5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2015 4:18 PM by Vargo

Accidentally I delete a driver file, how to undelete?

hss

[0]My Edison image is “edison-image-rel1-maint-rel1-ww42-14”.

[1] Accidentally I delete a deriver file:

“/lib/modules/3.10.17-poky-edison+/kernel/drivers/usb/gadget/u_serial.ko”

[2]And after reboot there is a fail message:

[FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.

See 'systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service' for details.

[3]I want to recover it by ota, but my computer cannot find the removable disk by the edison.(My computer can find another edison board’s removable disk when plug it in the computer).

[4] I want copy the file from a right edison to the path, and edison shows “no free space” and cannot copy, and only make a empty file(size is zero.)

[5]I can copy the file to home directory, and make a soft link to /lib/modules/…(cannot make a hard link for they are in different disk). And still cannot find the removable disk.

[6]I press key to interupt boot sequence, and “run do_ota”,edison said not find some file , cannot do ota.

How can I do next?

• 1. Re: Accidentally I delete a driver file, how to undelete?
          Intel_Peter

Hello hss,

There's one method to recover your Edison's frimware but it will erase all data on the Edison, this is the flashall method. Since your computer doesn't recognize your board you will have to do a couple of steps more.

Take a look at this thread: xFSTK flashall.sh --recovery 64-bit Ubuntu Works

In that thread the user TomWoehlke describes the steps needed to perform this recovery method, to sum up you need:

1. Install Intel xFSTK Downloader - Browse Files at SourceForge.net

2. Install dfu-util Homepage

3. run flashall.sh --recovery (so your computer will recognize the Edison)

4. run flashall.sh

There are more detailed instructions on how to do this on the thread above.

Peter.

• 2. Re: Accidentally I delete a driver file, how to undelete?
            David_J_Hunt

In this instance you do not need the xFSTK step. The device is recognised, just no mass storage available

You also do not need the flashall.sh --recovery step.

So, install dfu-util on your host.

Run flashall.sh on the host, connect the edison, and allow the flashing to proceed.

WARNING: This will erase everything on your Edison... and replace it with a fresh install of the OS.

Rgds,

Dave.

• 3. Re: Accidentally I delete a driver file, how to undelete?
              hss

I install a ubuntu and try the steps to install and compile xfstk, dfu-util, but found it is very difficute to me (a windows user). so I search the dfu-util.exe, want to using the file "flashall.bat“ to flash edison in windows. But I cannot find the a compiled dfu-util.exe (the web site dfu-util Homepage is now empty?, not accessable?)。

after a long time trying, I gave up, and find a new way to recover the edison.

For my edison can bootup, and working almost fine. so I find a way to access the removable disk when plug in computer in edison linux system.(Access Edison mass-storage from within Edison), and copy the image file to it in edison linux system. and "reboot ota". It work fine.

The system can boot with no error. but my computer still cannot find the edison board's mass-storage. very strange.

• 4. Re: Accidentally I delete a driver file, how to undelete?
                hss

thank you very much. I use a apt-get to install a dfu-util(version 0.5) in ubuntu, and using "flashall.sh", (not --recovery), and the program cannot find my edison. the message suggest to using "--recovery" option and install xfstk.

but when I recover my edison finally, still can not access mass-storage, so this may have some fault with my board. If my board is ok, may can recover it by "flashall.sh".

• 5. Re: Accidentally I delete a driver file, how to undelete?
                  Vargo

The recommended solution in this thread did not work for me: probably because the --recovery option is not supported on a mac.

Instead I directly prepared the firmware on the Edison and rebooted with the firmware flash procedure.

This should really be in the troubleshooting guide.

Flashing Intel Edison using only serial connection and wifi

Credits to skvark:

---------

Do this at your own risk. I take no responsibility for any damage caused to your board.

My Intel Edison was shipped to me with old and buggy version of the Yocto Linux image. I purchased only the console block via Sparkfun (which has only one USB port connected to UART2 (serial connection) of the Edison therefore it's not connected to the actual USB on Edison) so I could not update to a new build the normal way.

I assume you have successfully connected to the Edison via the serial connection and can use the linux console on Edison.

1. Connect the Edison into a local WiFi network with configure_edison --wifi
                  2. Check that you can access to the Edison via SSH or with browser
                    • if you can't, vi /etc/systemd/system/basic.target.wants/network-gadget-init.serviceand change the ip addresses to i.e 192.168.99.15
                  3. On Edison, cd /
                  4. mkdir update
                  5. mkfs.vfat -F32 -I /dev/mmcblk0p9 (mmcblk0p9 is the partition which will contain the new FW files, command formats it to FAT32)
                  6. mount -t vfat /dev/mmcblk0p9 /update/ (mount the partition to the /update)
                  7. Connect to the Edison i.e. with FileZilla and move the update .zip file (can be found from Intel www site) to the /update folder on Edison
                  8. cd /update
                  9. mkdir temp
                  10. unzip update_file.zip -d temp
                  11. rm update_file.zip
                  12. mv temp/ota_update.scr . (ota_update.scr must be first in the folder hence this)
                  13. mv temp/* .
                  14. rm -rf temp
                  15. reboot ota

If everything is fine, Edison should now boot and start the upgrade process automatically. It takes couple of minutes and after that you have more robust version of the Yocto image up and running. I recommend running configure_edison --setup after the update process.

1 of 1 people found this helpful