3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2015 1:33 PM by Intel_Peter

What to do with Yocto Edison build files once complete

Nephos6

I am trying to learn how to use Yocto. After a successful build of an Intel Edison image, I see all the files in the output directory, but I don't know where to go from here. There does not seem to be any documentation on next steps anywhere either. Can someone please point me in the right next direction?

Here is the output after the successful Yocto Intel Edison image build:

Capture.PNG

I'm confused because none of the files seem to match up with what you normally drop in the Edison storage. Just a little confused on what is needed (All, just one image, some files, etc?) and where to drop them in order to flash the Edison. Intel's documentation is still lacking quite a bit.

Thanks for the help

• 1. Re: What to do with Yocto Edison build files once complete
          Intel_Peter

Hello Nephos6,

Once you're image has finished, images to flash are stored in the edison-src/build/tmp/deploy/images directory (which is where you are in the screenshot). Now run this script: ./edison-src/device-software/utils/flash/postBuild.sh and all files created in this directory after running the script are those you have to put in the Edison's memory to flash your image.

Peter.

• 2. Re: What to do with Yocto Edison build files once complete
            Nephos6

Thanks Peter,

Ok so I went ahead and connected the Edison and copied all those files over. I found a little more documentation now with the information you provided. It seems like the way most of these documents are wording the instructions, it wants you to run the flashall command on the same device where you created the Yocto build. That doesn't seem right? I setup a completely separate system with plenty of processing power to build the image. Now I want to copy the built image over to the Edison. In the past, I have used the prebuilt Edison Yocto image. I attach the Edison to a PC (Windows in this case) and copy all the files over to the Edison. In the past I was then consoling into the Edison and issuing the "reboot ota" command. I will need to look into how to access these files on the Edison so I can run the flash all script. I assume they are just mounted under some point in the file system. Will do some more research myself, but also looking forward to hearing back from you again once more. Thanks for your help!

• 3. Re: What to do with Yocto Edison build files once complete
              Intel_Peter

Hi Nephos6,

Sorry for the delay in my response, let me see if I understood your question correctly, you want:

a) to know if there is a way to flash the Edison on another system using flashall.

Yes, you can flash on other systems as long as you copy all the files under the folder named "to flash". (Edit: you'll also need dfu-util for this)

b) to know if there is a way to flash the Edison using the reboot ota method.

Yes, all you need to do is to copy all files under the folder named "to flash" to your Edison's internal memory and then you can flash your Edison with the reboot ota method.

Please correct me if I didn't get it right.

Peter.