice - that it is always best to run with the latest BIOS, firmware and OS updates, Intel's advisory against updating the BIOS kind of sticks in my mind.