6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2009 3:55 PM by MaraST78

DP35DP BIOS downgrade

MaraST78

Hello.

I have a small problem with latest (as of 21.8.2009) BIOS, v572. After updating to this version, my GTX 260 behaves rather strangley in Vista x64,

in terms of 2D performance. Namely two problems I noticed.

#1: A bit slow opening of explorer windows. To be precise, windows themselves (bordesrs) are opened immediately, but window contents are lagging

and displayed after.

#2: E.g. Opening images in Irfanview is also slow, apparently much slower then before. And picture transitions in Vista's viewer are almost a slideshow.

OTOH, Other 2D performance in various apps is normal and 3D performance is normal as well.

Among many other fixes, this one I think is the cause: Updated support for high power PCIe adapters.

I know which BIOS I had before, but I simply can't downgrade to it, it always fails. I tried v517,507 and 437. I was able to downgrade from previous versions, as I needed to do it in 2 cases, but not in this case. I also tried both ways, .exe from OS and .iso from bootable CD, result is always the same.

My question is, can I try downgrading by removing the BIOS jumper and burning .bio file to do a recovery reflash?

This issue is a bit annoying, but not so much, that I would effectively kill the board.

Thx.

• 1. Re: DP35DP BIOS downgrade
          Aryan2411

Hello,

It is worth giving it a try.

Try a bios recovery using a formatted USB media.

Instructions for Recovery BIOS Updates
          In the unlikely event that a BIOS update is interrupted, it is possible the BIOS may be left in an unusable state. The recovery process requires the chassis to be opened to remove the onboard BIOS Configuration Jumper.

Recovery with Formatted USB Stick

1. Copy the recovery file (*.bio) to a formatted usb disk.
          2. Place the usb disk in the target system.
          3. Shut down the system and unplug AC power.
          4. Open the chassis and remove the BIOS Configuration Jumper. See the Technical Product Specification for details including the location of this jumper.
          5. Power the system on.
          6. Wait 2-5 minutes for the update to complete. When the usb drive LED is lit, the system is copying the recovery code into the FLASH device.
          7. System will either turn off when the recovery process is completed or it will prompt you to turn off the system.
          8. Remove usb disk
          9. Replace the BIOS Configuration Jumper.
          10. Restart system.

Note: these can be found on:
          Website: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/17197/eng/BIOS%20Update%20Readme.pdf
          Page 3

Reference: http://communities.intel.com/message/61073#61073

I think that F7 is not availbe for your board.

All the best,

Regards,

Aryan

• 2. Re: DP35DP BIOS downgrade
            MaraST78

Thx for reply Rajiv.

I know the correct procedure, but what I would like to know is, if it's safe in this case. As I posted above, downgrades from previous versions were not a problem, but it's impossible from 572. I mean, is there a difference from common BIOS update and recovery method? In case of normal flashing, only warning that update was not successful is displayed, but what can potentionally happen with the recovery method? I know that it's a bit specific and I would be solving it with support personell, but I bought an OEM, so the support stuff is just myself.

• 3. Re: DP35DP BIOS downgrade
              Aryan2411

Hello again,

There is no difference between the common bios update and recovery as it uses the same bio file.

The only thing is that when most of the bios update method failed, it is best to do a bios recovery using a CD.

If you cannot downgrade the bios, then there must a problem from the latest bios which is not allowing this to occur. (assuming that you have tested all the bios method correctly.)

Since this is an OEM board, try to get help from your reseller if it is still under warranty.

Otherwise, i dont know any other solution. Have you tried a CMOS clear before attempting the downgrade.

Try to use the Intel Integrator Assistant for the downgrade.

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/software/iia/index.htm

All the best,

Regards,

Aryan

• 4. Re: DP35DP BIOS downgrade
                MaraST78

Company I bought DP35DP from knows nothing about similar issues, unfortunately, but that's rather common .

Anyway, given the circumstances, even though I wasn't sure, I went ahead and did the recovery method. (I did it before, because I'm primarily running Linux and there was no .iso file at that time to download, only .bio file, so I know how it goes). Everything went smoothly, BIOS downgraded. Apparently, it uses the same .bio file, but during the recovery method, Iflash is not being used, maybe that was the problem. Seems like previous versions of Iflash don't like 572 BIOS for some reason.

I hope it also helps others if they hesitate to do the recovery or not.

• 5. Re: DP35DP BIOS downgrade
                  Aryan2411

Hello,

Did you mean that you have been able to downgrade the bios now?

If yes, is anything else that you want to check?

All the best,

Regards,

Aryan

• 6. Re: DP35DP BIOS downgrade
                    MaraST78

Hello Rajiv,

yes, BIOS is downgraded successfully, no errors.

Thank you for your time, I appreciate it.