6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2015 2:10 PM by JPMontero_Intel

Detailed SPI Flash Layout Spec

m_karas

Where can I find the detailed layout for the SPI Flash that attaches to the Quark X1000. I would need the layout including the definition of the flask block assignment and the content of the flash control block and definition of the Soft Strap settings.

Michael Karas

• 1. Re: Detailed SPI Flash Layout Spec
          JPMontero_Intel

Hi m_karas,

The document that includes detailed information on blocks is Intel® Quark™ SoC — X1000 Datasheet. I’d suggest you to check section 21. You can find all the available Quark documents in this site under the title Intel® QuarkTM System on Chip (SoC). I hope you find this helpful.

Regards,
          JPMontero_Intel

• 2. Re: Detailed SPI Flash Layout Spec
            m_karas

Hi JPMontero_Intel.

The information I am looking for is the layout of the data actually programmed into the SPI flash. It's control block and strap data section. Also where does the bootable code start. The section 21 of the Quark Data Sheet for the LEGACY SPI CONTROLLER only lists out registers resident in the controller section. Those registers are used to access the SPI Flash, not determine the actual required content of the Flash chip itself.

Maybe I misunderstand something here. If so help to clarify.

Michael Karas

• 3. Re: Detailed SPI Flash Layout Spec
              JPMontero_Intel

Hi m_karas,

Let me investigate further into this. I’ll let you know as soon as I found something that might help you.

Regards,
              JPMontero_Intel

• 4. Re: Detailed SPI Flash Layout Spec
                JPMontero_Intel

Hi m_karas,

I just wanted to let you know I’m still investigating on this, but I’d like to know which board you are using. Are you using a Galileo board, Crosshill, a custom board?

Regards,
                JPMontero_Intel

• 5. Re: Detailed SPI Flash Layout Spec
                  m_karas

Hello JP_Montero,

I am working with a Galileo Board and a Galileo Board clone that I have built.

Michael Karas

• 6. Re: Detailed SPI Flash Layout Spec
                    JPMontero_Intel

Hi m_karas,

I got this code (see attached files) for Crosshill (which also have a Quark), it reads the memory to get the MAC address written in the memory, I tested a pre-compiled version for Windriver which is based in eglibc in the Galileo board and it worked as well. I tested it with the IoT image which is a Yocto image in eglibc too. What might be useful to you is the library used for system analysis and memory (samstuff.c, samstuff.h). This library include some routines to read and write in Memory, please check them out and let me know if this is what you are looking for. I also attached the code I tested in c called memread, I attached this code so you can write your own to read the memory, it can give you some guidance on how these functions work. Once you have written the code you need to cross compile it, If you are using Yocto and Galileo you can use the Toolchain to do this, you can find the link in here. If you are using another board, with Yocto or Windriver you need to create the SDK to cross compile it in your computer by using the BSP, and you might also need to install some additional libraries. I hope you find this helpful.

Regards,
                    JPMontero_Intel

1 of 1 people found this helpful