Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4808 Discussions

Nothing but problems with Intel pro 1000 mt, teaming, etc

roury
Beginner

[rant on]

First off the Intel drivers are the dumbest thing I can imagine. They won't upgrade, they won't uninstall the old junk and they won't work. Yes, it's a 10yr old machine and the drivers stopped being able to be upgraded 5 yrs ago and it's been a PITA ever since Intel screwed up these drivers.

Long story short, it's been about 5 years I've been hacking at this junk from time to time. It used to be two mirrored servers that worked great, at one point I attacked the main server's nic driver problem and fouled it up so badly it never ran again. After much hacking the secondary machine became the primary and only and it's NEVER had teaming working again. Single nic, mediocre performance.

I've got a new server (thankfully without an Intel Nic) that's running great, but it's time the old dog got some work and get this stupid driver fixed.

FINALLY, today I find where I can MSIZAP the old trash out. Install the latest drivers.

Team this crap together and what the freak do you know but teaming fails?

Team the adaptors together and set the static ip and darned if the stupid thing says 'access to local only'

AGGGGGGGG.

Delete the team and it's still FUBAR

I cannot believe that these intel drivers have gotten this bad. Used to be they were super, but now they suck and are increably hard to get configured.

Anyway, rant over.

System is a win server 2008 32 bit with two INTEL Pro/1000 MT dual port nics.

Windoze is up to date, upgraded from 2003 which had the same freeking problem.

Only way I can get it to connect is to enable DHCP, which of course defeats the purpose of having a !SERVER! in the first place.

I'm ready to push thing thing out into the swimming pool at this point.

I cannot freekin believe how bad this problem has been to resolve...uhhhh, not resolve that is.

GRRRRR.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. {sorry for the rant, but seriously Intel, why so freekin bollixed up?}

0 Kudos
8 Replies
roury
Beginner

I at least got it back on it's correct ip address by setting up a reservation in dhcp, but that ain't right...

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi MonsterMaxx1,

We do not have PROSet software that is used for teaming for Intel PRO 1000 MT dual port adapter in Windows 2008, there is only built-in driver provided by Microsoft for this network adapter. You can refer to this website for reference:

http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/CS-030614.htm Network Connectivity — Is My Intel® Ethernet Adapter Supported in Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2*?

rgds,

wb

roury
Beginner

That's weird because by installing either the 19.5 driver or the 18.4 driver I get teaming.

I can configure a team.

All works except the connection will NOT accept a static IP address, nor will the team work consistently, though it claims it's connected to the internet. One minute it's working and connected, responding to pin, allowing file transfer, then the next minute it's down.

Nic won't take a static IP with w/o the team either so I think it's a fundamental problem.

Whatever it is, I do not believe it's a lack of support on this item. I think it's screwy drivers.

I will also note that this machine had the 'old' un-upgradable and un-uninstallable drivers in it that had to be hacked out. It's possible I regedited something I shouldn't have - though I did follow the Intel directions.

At this point I've tried

0 Kudos
roury
Beginner

I'm currently uninstalling all the intel stuff, will purge out whatever I can, reboot and start over w/ the 18.4 drivers. See if maybe this problem can be resolved somehow.

0 Kudos
roury
Beginner

typo, that should be 18.5 drivers

0 Kudos
roury
Beginner

Now running 17.4 drivers.

Turns out all this hoopla was because adaptive load balancing does not work.

Set to Fault Tolerance and it works. Even static IP works. Unfortunately this does nothing for performance.

Static Link Aggregation also fails is flaky. One second it's responding to ping, the next it's not.

IEEE dynamic link aggregation also fails.

So I guess teaming is fault tolerance or nothing.

GRRRRR

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

HI MonsterMaxx1,

The teaming may or may not be possible, as mentioned in our FAQ " This depends on the selected ANS functions enabled in the team. Because there are a number of possible combinations, and they change constantly, adding an adapter with only in box support may or may not be possible."

thanks,

wb

0 Kudos
roury
Beginner

Well, to the best of my ability, this card will not support any kind of performance teaming. If you know how to get it done I'm all ears, but I've tried every combination I can conceive of.

Fault tolerance is OK.

Other than that, no other options will work - get the card(s) online and/or apply a static IP. Allowing the team to get it's ip thru a DHCP reservation gives a flaky connection. It'll respond to ping 5-15 times then falls off. Applying a static IP (like should be done) gives no response and it's reporting connectivity to the internal network only.

At this point I've given up and will leave this old server on fault tolerance...the new server is taking over all it's roles anyway, the old dog is just going to be a backup.

0 Kudos