8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2015 4:40 AM by Malay_soni

modprobe uvcvideo fails

Browndav

I have a Logitech C310 (and C270) webcam connected to my Edison Breakout board (large one with arduino header).  Tiny switch is towards the USB-A header.

I configured AlexTs repo, and installed:

opgk install kernel-module-uvcvideo

opkg install opencv-dev

opkg install opencv-staticdev

opkg install fswebcam

but now when I run modprobe uvcvideo, I get modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'uvcvideo': Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

lsusb shows the webcam

ls /dev does not have video0

When I first installed kernel-module-uvcvideo, I got an error about running out of space.  I removed the journal files (and limited their size), then eventually did a --force-reinstall, but I still don't have a /uvcvideo under /lib/modules (am I supposed to?)

I was able to compile and run the "I'm blind/I can see" program, so that's all working, I just don't have a video0 device to read from.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Edit: running off a 12v DC power supply.  Edison flashed to the stock ww05-15 image.  Found many threads talking about modprobe, but nothing with how to fix my exact issue.  I'm a linux n00b.

edit2: just ran an opkg upgrade kernel-module-uvcvideo, and nothing changed.

edit3: Added the verbose option to modprobe:

root@Edison1:~# modprobe -v uvcvideo

insmod /lib/modules/3.10.17-poky-edison+/kernel/drivers/media/usb/uvc/uvcvideo.ko

modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'uvcvideo': Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

edit 3.1: finally figured out (lol) how to navigate folders, and I don't have the /uvc folder bolded above.

edit 4: find -iname uvc

./lib/modules/3.10.17-yocto-standard/kernel/drivers/media/usb/uvc

So, something got put in the wrong place, or modprobe is looking in the wrong place? (/yocto-standard/ vs. /poky-edison/)

edit5: cp -r to copy the missing folder from /yocto-standard to /poky-edison, then ran modprobe.  It appears it still wants to be under -standard, and not poky-edison

[ 2117.688821] uvcvideo: version magic '3.10.17-yocto-standard SMP preempt mod_unload ATOM ' should be '3.10.17-poky-edison+ SMP preempt mod_unload ATOM '

modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'uvcvideo': Exec format error