2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2015 7:29 PM by KB2806

Can't install chipset update after reinstall of Windows 7

KB2806

I am using the Intel Driver Update Utility and it's telling me that I need to update my driver from 8.15.10.1930 to 15.12.75.4.1930. I have downloaded the zip file and when I go to install it just says that it failed. It doesn't give a reason. I have tried to disable my firewall as well as disabling my HP printer. I have attached the Intel Dx that said everything was fine. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I just reinstalled Windows 7 Enterprise on my computer due to multiple driver issues after a Windows Update.

• 1. Re: Can't install chipset update after reinstall of Windows 7
          sylvia_intel

Hello KB2806, thanks for joining Intel community.

I would like to inform you that the system is not able to update the driver since it looks like it already has the latest version available installed.

In our site the driver version 15.12.75.4.1930 is the latest version available for the  G33/G31 Express Chipset.

Usually OEM systems do not allow the installation of our drivers since they are generic. OEMs make a lot of customizations to the drivers and the installation of Intel’s drivers could overwrite those customizations. Therefore it will affect your system.

I found these articles that contain additional information on graphics drivers, but they explain the reason why the same driver has a different number. Graphics Drivers — Identifying Your Graphics Driver Version

Graphics Drivers — Understanding The Intel® Graphics Driver Version Number

Regards,

• 2. Re: Can't install chipset update after reinstall of Windows 7
            KB2806

sylvia_intel wrote:

Hello KB2806, thanks for joining Intel community.

I would like to inform you that the system is not able to update the driver since it looks like it already has the latest version available installed.

In our site the driver version 15.12.75.4.1930 is the latest version available for the  G33/G31 Express Chipset.

Usually OEM systems do not allow the installation of our drivers since they are generic. OEMs make a lot of customizations to the drivers and the installation of Intel’s drivers could overwrite those customizations. Therefore it will affect your system.

I found these articles that contain additional information on graphics drivers, but they explain the reason why the same driver has a different number. Graphics Drivers — Identifying Your Graphics Driver Version

Graphics Drivers — Understanding The Intel® Graphics Driver Version Number

Regards,

"...it looks like it already has the latest version available installed."

I just want to make sure I understand this. My version is listed as 8.14.10.1930. So are you saying that this is the same as 15.12.75.4.1930? I'm just curious because when I go to the System information, it also says that my OS is Windows 7 Ultimate and I have Enterprise. I don't know if this affects anything. But thanks for the information. I do have one more question though. I recently had to wipe out my hard drive and I re-installed Windows 7 Enterprise and everything else all over again. I'm not sure if that would've also reset any customization that was done to the drivers. I do know that my computer is completely different. Although this is an OEM system with Enterprise, I use this computer for my home business and it is not attached to any network. My knowledge of all this is pretty immature though, so the fact that I wiped out my hard drive might be completely irrelevant and I just hope I'm not wasting your time. But any clarification would be appreciated considering that every time I run windows system health report it comes up that I need to update my driver.