3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2015 8:35 AM by CMata_Intel

SPI Pins on Mini Breakout

postITnote

Hello to all,

Currently I am working with the mini breakout and programming using Eclipse and C++. I am attempting to upload the lpd8806 led strip example and believe I may have the pins incorrectly identified on the mini breakout board or am understanding the code incorrectly.

In the example code, taken from Github it seems that the SPI buss is activated. I've hooked the DI pad on the LED strip to J17 - 12, which I've identified as the TXD/MOSI pin on the breakout. The CI pad on the LED strip is connected to J17-11, which I've identified as the CLK pin. I also have a relay set up with the strip to give it 5v and 1A, so power is hooked up to the common pin on that and it's grounded.

I've managed to upload the program to Edison's root directory, while it's plugged in to the computer through USB I've checked the pins with my multimeter and do not see a voltage output.

There have been and probably will be many other items I can problem solve on my own, but I would like at least like to confirm that I'm identifying the SPI pins correctly that the strip should be hooked to. Here they are again.

DI pad on the LED strip to J17 - 12, which I've identified as the TXD/MOSI

CI pad on the LED strip is connected to J17-11, which I've identified as the CLK pin

Has anyone be successful in using these pins as such?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: SPI Pins on Mini Breakout
          CMata_Intel

Hi postITnote

The best way to check the pins is using the Hardware Guide for the Breakout board

MOSI: J17 - pin 12

MISO: J18 - pin 11

SCLK: J17 - pin 11

EN:     J17 - pin 10

I'm not familiar with the sensor, are you using this one?

Regards;

CMata

• 2. Re: SPI Pins on Mini Breakout
            postITnote

Thanks Cmata,

That's where I have been referencing from, however I'm not used to the 4 wire connection pins being called what is listed on the Hardware Guide and saw that there were two SSPs, so I wanted to double check to rule out any misunderstanding I may have had reading the guide. Thanks for the clarification!

Yes! That is the LED strip that I am using with the example code. I'll be using them with confidence now and will need to look elsewhere for the problem.

• 3. Re: SPI Pins on Mini Breakout
              CMata_Intel

Hi postITnote ;

Yes there are two SSP: SSP5 for SPI and SSP2 for I2S.

Remember that the voltage output of the Edison using the mini-breakout board is 1.8V so you may need to use a voltage translator to interact with 5V in the strip.

If you have more questions don't hesitate to ask, the community is full of helpful people with awesome ideas and suggestions so if you have more doubts about other topics...open a new thread and we will help you with it.

Kind Regards;

CMata