4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2015 8:21 PM by Frederick Blais

fresh ubilinux modules for usb audio and uvc video - ww42+ compatible

tintar

(edit: also, this is like 99% thanks to Niise's MPD post Intel Edison mini breakout board w/ MPD /edit)

no need to build your own kernel, or try to gank the driver objects from yocto (and then have to switch back to yocto kernel and all of its kobjects)

took some messing around but finally figured out where config_localversion really lives. and so here are 2 archives, one is for snd-usb-audio and all object dependencies, and the other is for uvcvideo along with all of its v4l dependencies. these driver modules are versioned as 3.10.17-poky-edison-ww42+, so they work just fine with ubilinux' current kernel. (i.e. no vermagic/modversion harassments...)

just unpack whichever archive (attached) you like, and then the configuration/application/software is up to you.

$ cd /lib/modules/3.10.17-poky-edison-ww42+/kernel/

$ sudo tar xzf ~/sound.tgz

$ sudo tar xzf ~/uvc.tgz

$ sudo depmod -a

using only an OTG cable, powered only by the Edison OTG port, my generic c-media stereo+mic worked fine, as did a cheap uvc webcam.

(edit2-obvious: if you're planning to run programs or access as a non-root user, good idea to add that user to :audio and :video groups. /edit2)

NB: due to some default loopback audio devices the Edison has, I had to specify (either in ~/.asoundrc or in system-wide asound settings) the following:

pcm.!default {

type plug

slave {

pcm "hw:1,0"

}

}

ctl.!default {

type hw

card 1

}

(or it could probably also be fixed in the card indexing/enumeration options at module load time. either way.)

• 1. Re: fresh ubilinux modules for usb audio and uvc video - ww42+ compatible
          Tim_LHUILLIER

I install your files in my edison but where I write this code ? And what is it, exactly ?

pcm.!default {
            type plug
            slave {
              pcm "hw:1,0"
            }
          }
          ctl.!default {
            type hw
            card 1
          }

Why I can't use my usb port (Arduino board) because if i connect my DAC with otg port but Huston, i have a problem : "unable to initialize libusb: -99".

How i verify if the module is correctly installed ?

Thanks

• 2. Re: fresh ubilinux modules for usb audio and uvc video - ww42+ compatible
            tintar

... la vache, man, ... n'pas etre sort d l auberge

cou d main?

ok. unzip (well, ok, tar xzf) the archive, you probably did that already. +depmod.

plug in your device of choice, the driver/object should simply load at this point.

How i verify if the module is correctly installed ?

check in lsmod if snd-audio-usb?

but -

"unable to initialize libusb: -99" is the eternal Edison problem - SoC module does not think it has sufficient power-source, therefore it disables certain OTG/gadget activities.

the extra code, well, depends on how you plan on using / software, the usb audio. (mainly it sez "this specific user prefers to use this particular device for audio i/o")

I put it in /home/myusername/.asoundrc

but for others it could be different.

• 3. Re: fresh ubilinux modules for usb audio and uvc video - ww42+ compatible
              Tim_LHUILLIER

Sorry i'm a noob in embedded system

I reflash my edison with ublinux for new try your solution. But i think that it's not working at me

root@ubilinux:~# lsmod
              Module                  Size  Used by
              usb_f_acm              14335  1
              u_serial               18582  6 usb_f_acm
              g_multi                70703  0
              libcomposite           39245  2 usb_f_acm,g_multi
              bcm_bt_lpm             13676  0
              bcm4334x              578947  0
              root@ubilinux:~# cd /lib/modules/3.10.17-poky-edison-ww42+/kernel/
              root@ubilinux:/lib/modules/3.10.17-poky-edison-ww42+/kernel# tar xzf ~/sound.tgz
              root@ubilinux:/lib/modules/3.10.17-poky-edison-ww42+/kernel# depmod -a
              root@ubilinux:/lib/modules/3.10.17-poky-edison-ww42+/kernel# lsmod
              Module                  Size  Used by
              usb_f_acm              14335  1
              u_serial               18582  6 usb_f_acm
              g_multi                70703  0
              libcomposite           39245  2 usb_f_acm,g_multi
              bcm_bt_lpm             13676  0
              bcm4334x              578947  0

And i don't know, why. (sorry man, promis je vais sortir de l'auberge )

Edit 1 : Sorry, sorry sorry beautiful man, we must reboot own edison ... the ++ is that it's working with usb port of arduino board

Thanks thanks you save my life. And "Vive l'auberge

• 4. Re: fresh ubilinux modules for usb audio and uvc video - ww42+ compatible
                Frederick Blais

tintar wrote:

... la vache, man, ... n'pas etre sort d l auberge

cou d main?

... la vache mon gars, ... tu n'es pas sorti de l'auberge

Tu veux un coup de main?