Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN BSOD in Windows 7 x64 (DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL)

idata
Employee

The x64 drivers for RTM Windows 7 reliably causes a DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL blue screen of death in Windows 7. There are many threads about mysterious BSODs on the uTorrent forums, some of which have been traced back to these wifi drivers. The problem does not exist in the x86 drivers.

Example: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=57397&p=2 http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=57397&p=2

0 Kudos
36 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello lukedude,

I suggest you open a case with the http://supportmail.intel.com/scripts-emf/welcome.aspx?id=1783,1784 Intel Customer Support Contact Center. It would be helpful if you could provide the agent with a "mini-dump" (small mini dump) file.

1. Right-click Computer or My Computer > Properties > Advanced tab > Startup and Recovery (Settings button).
  2. Under "Write debugging information" dropdown, select "Small memory dump (64 KB).
  3. Designate the "Small dump directory" of your choice.

If you are using the Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility to manage your wireless adapter, you may also want to attach a log file.

1. Open PROSet software.
  2. From the menu, click Advanced > Advanced Statistics > Logging tab.
  3. Specify the default folder for saved log files.
  4. Configure logging settings. A logging frequency of 5 seconds and expiration time of 2 hours should suffice.
  5. Click Start Logging.

Thank you,

Tony
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have the exact same problem on my Acer Aspire 6920G with the Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN. Running Windows 7x64. Since so many people have this problem why can't they fix it? Tried with the latest driver

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi everyone,

Just to let you know, I opened a ticket and i hope I will be contacted soon by Intel in order to send the DUMP file.

Best Regards,

Didier

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Please let us know how that goes.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

My Dell Studio 1557 with wifi 5300 agn is only crashing when the files are going from the Laptop to the network (NAS or PC). I can download files with newsleecher without any problems. Copying to the NAS will give blue Screen.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have the same problem with bluescreen, but with file transfer to networkdrive. When I want to copy file larger then 4GB, lets say the file is 5.3GB and copy from Win7 Ultimate x64 to WinXP x32 SP3, after 10 to 20 sec. the bluescreen appears, normal surfing and copying small files is no problem.

I checked the support form but there is no field to add a file, like a minidump, you have no option to select Windows 7 as System and no one from Intel has answerd me yet (my support question was 2 weeks ago). On Vista Ultimate x32 I had no problems with wifi-connection.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, I have been having BSOD after recently upgrading from Win7 32 bit to Win7 64 bit, same network adapter as the OP, I never had these problems with the 32 bit os. Debugging the .dmp it points to NETw5v64.sys as the probable cause.

I also run p2p, first uTorrent, then tried Vuze, same problem with both. If the transfer rates are low, it is fine and will run stable, if I increase the transfer rate by watching a video from my NAS then soon the BSOD will remind me of the issues.

I have tried the Vista and Win7 drivers and get the same results, BSOD. The minidump always points to NETw5v64.sys

Edit: 4GB RAM PC5300

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have rolled back the driver to v11.1.0.86 , installing it from the .inf via device manager. I was pushing between 2 & 3 MB/s for 4 hours with no problems. Been running with this driver for the last 24 hours. All the other drivers dated after v11.1.0.86 (v12/v13) have resulted in BSOD when putting a high load on the NIC.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am checking on your issue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello again,

As mentioned further up in this thread, I suggest you open a case with the http://supportmail.intel.com/scripts-emf/welcome.aspx?id=1783,1784 Intel Customer Support Contact Center. It would be helpful if you could provide the agent with a "mini-dump" (small mini dump) file. Per another post, you will probably have to do so once a case is opened and you can email the file to an agent.

1. Right-click Computer or My Computer > Properties > Advanced tab > Startup and Recovery (Settings button).
  2. Under "Write debugging information" dropdown, select "Small memory dump (64 KB).
  3. Designate the "Small dump directory" of your choice.

If you are using the Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility to manage your wireless adapter, you may also want to attach a log file.

1. Open PROSet software.
  2. From the menu, click Advanced > Advanced Statistics > Logging tab.
  3. Specify the default folder for saved log files.
  4. Configure logging settings. A logging frequency of 5 seconds and expiration time of 2 hours should suffice.
  5. Click Start Logging.

Thank you,

Tony
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I see that drivers 13.0.0.107 have been released. Can anyone confirm if the issue reproduces on that version of the drivers? From notmetoo's comment, it looks like there's still an issue. http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18212&lang=eng http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18212&lang=eng.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

According to one of my collegues the driver still causes BSOD on x64.

You should try to update the audio driver too, since sometimes the conflict is with this one (even if it's generated by the WLAN driver).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi guys,

I've been having the same problem. I have a WiFi Link 5100 AGN. I've tried the win7 driver (12.1.1.1) and the latest one from Intel (13.0.0.1007) but I still got the damn BSOD whenever I used uTorrent (orn any other torrent software). I finally manage to "fix" the problem, at least until Intel decides to provide their customers with a working driver for win7 x64.

Anyhow, I just disabled the 802.11n mode from the advanced properties of the WiFi Link. I haven't got the BSOD since then.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

Please set your system to create kernel DMP and update when you have a new fresh DMP file using driver 13.0.0.107.

please let me know once you have it, i'll send you a link to upload the file.

thanks,

Gadi

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Same problem with a Dell Studio 1557 with wifi 5300 agn. Blue Screens after heavy load. Copy files to NAS. Driver 13.0.0.107. Windows 7 64 bit

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hey all, I just wanted to say I got the exact same problems as mentioned above. Running 4965AGN on a Dell XPS M1530 on Windows 7 x64. Tried all kind of different drivers for win7 and vista but always get this bluescreen on heavy net load. As someone suggested I turned off the n-mode and it seems to help but still I want to utilize my n router as well so I hope the problem is looked upon by Intel as it seems like a faulty windows 7 driver.

Please keep us updated.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am having the exact same problem discussed here, but on an HP Pavilion DV9700 laptop. I just upgraded from Vista 64-Bit to Win7 Ultimate 64-Bit. I'm using the latest Intel 13.1.1.1. drives and still get sporadic connectivity issues and BSODs. As others have stated, this only occurs under heavy wifi network loads. This is making the connection between my laptop and my Media Center Extender worthless.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Exactly the same problems here. Been driving me crazy! I have posted a blogpost about this and linked it to this thread as there is a massive amount of mis-information on this driver problem. Let's hope Intel fix this soon! Only today Dell had replaced the WiFi card to try to fix this issue, thinking it may have been a hardware fault.

Please come back and tell us if you hear anything from Intel!

Here is my post:

http://msmvps.com/blogs/thenakedmvp/archive/2010/02/06/intel-4965agn-blue-screen-crash-on-windows-7-x64-under-heavy-load.aspx

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi there,

Just to keep you in the loop, Intel contacted me today and I sent the dump file to the engineer.

Looking forward for a good news for all people who use Wireless N

Didier

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for posting back! If you need more dump files for them, let me know!

Cheers

N

0 Kudos