1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 21, 2015 7:17 AM by ChristophGER

Successfully Install ROS Indigo on Edison (and not run out of rootfs space)

jeff_nxt

I've attempted to install ROS on the Edison and have been continually finding that the Edison quickly runs out of space during the installation. In case anyone has been battling this as well, here are the preparatory steps and documentation for a successful installation and enough free space remaining so you can actually use the system:

• flash Ubilinux onto the Edison (since the instructions are in reference to installing ROS Indigo on Debian Wheezy)
      • depending on the Edison expansion board, mount a microsd card (and make the appropriate fstab entry)
      • move /var/cache/apt to a location on the mounted microsd card
      • create a symlink similar to this: /var/cache/apt -> /mnt/microsd/apt (this immediately freed up over 100MB and will more than double in size during the installation process)
      • follow the setup instructions here "Installing ROS Indigo on Intel Edison": http://wiki.ros.org/wiki/edison
      • the above link will have you wrap up your installation here "ROSBerryPi / Installing ROS Indigo on the Raspberry Pi": http://wiki.ros.org/ROSberryPi/Installing%20ROS%20Indigo%20on%20Raspberry%20Pi
      • NOTE: the above link provides excellent and well-detailed instructions. Read them closely and you should end up with a successful installation.
      • At the end of the installation, the symlinked /var/cache/apt is holding 211MB of files. Yes, you can delete them, but that's a bear when you're in the middle of a very lengthy installation process.
      • I decided to place /opt/ros/indigo on the microsd card as well and use symlinks to point to the real location. That freed up about another 17MB of space.

At the end of the installation (this time) I ended up with 253MB free on the (rootfs) / file system and 1.1GB free on the /home file system. That's more than enough to work with especially since images, video, LIDAR maps, etc will be on the microsd card and not the local FS in case I need to move data to a different system.

I think that's it for now, but I'll continue to update this post in case there are any changes.

Jeff