6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2015 7:14 AM by xthunderheartx

Building the IOTDK SD Image

xthunderheartx

If I wanted to build the IOTDK SD image from scratch, how would I go about it?  I finally have a Ubuntu 12.04 VM what will bitbake a 1.0.4 image from the github repo.  How much does one built under target 'image-full-galileo' differ from the one mhahn built for the IOTDK (which I'm using with success currently)?  Is there anything I can build from the github tarball (https://github.com/01org/Galileo-Runtime/archive/1.0.4.tar.gz) that is close the the IOTDK image?

The reason I'm asking is that our project is actually intended for a commercial product and we need to be able to reproduce any load we send to the field from source.  Just keeping the binary around isn't sufficient.

Thanx,

Dallas

• 1. Re: Building the IOTDK SD Image
          mhahn

The eglibc based image for Intel(R) Galileo you are referring to can be bitbaked from scratch out of meta-intel-iot-devkit - Intel IoT Developer Kit metadata. It's version controlled there so shouldn't be a problem reading your specifications

Targetting a commercial product you might also be interested in an Intel IoT Gateway solution with Windriver OS and McAfee security. See e.g.

Intel Development Boards & Kits - x86 | Mouser

"DK50" is essentially Galileo hardware. DK200 adds some more interfaces ...

• 2. Re: Building the IOTDK SD Image
            xthunderheartx

Thanx for the answer Matthias.  Quick question though.  How does the aforementioned repo relate to djdeath/yocto-iot · GitHub?  Reason I ask is I cloned the repo you suggest and then read your post here: Some hints on Yocto builds for IoT devkit - example: adding Java JRE | Intel® Developer Zone.  The script you suggest to setup the build environment (meta-intel-iot-devkit) did show up in the cloned repo but I did a quick search and found it under djdeath on github.  Should I use that one?

Thanx,

Dallas

• 3. Re: Building the IOTDK SD Image
              mhahn

Everybody is free to clone from meta-intel-iot-devkit - Intel IoT Developer Kit metadata. A quick look on your link indicates that it's probably an old clone about 1y ago. My post also hasn't been updated since it was written about 1y ago. So it might be dated. However, I don't know which script you are referring to? meta-intel-iot-devkit is a bitbake layer and not a script.

On meta-intel-iot-devkit - Intel IoT Developer Kit metadata the latest version should be the master branch. arfoll can you confirm?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Building the IOTDK SD Image
                xthunderheartx

OOPS!  Sorry, I meant  ${YBR}/iot-devkit-init-build-env, where YBR = meta-intel-iot-devkit. The bitbake build environment script.  So like I said I didn't see that file anywhere in meta-intel-iot-devkit - Intel IoT Developer Kit metadata but I did find it (via google) in djdeath/yocto-iot · GitHub.  The one I found there was obviously a modified version of oe-init-build-env from the standard poky distribution. When I sourced it however it failed.

In any event I obviously need to better educate myself on the Yocto environment which I am doing now.  It wasn't even clear to me where meta-intel-iot-devkit fit into the model, though a little light is starting to peek into my skull.

I try to keep my questions simple so that folks like yourself don't have to spend too much time on them, but this one got out of hand.  This all started when I needed to figure out how to set up Wifi Direct using connman.  It looks to me like the version of connman in the IOTDK image is an early release, possibly before support for Wifi Direct was added. It seemed like Yocto was the place to start for upgrading connman and maybe rolling in other updates (like libmraa) at the same time.  I was hoping that would be a chimp mode process (mon-kiegh see, mon-kiegh do) but apparently it requires a little more effort.  Anyway I don't expect you to explain Yocto to me so I'll go figure that out.  In the mean time I do appreciate any direction/hints you can provide.

Thanx,

Dallas

• 5. Re: Building the IOTDK SD Image
                  arfoll

To rebuild the images available currently you need to checkout devkit-daisy-1.6.1 branch of meta-intel-iot-devkit.

What's in master is our new split repo structure which will essentially build the same thing but you'll have to clone everything seperately. Layer dependencies are listed in the README, but essentially clone poky and then add the layers on top. The other change is you have to use wic_monkey to generate the image. We haven't released the binaries for the master branch so I've not got nice build instructions, I'm still cleaning it up, but it's nearly ready to go .

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Building the IOTDK SD Image
                    xthunderheartx

It sounds like there may be a new release of the image coming.  If so I'll wait for that before pursuing further.