2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2015 1:46 PM by intel_dan

Intel XDK vs MS Visual Studio for NodeJS projects on edison

eco_bach

Since I'm a huge VS fan I followed this excellent tutorial series on using VisualStudio for coding and remote debugging over at codefoster.

Using Visual Studio to Write Node for Devices

has anyone reading this used BOTH the Intel XDK and VS  and is able to comment on the pros and cons of each ?

• 1. Re: Intel XDK vs MS Visual Studio for NodeJS projects on edison
          Intel_Peter

Hello eco_bach,

For what I can find in the web, The Visual Studio’s tool for Edison is developed by the third party team at codeplex.com people, it looks like these people are constantly supporting their tool and it has features like:

• IntelliSense and Editing
          • Debugging
          • Advanced Debugging
          • Remote Debugging Linux
          • Projects
          • TypeScript
          • npm
          • Interactive Window
          • Profiling
          • Azure Deployment
          • Azure Website using Web Deploy
          • Azure Website using Git
          • Azure Cloud Service - Web Role and Worker Role
          • Test Explorer
          • Extensibility
          • Pre and Post Build Actions (running grunt on build)

You can find detailed information about it here: Node.js Tools for Visual Studio - Documentation

On the other hand we have the Intel XDK, it is officially supported by Intel, you have all the official guides on how to use it and it includes features like:

• Integrated hardware and software developer kit for Makers
          • Integrated create, debug, and run tools for JavaScript* on-board application development
          • Streamlined workflow—design, test, and build tools
          • More app stores, run on many IoT devices
          • One codebase for multiple OSs, App Store, and devices

You can find detailed information about it here: https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/57/1e/Intel_XDK_IoT_ProductBrief_12_19.pdf

Peter.

• 2. Re: Intel XDK vs MS Visual Studio for NodeJS projects on edison
            intel_dan

I just wanted to add/clarify that the Intel XDK IoT Edition (which is available for Windows/Linux/OSX) also supports remote debugging (without having to include a special RemoteDebug.js file,etc), and as of the December release (0128) has integrated serial and ssh terminals.